News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The 'REAL' 10 Commandments

Started by Mike Cl, August 24, 2017, 10:39:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 19, 2017, 02:32:12 AM
You seem to fear "others".  Care to explain why?

I fear no one, but I "respect" everyone.  Meaning ... I pay attention to a drunk in a bar with a knife or gun ;-)  I am multi-ethnic in origin myself.  White Supremacy is so ... inaccurate and stupid.  It made some temporary sense 117 years ago.  Jewish Supremacy is beyond ridiculous ... as well.  Since I choose to identify as a Jew, I know I am putting a big target on my back.  But I don't wear my yarmulka outside ;-)  A Black person in the US can't blend in like I can.  If I had chosen to identify as Irish (and I could) ... I would know that I am putting an English target on my back.  Choose your blarney wisely.

So why not be a cosmopolitan generic human of all Star Trek culture?  It is a TV show/movie.  It isn't real.  I needed something more specific to identify with rather than generic human or generic male or even generic American.  Because I am a specific human being, I am not average, nobody is.

It is fine with me, if all the Europeans end up as mixed Eurasian-African Muslims, speaking Franco-German.  It is also fine with me if all the N Americans end up as mixed Hispanic Catholics, speaking Spanglish.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 19, 2017, 01:17:15 PM
I fear no one, but I "respect" everyone.  Meaning ... I pay attention to a drunk in a bar with a knife or gun ;-)  I am multi-ethnic in origin myself.  White Supremacy is so ... inaccurate and stupid.  It made some temporary sense 117 years ago.  Jewish Supremacy is beyond ridiculous ... as well.  Since I choose to identify as a Jew, I know I am putting a big target on my back.  But I don't wear my yarmulka outside ;-)  A Black person in the US can't blend in like I can.  If I had chosen to identify as Irish (and I could) ... I would know that I am putting an English target on my back.  Choose your blarney wisely.

So why not be a cosmopolitan generic human of all Star Trek culture?  It is a TV show/movie.  It isn't real.  I needed something more specific to identify with rather than generic human or generic male or even generic American.  Because I am a specific human being, I am not average, nobody is.

It is fine with me, if all the Europeans end up as mixed Eurasian-African Muslims, speaking Franco-German.  It is also fine with me if all the N Americans end up as mixed Hispanic Catholics, speaking Spanglish.

Well said.  And here I wondered if you were a Jesuit...  Take that as a debating compliment.  And you could still be, they are allowed to lie.  But if I may offer a small joke (and saying it is one matters)...

A guy visited Ireland in the 70s.  Knowing of the fights between the Catholics and Protestants, he had a plan. 

Sure enough, one evening, he felt a knife at his back.  "Declare yerself" the voice said. 

"I'm Jewish"!

And the voice said "I must be the luckiest Arab in Ireland"...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Yes, I have debated with a guy who interrogated Iraqis in Bagdad.  He taught me a thing or two.  It is impossible not to say false things (humans don't know anything) but it isn't impossible to not lie ... you just have to be sincere.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 19, 2017, 09:37:15 PM
Yes, I have debated with a guy who interrogated Iraqis in Bagdad.  He taught me a thing or two.  It is impossible not to say false things (humans don't know anything) but it isn't impossible to not lie ... you just have to be sincere.

Nice deceitful double negatives!  "impossible not to say false things"  Or "isn't impossible to not lie"...

How about stating them in the positive mode to make them clear?  Or I will.  I would rather you said it "un-double-negative yourself. 

Do you think you are talking to fools?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2017, 02:07:58 AM
Nice deceitful double negatives!  "impossible not to say false things"  Or "isn't impossible to not lie"...

How about stating them in the positive mode to make them clear?  Or I will.  I would rather you said it "un-double-negative yourself. 

Do you think you are talking to fools?

Double negatives are completely legitimate in other languages.  Don't blame me if English is a shit creole language ... blame the Anglo-Saxons, the Normans, and the Black Death!  And no, I am not talking to fools (though some of our drive by-s are).  If you would like a formal discussion of linguistics and metaphysics, please apply in the philosophy section ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sorginak

Quote from: Baruch on September 23, 2017, 03:47:29 PM
Double negatives are completely legitimate in other languages.  Don't blame me if English is a shit creole language ... blame the Anglo-Saxons, the Normans, and the Black Death!  And no, I am not talking to fools (though some of our drive by-s are).  If you would like a formal discussion of linguistics and metaphysics, please apply in the philosophy section ;-)

I attempt to write fiction that means something and all any online critics can do is be grammar police.  It's rather unnerving.  I don't let their policing distract me or stop me, however.  Heck, Tolkien was atrocious with grammar, yet look at how popular his LOTR is. 

Baruch

Quote from: Sorginak on September 23, 2017, 03:50:41 PM
I attempt to write fiction that means something and all any online critics can do is be grammar police.  It's rather unnerving.  I don't let their policing distract me or stop me, however.  Heck, Tolkien was atrocious with grammar, yet look at how popular his LOTR is.

Writers, particularly creative writers ... are creators (QED).  Poetic license is necessary.  The best writers not only create new meanings for old words, they create new words .. because they have delineated a corner of consciousness never delineated before (see Literary Criticism by Harold Bloom).

Semantics is where it is at ... those who have nothing much to say criticize the lexical, the syntactic or the pragmatic aspects of a text.  Maybe even the food stain on the page.  Don't even ask me about Derrida ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Sorginak on September 23, 2017, 03:50:41 PM
Heck, Tolkien was atrocious with grammar, yet look at how popular his LOTR is.
Never mind his grammar, he was just fucking BORING.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Sorginak

Quote from: trdsf on September 23, 2017, 05:50:54 PM

No surprise there.  I'm certain there is something you find interesting that I would find absolutely boring.

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on September 23, 2017, 05:50:54 PM

Parts were boring; parts were exciting; parts were profound. 

But keep in mind he wrote a lot of it as a story to a child.  As he admitted himself, he didn't realize where the story was going.  The progression of his poetry suggests it.  I think it was the son who said that his father was surprised by the import of Sorcerer of Mirkwood and things changed after that.