News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The 'REAL' 10 Commandments

Started by Mike Cl, August 24, 2017, 10:39:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pr126

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 24, 2017, 01:08:36 PM
I've noticed it, but it is not puzzling in the least.  The quran is not a christian book and we live, for the most part, in a christian area.  In other words, geography determines which book of fiction would be discussed the most.
But times are changing. Fast.
Christianity is in decline, Islam is gaining power.

Find out why it is difficult to criticize Islam in the public square.

Mike Cl

Quote from: pr126 on August 24, 2017, 01:33:43 PM
But times are changing. Fast.
Christianity is in decline, Islam is gaining power.

Find out why it is difficult to criticize Islam in the public square.
I know your point.  But for me it is just as easy to criticize Islam now as it has ever been.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

pr126

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 24, 2017, 02:13:09 PM
I know your point.  But for me it is just as easy to criticize Islam now as it has ever been.

In the public square? Or anonymously on the Internet?
Here in Europe it is forbidden to criticize even on the Internet.
It is a thought crime.

Unbeliever

Here's a good site for learning how to criticize the Quran:

Skeptic's Annotated Quran
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mike Cl

Quote from: pr126 on August 24, 2017, 02:17:07 PM
It is a thought crime.
Then you better not do it.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 24, 2017, 12:36:45 PM
It was created, in political circumstances in Israel/Judah, for a particular people, from about 850-450 BCE.  Why do people who are outside that area, and outside that time, care?

Because the rules and the consequences of that inanity ripple down through time to today and bring division into the modern world as adherents continue to follow old nonsense.

And I don't limit that to Judaism...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: pr126 on August 24, 2017, 02:17:07 PM
It is a thought crime.

Europeans are slaves of monarchy, papacy and plutocracy.  Get back to the cotton field!  What is wrong with America?  We have been trying to be more European for over 100 years now.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 26, 2017, 05:10:10 AM
Because the rules and the consequences of that inanity ripple down through time to today and bring division into the modern world as adherents continue to follow old nonsense.

And I don't limit that to Judaism...

Revolutionaries want to abolish the status quo.  Are you are revolutionary?  Yes, there are stupid things from the past that continue, some harmless, some harmful.  If the government just had a mind-wipe that could reboot people who are brought in for reprogramming ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 26, 2017, 08:13:26 AM
Revolutionaries want to abolish the status quo.  Are you are revolutionary?  Yes, there are stupid things from the past that continue, some harmless, some harmful.  If the government just had a mind-wipe that could reboot people who are brought in for reprogramming ...

I am too risk averse to be a revolutionary.  My rule is more "Change one thing today, another tomorrow, things get better" ...   Or "Do one useful thing every day".

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 26, 2017, 06:09:03 PM
I am too risk averse to be a revolutionary.  My rule is more "Change one thing today, another tomorrow, things get better" ...   Or "Do one useful thing every day".

Prudent ... and controlled experimental.  People who are certain without evidence. are fanatics.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 26, 2017, 06:19:07 PM
Prudent ... and controlled experimental.  People who are certain without evidence. are fanatics.
You have to know what you are doing.  Oddly enough, that worked for me on pinball machines.  There was an arcade across the street for my office and they gave free tokens for the high scores each week.  I studied them carefully.  When I changed jobs uptown, I had a drawerful of tokens, LOL!

trdsf

As rules to live by, the Decalogue (in whichever form) is a pretty disappointing set anyway.  I mean, the first three rules are about not pissing off an imaginary friend.  As someone who works in children services, 'honor thy father and mother' can NOT be a hard and fast rule because some parents only qualify as gene donors and nothing more.  No rules about not keeping people as property -- either slaves, or women.  It's a pretty shitty "moral" guide.

I can do far better in fewer rules:

1) Don't be a dick.
2) No, really.  Don't be a dick.
3) You are a human being.  So is everyone else.  Keep that in mind when you think you're about to be a dick to someone.  You don't want them to be a dick to you, do you?
4) You don't always have to be first.  See Rule #1.
5) You also don't always have to be last.  Everyone else, see Rule #1.
6) So long as all parties consent, it's none of your fucking business what two (or more) adults in full possession of their faculties are doing with each other, so long as they're not conspiring to be dicks to other human beings (yourself included).

I think that about covers everything.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on August 26, 2017, 08:10:40 AM
We have been trying to be more European for over 100 years now.
It's more like the Europeans out-Americaned us, and we're just trying to catch up with where we should have been long ago.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 18, 2017, 05:27:21 PM
It's more like the Europeans out-Americaned us, and we're just trying to catch up with where we should have been long ago.

That would be the European view.  And some posters are Europeans, and others are Fellow Travelers (if you know what I mean).

The future of Europe ... German speaking multiracial Muslims.  And yes, Britain, it is to late to escape your fate.  This all started in 1914, with the German Empire getting too close to the Ottoman Empire ... trying to build a railway to Basra from Istanbul.  GB already knew where the oil would be found.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 18, 2017, 06:35:39 PM
That would be the European view.  And some posters are Europeans, and others are Fellow Travelers (if you know what I mean).

The future of Europe ... German speaking multiracial Muslims.  And yes, Britain, it is to late to escape your fate.  This all started in 1914, with the German Empire getting too close to the Ottoman Empire ... trying to build a railway to Basra from Istanbul.  GB already knew where the oil would be found.

You seem to fear "others".  Care to explain why?