News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Chess Thread II

Started by Unbeliever, August 25, 2017, 04:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 04, 2017, 11:24:49 AM
That's OK, I was just wanting to learn the notation and follow other people's games.  But I keep having to spend all my time posting here ;-)

So if you will put one grain of rice on the first square, two on the next square and double each time until we get to the 64th square ...

Oh I know, you are European, so you will get mad, overturn King Offa's chess board, and lose your head

That is SUCH an old trick.  You don't even have to really know maths to catch that one.

But I'll talk about notation and games if you want.  Always a friend to chess players...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

When I write my games down I always use a check mark

to indicate when a player is in check. I don't know why it isn't used by everyone, but I seem to be the only one who's ever thought of it.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 05, 2017, 01:57:00 PM

to indicate when a player is in check. I don't know why it isn't used by everyone, but I seem to be the only one who's ever thought of it.
If I had to make a guess, I'd think the + was chosen definitively over the âœ" probably after the advent of the typewriter because the + is (or at least became) standard on the keyboard and the âœ" wasn't and isn't.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

That sounds reasonable. Why no check mark on the keyboard, though? I guess they had to pick and choose, since there was only so much room.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 05, 2017, 03:52:13 PM
That sounds reasonable. Why no check mark on the keyboard, though? I guess they had to pick and choose, since there was only so much room.

No problem in recent times.  Unlimited typefaces, a large number of possible characters, but only on compatible computers.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I found a local coffee shop to play chess in. I played a couple yesterday - won one, lost one. The one I lost was more interesting than the one I won, so I'll post it later today, when I get to the library.
God Not Found

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 05, 2017, 03:52:13 PM
And the plus sign has many more uses than the check mark.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

OK, I checked all the moves (thrice!), and I'm pretty sure they're all correct. I played the white pieces against a fellow named Rick. I lost an exchange about halfway through, but was holding my own for a while, until I missed his 39th move with his Bishop to b6, which forced resignation, since I'd have lost at least a piece. Even though I lost this game it was still a pretty interesting game, especially the final position. This time I posted some comments, too. I hope y'all don't mind.

1. d4......Nf6
2. c4......g6
3. Nc3....Bg7
4. e4......d6

Rick has allowed me to build a strong center, which he intends to undermine if he can. This style of play is called hypermodern.

5. Nf3.....0-0
6. Bd3.....Bg4
7. h3.......Bf3
8. Qf3

I was a bit surprised that he was willing to exchange his good Bishop, since his bad Bishop is likely to be locked in for a while, but which turned out to be the piece he won with.

8.............Nbd7
9. Be3......e5

He's beginning to try to attack my center.

10. d5

In order to keep the long diagonal closed to his Bishop.

10...........c6
11. b4

To keep his d7 Knight from c5.

11............cd
12. cd.......Rc8

Posting his Rook on the open file, as he should.

13. Rc1

Can't let him control the file.

13............Nb6
14. 0-0

In order to connect the Rooks.

14............Nc4
15. Bc4.....Rc4
16. Ba7.....Rb4

I'd thought he might try moving his b-pawn to b6, to try to trap my Bishop, then move his Queen to a8 to win it. But I would've stymied that by Qe3 after the pawn move, so if he played Qa8 I could just take the pawn with my Bishop.

17. Rc2

To control b2, where I definitely don't want his Rook to move.

17............Nd7
18. Be3

Now trapping my Bishop was a real threat, so I just brought it back out of danger.

18............f5
19. Rfc1....f4
20. Bd2.....Nb6
21. Qd3.....Rd4
22. Qb5.....Nc4!

Here I should've played my Knight to b1 to protect the Bishop and the square a3, and would also have threatened his Knight (with my Rooks), but I wasn't looking closely enough, so I lost the coming exchange.

23. Be1.....Na3!
24. Qb7

Might as well get what I can.

24.............Nc2
25. Rc2......Rf7
26. Qb3.....Rc7
27. Ne2.....Rd1
28. Kf1......f3
29. gf........Qh4
30. Ng1.....Rc2
31. Qc2.....Rd4
32. Qc8+...Bf8
33. Qe6+...Kg7
34. Ke2.....Qe7
35. Qe7.....Be7
36. a3

So I could protect my Bishop which I wanted to put on b4.

36............Bd8
37. Bb4.....Bc7
38. Ke3??

This was a terrible move. I should have kept my King off the dark squares that his Bishop travels on. But I needed a square for my Knight, so I should've played Ke1. I also wanted to move my f-pawn to f4 to try to trade one of my doubled pawns. Plus, I wanted to get my King in the center, which is normally a good place for it in the endgame...but not this time.

38............Rd1
39. Ne2.....Bb6+
40. Resigns

I can only interpose the Knight (or Bishop) and must lose at least a piece, so resignation was clearly justified.

All in all I thought I played fairly well, but I have done better. I like playing against strong opponents, since it's more challenging. I often move too fast, before I've really seen as deeply into the position as I should.

I could post the game I won yesterday, but my opponent was not as strong as Rick, and the game was too easy, not all that interesting.

God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 06, 2017, 02:20:48 PM
OK, I checked all the moves (thrice!), and I'm pretty sure they're all correct. I played the white pieces against a fellow named Rick. I lost an exchange about halfway through, but was holding my own for a while, until I missed his 39th move with his Bishop to b6, which forced resignation, since I'd have lost at least a piece. Even though I lost this game it was still a pretty interesting game, especially the final position. This time I posted some comments, too. I hope y'all don't mind.

1. d4......Nf6
2. c4......g6
3. Nc3....Bg7
4. e4......d6

Rick has allowed me to build a strong center, which he intends to undermine if he can. This style of play is called hypermodern.

5. Nf3.....0-0
6. Bd3.....Bg4
7. h3.......Bf3
8. Qf3

I was a bit surprised that he was willing to exchange his good Bishop, since his bad Bishop is likely to be locked in for a while, but which turned out to be the piece he won with.

8.............Nbd7
9. Be3......e5

He's beginning to try to attack my center.

10. d5

In order to keep the long diagonal closed to his Bishop.

10...........c6
11. b4

To keep his d7 Knight from c5.

11............cd
12. cd.......Rc8

Posting his Rook on the open file, as he should.

13. Rc1

Can't let him control the file.

13............Nb6
14. 0-0

In order to connect the Rooks.

14............Nc4
15. Bc4.....Rc4
16. Ba7.....Rb4

I'd thought he might try moving his b-pawn to b6, to try to trap my Bishop, then move his Queen to a8 to win it. But I would've stymied that by Qe3 after the pawn move, so if he played Qa8 I could just take the pawn with my Bishop.

17. Rc2

To control b2, where I definitely don't want his Rook to move.

17............Nd7
18. Be3

Now trapping my Bishop was a real threat, so I just brought it back out of danger.

18............f5
19. Rfc1....f4
20. Bd2.....Nb6
21. Qd3.....Rd4
22. Qb5.....Nc4!

Here I should've played my Knight to b1 to protect the Bishop and the square a3, and would also have threatened his Knight (with my Rooks), but I wasn't looking closely enough, so I lost the coming exchange.

23. Be1.....Na3!
24. Qb7

Might as well get what I can.

24.............Nc2
25. Rc2......Rf7
26. Qb3.....Rc7
27. Ne2.....Rd1
28. Kf1......f3
29. gf........Qh4
30. Ng1.....Rc2
31. Qc2.....Rd4
32. Qc8+...Bf8
33. Qe6+...Kg7
34. Ke2.....Qe7
35. Qe7.....Be7
36. a3

So I could protect my Bishop which I wanted to put on b4.

36............Bd8
37. Bb4.....Bc7
38. Ke3??

This was a terrible move. I should have kept my King off the dark squares that his Bishop travels on. But I needed a square for my Knight, so I should've played Ke1. I also wanted to move my f-pawn to f4 to try to trade one of my doubled pawns. Plus, I wanted to get my King in the center, which is normally a good place for it in the endgame...but not this time.

38............Rd1
39. Ne2.....Bb6+
40. Resigns

I can only interpose the Knight (or Bishop) and must lose at least a piece, so resignation was clearly justified.

All in all I thought I played fairly well, but I have done better. I like playing against strong opponents, since it's more challenging. I often move too fast, before I've really seen as deeply into the position as I should.

I could post the game I won yesterday, but my opponent was not as strong as Rick, and the game was too easy, not all that interesting.

OK, playing the game, noting you comments.  Be back soon.

Cavebear

29. gf... doesn't make sense.  Sorry. 

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 05, 2017, 01:57:00 PM

+ sign is standard, but I would sure know a check symbol...

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on September 07, 2017, 03:41:18 AM
29. gf... doesn't make sense.  Sorry. 

That's the g-pawn capturing on the f-file.
God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 07, 2017, 10:47:23 AM
That's the g-pawn capturing on the f-file.

Damn, I'm going to have to replay the game again.  I don't have that move possible.  Are you SURE?  Your 0-2 on moves... 

Unbeliever

Black's 28th move was to move his f-pawn to f3, threatening my Knight, and I captured it (the f-pawn) with my g2 pawn.
God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 07, 2017, 03:32:44 PM
Black's 28th move was to move his f-pawn to f3, threatening my Knight, and I captured it (the f-pawn) with my g2 pawn.

Ok. let me replay it.  I must have messed up a move.