News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Chess Thread II

Started by Unbeliever, August 25, 2017, 04:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

I didn't see it coming either, since I thought he'd recapture with the a pawn, doubling pawns on the b file and giving me a strategic target with the weakened pawns. Then I was going to put my rook on the 7th rank, which is where rooks like to be - then they're called "pigs" because they can eat up a lot of the unmoved pawns or get behind any that have moved and gobble them up. Two rooks on the 7th are called a "hog", for similar reasons.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

Here's another game, in which I'm playing the white side, again against Dave. It had an interesting finish where I sacrificed two minor pieces and managed to get a forced mate.

1. c4......e6
2. Nc3....Nf6
3. d4......d5
4. Nf3.....c6
5. Bf4.....dc4
6. e4......Bb4
7. a3......Bc3
8. bc3.....Ne4
9. Qc2.....Nd6
10. Bd6...Qd6
11. Bc4....0-0
12. 0-0....Nd7
13. Rfe1....Nf6
14. Ne5....Nd7
15. Rab1...b5
16. Bd3.....g6
17. Ng6.....fg6
18. Bg6.....hg6
19. Qg6+...Kh8
20. Re3......Rf6
21. Rh3 mate
God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 29, 2017, 05:48:24 PM
Here's another game, in which I'm playing the white side, again against Dave. It had an interesting finish where I sacrificed two minor pieces and managed to get a forced mate.

1. c4......e6
2. Nc3....Nf6
3. d4......d5
4. Nf3.....c6
5. Bf4.....dc4
6. e4......Bb4
7. a3......Bc3
8. bc3.....Ne4
9. Qc2.....Nd6
10. Bd6...Qd6
11. Bc4....0-0
12. 0-0....Nd7
13. Re1....Nf6
14. Ne5....Nd7
15. Rab1...b5
16. Bd3.....g6
17. Ng6.....fg6
18. Bg6.....hg6
19. Qg6+...Kh8
20. Re3......Rf6
21. Rh3 mate

13.  Re1 is uncertain.  Both W rooks can move there.  This is a typical problem in algebraic notation.  Positional notation cannot make this error.  Please correct the notation so that I can follow your game (and I want to).
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Cavebear

You have gotten the 2 games you posted wrong.  If you get one right, I may play you.

trdsf

Chess is a game which I have always wanted to play well, but I just don't have the ability to see more than half a move ahead.  I find it fascinating, but I can't wedge it into my head what makes one move brilliant and another move merely a move.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on August 31, 2017, 11:32:47 AM
Chess is a game which I have always wanted to play well, but I just don't have the ability to see more than half a move ahead.  I find it fascinating, but I can't wedge it into my head what makes one move brilliant and another move merely a move.

It's hard and burns my brain to play sometimes.  When I was 20, I earned a trophy in an open tourney beating better players.  The next week in another tourney, I fell for a fool's mate.  I was all worn out.  But then there are sometimes the great moments when you sometimes see a series of moves the opponent can't parry and you feel like you actually understand the game.

And then the next game you are as dumb as a brick.

Chess is a humbling experience.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on August 31, 2017, 02:39:03 AM
13.  Re1 is uncertain.  Both W rooks can move there.  This is a typical problem in algebraic notation.  Positional notation cannot make this error.  Please correct the notation so that I can follow your game (and I want to).
You're right again! Sorry about that. That's what I get for posting the moves without having a board in front of me and checking them as I go. I will from now on.

The 13th move is Rfe1.
God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 31, 2017, 12:05:34 PM
You're right again! Sorry about that. That's what I get for posting the moves without having a board in front of me and checking them as I go. I will from now on.

The 13th move is Rfe1.
Whew!  I was sure I was doing the moves wrong this time.  It is easy to get algebraic wrong and I have done that often.  To this day, I have to record my moves positionally.  I admit algebraic is more logically efficient, but I can't read it and picture the board.  With positional notation, I can.

I got it right on the 4th try, forcing myself to count the board on every move....  LOL!  Had to print out your moves and putting the paper right at the board!  Finally got it right that way. 

Saw the mate then coming at 16...  Nice game.

I have neat chess set - Medieval White and Brown pieces.  I have the chess set in the middle of the room so I can walk around it at look at the positions from all directions.  I used to have a larger weighted set on a homemade board but it "mysteriously disappeared" as some apartment roommates left.   I should build another board.

I haven't played a real person slow game in years and suck at computer chess (too fast).  I miss psyching my opponent.

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Cavebear

Unbeliever

I have one of those vinyl boards with the letters across the top/bottom and the numbers along the sides. I can use descriptive notation too, so next time I'll post both notations, if it's easier for you.

Mine looks like this:

God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 31, 2017, 02:04:50 PM
I have one of those vinyl boards with the letters across the top/bottom and the numbers along the sides. I can use descriptive notation too, so next time I'll post both notations, if it's easier for you.

Mine looks like this:

That settles it.  New board, notations on the frame!

Baruch

Will never have the time.  But I still have my miniature board made of semiprecious stone, with similar pieces, from India.  Home of the game.  The rooks should be elephants.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 31, 2017, 09:52:30 PM
Will never have the time.  But I still have my miniature board made of semiprecious stone, with similar pieces, from India.  Home of the game.  The rooks should be elephants.

Yeah, yeah, and the board was half the pieces, there were 4 players, the K was more powerful etc.  Do you think I don't know that stuff? 

And I wasn't offerring to play you.  Someone who knows the game.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 04, 2017, 01:20:07 AM
Yeah, yeah, and the board was half the pieces, there were 4 players, the K was more powerful etc.  Do you think I don't know that stuff? 

And I wasn't offerring to play you.  Someone who knows the game.

That's OK, I was just wanting to learn the notation and follow other people's games.  But I keep having to spend all my time posting here ;-)

So if you will put one grain of rice on the first square, two on the next square and double each time until we get to the 64th square ...

Oh I know, you are European, so you will get mad, overturn King Offa's chess board, and lose your head
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.