News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

New Toy

Started by PopeyesPappy, January 11, 2020, 11:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeyesPappy

Got eight knives shaped and quenched this weekend. They are in the toaster now for the first of a couple of tempering cycles.

Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

fencerider

"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

fencerider

"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

PopeyesPappy

Thanks for all the links. As far as Jay goes, he practices metallurgy at a level unobtainable by most hobbyists. The equipment required to do that kind of work puts it into "I won the lottery" range for me.

I looked at the heat treat page but haven't read the whole thing. While it looks like it could be very informative it seems to lack some very basic things that would be very useful like tables of heat treat temperature and times for different steels.

fencerider

be nice to have a heat treatment table with all the info in one place. So far I only find heat treatment info by looking at seller's data sheets

PopeyesPappy

Well poop. It's a long weekend, and I had plans to work on knives all weekend, but my cheap Chinese VFD blew a transistor a little while ago so there will be no grinding until I get a new one. I think I'll go ahead and bite the bullet and buy a KBAC-27D.

PopeyesPappy

The offending transistor.

Gawdzilla Sama

There was a swordsmith in Yokosuka that I used to watch when I had the time. There was a line outside his forge on a side street. If you crossed that line without permission his helpers would shoo you away. I'd been warned about that and maintained a respectful distance. I visited once a week for about a year before he waved me and offered me a blade to inspect. I bowed and took the blade, then I moved to a rack of bladed and compared it next to another one. (I had seen him taking extraordinary care with that one.) I didn't judge but my eyes lingered on the good one for a few minutes. When I turned around the whole shop bowed to me. Warm and fuzzy.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

PopeyesPappy

My first forged knife. Friday afternoon this was a chunk of 1095 steel, a piece of wood and a stainless steel rod.

PopeyesPappy

This weekend's projects.

A pair of zebra wood handled bush craft knives.

started work on a camp knife made from 5160 steel.

This is the first time I've tried to use 5160. Up until now everything has been 1095.

PopeyesPappy

Just finished up the knife that is shown on the grinding jig in the previous post.

Next up is sheath for it.