News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Chess Thread II

Started by Unbeliever, August 25, 2017, 04:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

I don't recall if anyone's brought up Quantum Chess here yet... looks interesting.  It's on Steam; I think I'll pick it up next time I have some slack in my paycheck.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on June 28, 2018, 10:52:06 AM
I don't recall if anyone's brought up Quantum Chess here yet... looks interesting.  It's on Steam; I think I'll pick it up next time I have some slack in my paycheck.

Best move in Wizard's Chess?  Rex checkmato!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on June 28, 2018, 10:52:06 AM

I think I will leave that to the kids, who can internalize new rules without the confusion of knowing the old ones.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on June 28, 2018, 09:08:30 PM
I think I will leave that to the kids, who can internalize new rules without the confusion of knowing the old ones.
Well, all the rules of chess apply, with basically one change and one addition.  The addition is the superposition move where either you moved or didn't move, and the change is that the king actually needs to be captured, not merely checkmated.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on June 29, 2018, 09:10:21 AM
Well, all the rules of chess apply, with basically one change and one addition.  The addition is the superposition move where either you moved or didn't move, and the change is that the king actually needs to be captured, not merely checkmated.

Isn't the rule of "checkmate" a situation where the king WOULD be forcibly captured on the next turn, so there is no point in continuing?  Checkmate is just proof of King capture on the next turn.

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on July 02, 2018, 12:33:49 AM
Isn't the rule of "checkmate" a situation where the king WOULD be forcibly captured on the next turn, so there is no point in continuing?  Checkmate is just proof of King capture on the next turn.
Yes, but in QC, the king can be in a state of superposition, as can the attacking piece(s), so checkmate isn't enough; the pieces need to actually be in one state or the other.

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on July 02, 2018, 09:24:34 AM
Yes, but in QC, the king can be in a state of superposition, as can the attacking piece(s), so checkmate isn't enough; the pieces need to actually be in one state or the other.

Remember though, don't anger the Wookie!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: trdsf on July 02, 2018, 09:24:34 AM
But when does the wave function collapse?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 02, 2018, 01:09:51 PM
But when does the wave function collapse?
There are rules about that; I don't know them all yet, but a piece must come out of superposition eventually.  Certainly when trying to capture a piece, you necessarily find out whether it's actually there or not.  There may be other circumstances.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on July 02, 2018, 01:24:17 PM
There are rules about that; I don't know them all yet, but a piece must come out of superposition eventually.  Certainly when trying to capture a piece, you necessarily find out whether it's actually there or not.  There may be other circumstances.

I think I will drop out of this thread, LOL!  For now anyway.

And I had a weird dream a couple nights ago (I remember dreams).  I was playing a former office manager and a friend, and for some reason, they got to move my pieces around and take some off, and I won anyway.  As I recall, I had 3 rooks on back rank, they grabbed one, and I mated.  Dreams can be very strange. 

Unbeliever

Here's a game I played yesterday that was a lot of fun, in which I actually managed to sacrifice a Rook (I love sacrificing, even though Tartakover said "It's always better to sacrifice your opponent's men").

It's not a long game, only 28 moves.

I was playing the White pieces:

1. d4......d5
2. Bf4.....Bf5

I'm playing an opening called the London system, which is always fun, though it can be tricky.

3. Nf3.....e6
4. Nbd2...Bd6
5. Bg3.....h6
6. c4.......dxc4
7. e4.......Bg5
8. Bxc4...Bxg3

This is usually not a good idea, since it gives White's King Rook too much scope - especially if Black intends to castle on that side.

9. hxg3...Ne7
10. Qb3...b6
11. Rd1...c6
12. Nf1....b5
13. Be2....0-0
14. Ne3....Bxf3
15. Bxf3...Qa5+
16. Kf1

I wasn't worried about castling, since I wanted my Rook to maintain access to the half-open h file.

16..........Na6
17. a3.....Rad8
18. d5.....Rd6
19. e5.....Rdd8
20. d6.....Nd5
21. Nxd5..cxd5
22. Rc1....Rc8
23. Ke2...Nc5
24. Qe3...Qb6

Notice that nearly all of Black's pieces are on the Queen side (other than his f8 Rook), and since the center is blocked, he can't get any of his pieces to the Kingside to help defend his King, but White can play his pieces to either side, as needed, so it's time to take advantage of that.

25. Rxh6..gxh6
26. Qxh6..Nb3
27.Qg5+..Kh1
28. Rh1 mate

He was annoyed at me the whole game, because he wanted to play speed chess, with a 5 minute time limit for each side. But I hate doing that - I feel speed games are not chess, they're just "beat the clock."
God Not Found

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 11, 2018, 03:04:20 PM
Here's a game I played yesterday that was a lot of fun, in which I actually managed to sacrifice a Rook (I love sacrificing, even though Tartakover said "It's always better to sacrifice your opponent's men").

It's not a long game, only 28 moves.

I was playing the White pieces:

1. d4......d5
2. Bf4.....Bf5

I'm playing an opening called the London system, which is always fun, though it can be tricky.

3. Nf3.....e6
4. Nbd2...Bd6
5. Bg3.....h6
6. c4.......dxc4
7. e4.......Bg5
8. Bxc4...Bxg3

This is usually not a good idea, since it gives White's King Rook too much scope - especially if Black intends to castle on that side.

9. hxg3...Ne7
10. Qb3...b6
11. Rd1...c6
12. Nf1....b5
13. Be2....0-0
14. Ne3....Bxf3
15. Bxf3...Qa5+
16. Kf1

I wasn't worried about castling, since I wanted my Rook to maintain access to the half-open h file.

16..........Na6
17. a3.....Rad8
18. d5.....Rd6
19. e5.....Rdd8
20. d6.....Nd5
21. Nxd5..cxd5
22. Rc1....Rc8
23. Ke2...Nc5
24. Qe3...Qb6

Notice that nearly all of Black's pieces are on the Queen side (other than his f8 Rook), and since the center is blocked, he can't get any of his pieces to the Kingside to help defend his King, but White can play his pieces to either side, as needed, so it's time to take advantage of that.

25. Rxh6..gxh6
26. Qxh6..Nb3
27.Qg5+..Kh1
28. Rh1 mate

He was annoyed at me the whole game, because he wanted to play speed chess, with a 5 minute time limit for each side. But I hate doing that - I feel speed games are not chess, they're just "beat the clock."

If you ever want to play a game, I'm game.
Cave and I played a game in which we could pass on a move days later.
While that was long and did save my skin in one or two occasions as I needed a long time to find a good counter-move, it did seem fair seeing as we live in drastically different time zones.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Unbeliever

I guess I'd be up for that, I have a small set I can use here at the library, and I have enough time, so sure, let's do it. Let me know when you feel ready.
God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 12, 2018, 01:47:09 PM
I guess I'd be up for that, I have a small set I can use here at the library, and I have enough time, so sure, let's do it. Let me know when you feel ready.
Play him.  But he is good.  I might get back into this and try the winner.

Setting up the pieces where the cats wont get at them to "help" me set them up wrong would be good.  I found a plastic tub that fits over my table, so I probably wouldn't set them back up wrong again. 

Looking forward to watching your game.