News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Baruch

Started by Sorginak, August 25, 2017, 10:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorginak

Baruch

Yep ... and Baruch was the name of the secretary (amanuensis) of the prophet Jeremiah.  Sometimes Paul used a secretary to write out his thoughts in his letters to the churches, the secretary adding his little bit at the end of the letter.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 25, 2017, 11:49:40 PM
Yep ... and Baruch was the name of the secretary (amanuensis) of the prophet Jeremiah.  Sometimes Paul used a secretary to write out his thoughts in his letters to the churches, the secretary adding his little bit at the end of the letter.

Ah well, the secretaries do some work.  Credit acceptable.  And "secretaries" in both the old and new sense...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Can anyone understand what they read?

Deut32:39
See now that I, yes I, am he;
there is no god beside me.
I put to death and I make alive;
I wound and I heal.
No one saves anyone from my hand!

Part of a longer poem, called the Song of Moses.

If one understands it, then one can see its value as an elliptical statement about reality.  Just as understanding Macbeth, the play by Shakespeare, will help you understand the destructive power of giving into ambition.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 23, 2017, 12:01:58 AM

I wound and I heal.

If one understands it, then one can see its value as an elliptical statement about reality.  Just as understanding Macbeth, the play by Shakespeare, will help you understand the destructive power of giving into ambition.

Read rather literally, it says" See now that I, yes I, am he;
I wound and I heal.

Meaning the only god, killer, wounder, unavoidable.  And changer of his actions. 

That is a pretty standard deity.  As we post on in days, you show more and more often that you are just another standard christian, threatening all of us with punishment for lacking your faith in the supernatural. 

Why are you actually here?  You are just another theist bothering a group of atheists who wish to talk to each other.  Other than trying to trying to convert we atheists more eruditely than most evangelical theists, what is your point?  You aren't going to convert ME or most of the posters here.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on September 23, 2017, 12:01:58 AM

I wound and I heal.

God is just bragging about how badass he is. He's the one who gives lives and takes it away. He holds all power, and resistance is futile. This is the same god who thought it'd be a good idea to plague Egypt every time the Pharaoh refused to release the Hebrews, while simultaneously performing mind control in order to prevent the Pharaoh from giving in too soon. The entire point of all of that was so that God could show off his super powers.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 23, 2017, 01:44:55 AM
God is just bragging about how badass he is. He's the one who gives lives and takes it away. He holds all power, and resistance is futile. This is the same god who thought it'd be a good idea to plague Egypt every time the Pharaoh refused to release the Hebrews, while simultaneously performing mind control in order to prevent the Pharaoh from giving in too soon. The entire point of all of that was so that God could show off his super powers.

Well said!  No theist can speak other of a deity than mentioning the all-power and all-control demanded over its adherents.  I have no use for that nonsense.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2017, 01:22:02 AM
Read rather literally, it says" See now that I, yes I, am he;
I wound and I heal.

Meaning the only god, killer, wounder, unavoidable.  And changer of his actions. 

That is a pretty standard deity.  As we post on in days, you show more and more often that you are just another standard christian, threatening all of us with punishment for lacking your faith in the supernatural. 

Why are you actually here?  You are just another theist bothering a group of atheists who wish to talk to each other.  Other than trying to trying to convert we atheists more eruditely than most evangelical theists, what is your point?  You aren't going to convert ME or most of the posters here.

Deuteronomy is a Jewish scripture.  Originally Christianity was a Jewish heresy, and I suspect so was Islam.  Our most important product was two of the largest heresies so far ;-)

As a Jew I don't convert.  Even if you were Jewish, I wouldn't try to convert you to more orthodox belief/practice.  Even if I was Israeli (am not), I wouldn't try to get you to join Likud.  I used an example of a scriptural text, as an example of writing ... which I don't think most people here would understand (anymore than most of us would understand an equation from QFT).  But English is more accessible as an example than QFT.  So you missed the point.  No problemo ... it wasn't for you anyway.  You continue to project your paranoia ... that is a medical concern, not a philosophical or other concern.  Us old guys tend to develop problems, I know myself it is true.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sorginak

Quote from: Baruch on September 23, 2017, 03:44:38 PM
Deuteronomy is a Jewish scripture.  Originally Christianity was a Jewish heresy, and I suspect so was Islam.  Our most important product was two of the largest heresies so far ;-)

As a Jew I don't convert.  Even if you were Jewish, I wouldn't try to convert you to more orthodox belief/practice.  Even if I was Israeli (am not), I wouldn't try to get you to join Likud.  I used an example of a scriptural text, as an example of writing ... which I don't think most people here would understand (anymore than most of us would understand an equation from QFT).  But English is more accessible as an example than QFT.  So you missed the point.  No problemo ... it wasn't for you anyway.  You continue to project your paranoia ... that is a medical concern, not a philosophical or other concern.  Us old guys tend to develop problems, I know myself it is true.

Some of those Jews are rather peeved that Christians stole the OT to use as the warped prerequisite for the NT.  Are you a peeved Jew, Baruch?  I wouldn't blame you.

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 23, 2017, 01:44:55 AM

My G-d ... as I defined it to the new young guy today ... is bad ass.  Life is bad ass (tautology since G-d is Life).  Get over it.  I don't like it either, but I have to call it as I see it, not run away and hide in my safe space like a Millennial.  Thank G-d my parent's generation didn't behave that way ... but maybe they hadn't drunk so much fluoridated water in their youth.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Sorginak on September 23, 2017, 03:46:34 PM
Some of those Jews are rather peeved that Christians stole the OT to use as the warped prerequisite for the NT.  Are you a peeved Jew, Baruch?  I wouldn't blame you.

I am open minded.  But yes, there are some Jews (see Likud) who would exterminate every Gentile off the planet, starting with the Christians .. or maybe it is the Muslims ... it is hard to keep up with Israeli politics ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2017, 01:56:23 AM
Well said!  No theist can speak other of a deity than mentioning the all-power and all-control demanded over its adherents.  I have no use for that nonsense.

Americans in particular, think they are individuals with solipsistic powers.  Of course we can't stand anyone with power over us, though that power exists.  Wage slavery, debt slavery ... it would be a relief to have a G-d be the asshole, rather than the ape men ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sorginak

Quote from: Baruch on September 23, 2017, 03:50:00 PM
My G-d ... as I defined it to the new young guy today ... is bad ass.  Life is bad ass (tautology since G-d is Life).  Get over it.  I don't like it either, but I have to call it as I see it, not run away and hide in my safe space like a Millennial.  Thank G-d my parent's generation didn't behave that way ... but maybe they hadn't drunk so much fluoridated water in their youth.

Hopefully, the G-d who exists solely in your mind does not have "monstrous tyrant" attached to his resume, but you still might be one of those apologetic Jews who excuses such abhorrent behavior for badassery. 

Sorginak

Quote from: Baruch on September 23, 2017, 03:53:03 PM
Americans in particular, think they are individuals with solipsistic powers.  Of course we can't stand anyone with power over us, though that power exists.  Wage slavery, debt slavery ... it would be a relief to have a G-d be the asshole, rather than the ape men ...

No doubt, man is to blame.  He created G-d, after all.  Of course, those men who believe in G-d are also to blame, for they just love to do things in that G-d's name.

Baruch

Quote from: Sorginak on September 23, 2017, 03:53:43 PM
Hopefully, the G-d who exists solely in your mind does not have "monstrous tyrant" attached to his resume, but you still might be one of those apologetic Jews who excuses such abhorrent behavior for badassery.

A real Jew is about ethics.  So can never be Likud.  Can never rationalize obviously bad behavior.  That is why Israel is doomed ... it is evil.  In the 20th century, some hurting Jews looked into the Abyss, and the Abyss looked back into them and took them over, killed their Jewish soul.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.