News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The 'REAL' 10 Commandments

Started by Mike Cl, August 24, 2017, 10:39:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

When Drew brought up the Ten Commandments, I re-read Exodus 34 (one of 3 places the so called Ten Commandments are listed) and was again astounded at how, ummm...........looking for a word here..........banal, stupid (no, not that), fairy talish it is.  It seems the Brothers Grimm were describing a character in a story they'd write, when the bible mentions the Lord and what he says and does.  Here is a portion of Exodus 34:

"Exodus 34New International Version (NIV)

The New Stone Tablets
34 The Lord said to Moses, “Chisel out two stone tablets like the first ones, and I will write on them the words that were on the first tablets, which you broke. 2 Be ready in the morning, and then come up on Mount Sinai. Present yourself to me there on top of the mountain. 3 No one is to come with you or be seen anywhere on the mountain; not even the flocks and herds may graze in front of the mountain.”

4 So Moses chiseled out two stone tablets like the first ones and went up Mount Sinai early in the morning, as the Lord had commanded him; and he carried the two stone tablets in his hands. 5 Then the Lord came down in the cloud and stood there with him and proclaimed his name, the Lord. 6 And he passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, “The Lord, the Lord, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, 7 maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children and their children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation.”

8 Moses bowed to the ground at once and worshiped. 9 “Lord,” he said, “if I have found favor in your eyes, then let the Lord go with us. Although this is a stiff-necked people, forgive our wickedness and our sin, and take us as your inheritance.”

10 Then the Lord said: “I am making a covenant with you. Before all your people I will do wonders never before done in any nation in all the world. The people you live among will see how awesome is the work that I, the Lord, will do for you. 11 Obey what I command you today. I will drive out before you the Amorites, Canaanites, Hittites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites. 12 Be careful not to make a treaty with those who live in the land where you are going, or they will be a snare among you. 13 Break down their altars, smash their sacred stones and cut down their Asherah poles.[a] 14 Do not worship any other god, for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

15 “Be careful not to make a treaty with those who live in the land; for when they prostitute themselves to their gods and sacrifice to them, they will invite you and you will eat their sacrifices. 16 And when you choose some of their daughters as wives for your sons and those daughters prostitute themselves to their gods, they will lead your sons to do the same.

17 “Do not make any idols.

18 “Celebrate the Festival of Unleavened Bread. For seven days eat bread made without yeast, as I commanded you. Do this at the appointed time in the month of Aviv, for in that month you came out of Egypt.

19 “The first offspring of every womb belongs to me, including all the firstborn males of your livestock, whether from herd or flock. 20 Redeem the firstborn donkey with a lamb, but if you do not redeem it, break its neck. Redeem all your firstborn sons.

“No one is to appear before me empty-handed.

21 “Six days you shall labor, but on the seventh day you shall rest; even during the plowing season and harvest you must rest.

22 “Celebrate the Festival of Weeks with the firstfruits of the wheat harvest, and the Festival of Ingathering at the turn of the year. 23 Three times a year all your men are to appear before the Sovereign Lord, the God of Israel. 24 I will drive out nations before you and enlarge your territory, and no one will covet your land when you go up three times each year to appear before the Lord your God.

25 “Do not offer the blood of a sacrifice to me along with anything containing yeast, and do not let any of the sacrifice from the Passover Festival remain until morning.

26 “Bring the best of the firstfruits of your soil to the house of the Lord your God.

“Do not cook a young goat in its mother’s milk.”

27 Then the Lord said to Moses, “Write down these words, for in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel.” 28 Moses was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights without eating bread or drinking water. And he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenantâ€"the Ten Commandments."

Look at verse 10:
10 Then the Lord said: “I am making a covenant with you. Before all your people I will do wonders never before done in any nation in all the world. The people you live among will see how awesome is the work that I, the Lord, will do for you. 11 Obey what I command you today. I will drive out before you the Amorites, Canaanites, Hittites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites. 12 Be careful not to make a treaty with those who live in the land where you are going, or they will be a snare among you. 13 Break down their altars, smash their sacred stones and cut down their Asherah poles.[a] 14 Do not worship any other god, for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

God seems to have forgotten that he is the Creator.  He acts and talks like he is one of many.  And he boasts that he can do more than the others.  So, he commands that all traces of other gods be removed (why not do that himself??  Surly the Great And Powerful Oz can do that!).  He then says he wants to be called Jealous.  Okay.  What a very petty piece of work this 'god' is. 

This, I think, is the only place in the OT where the 10 Commandments are referred to as such.  In the other two places they are supposed to be found, they are not numbered and people have isolated the 10 they think are the best of the 600+ commandments god has issued. 

I see stuff like this as proof positive that the bible is really just babble; how can any sane person see it otherwise??????
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Sorginak

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 24, 2017, 10:39:45 AM

I see stuff like this as proof positive that the bible is really just babble; how can any sane person see it otherwise??????

Indeed, especially when one interprets it from a literary perspective it becomes all too obvious the writers were mere men intending to put forth their idea of a god and a religion in order to claim it was the only true religion with the only worthy god to be recognized through worship and unquestioning obedience. 

Blackleaf

Funny how many of those commandments are about God's appetite. So he doesn't like to get blood on his bread. Okay? I guess that was more important than say...do not rape? Do not perform human sacrifice? Oh wait. One of those commandments actually asks for the sacrifice of firstborn sons. Oh shit. Well, at least he remembered to tell them not to make their bread with yeast.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mike Cl

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 24, 2017, 11:42:19 AM
Funny how many of those commandments are about God's appetite. So he doesn't like to get blood on his bread. Okay? I guess that was more important than say...do not rape? Do not perform human sacrifice? Oh wait. One of those commandments actually asks for the sacrifice of firstborn sons. Oh shit. Well, at least he remembered to tell them not to make their bread with yeast.
The Lord seems to major in minor, obscure detail.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Sorginak on August 24, 2017, 10:52:54 AM
Indeed, especially when one interprets it from a literary perspective it becomes all too obvious the writers were mere men intending to put forth their idea of a god and a religion in order to claim it was the only true religion with the only worthy god to be recognized through worship and unquestioning obedience.

It was created, in political circumstances in Israel/Judah, for a particular people, from about 850-450 BCE.  Why do people who are outside that area, and outside that time, care?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on August 24, 2017, 12:36:45 PM
It was created, in political circumstances in Israel/Judah, for a particular people, from about 850-450 BCE.  Why do people who are outside that area, and outside that time, care?

Because some people in the year AD 2017 still live by this composite work of books that are thousands of years old.
--Fulke Greville--

pr126

QuoteIt was created, in political circumstances in Israel/Judah, for a particular people, from about 850-450 BCE.  Why do people who are outside that area, and outside that time, care?
It's a hobby.

Have you noticed that the Quran is never discussed? 

Blackleaf

Quote from: pr126 on August 24, 2017, 12:44:58 PM
It's a hobby.

If I knew the Quran, I would discuss it. But I was not raised in the Islamic religion.
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 24, 2017, 12:44:56 PM
Because some people in the year AD 2017 still live by this composite work of books that are thousands of years old.

Not my problem, if such smart people insist on shoving pencils up their noses.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 24, 2017, 12:46:08 PM
If I knew the Quran, I would discuss it. But I was not raised in the Islamic religion.

So then, the ISIS guys do know who to chop down to size ;-(  Now Pr126, are ye happy?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on August 24, 2017, 12:52:04 PM
Not my problem, if such smart people insist on shoving pencils up their noses.

It is my problem when politicians in my country use their Christian status as a selling point, and especially when they use their beliefs as a basis for their policies. Christianity has had the government in a choke hold for too long.
--Fulke Greville--

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on August 24, 2017, 12:36:45 PM
Good question

Mike Cl

Quote from: pr126 on August 24, 2017, 12:44:58 PM
It's a hobby.

I've noticed it, but it is not puzzling in the least.  The quran is not a christian book and we live, for the most part, in a christian area.  In other words, geography determines which book of fiction would be discussed the most.

Blackleaf

On the subject of Islam, I actually enjoyed the The Masked Arab's videos. I found them pretty interesting and informative when it came to the ridiculous practices and beliefs of Muslims. But as someone who is not a former Muslim, I can only learn through sources like these.
--Fulke Greville--

Unbeliever

For a God said to not be the author of confusion It certainly wrote a very confusing book. Of course, God didn't write it, but millions of people believe It did, and claim to follow It's laws. Of course, they ignore all the inconvenient parts.

Quote from: Joseph LewisIt is our duty to expose the Bible. We must continue to tell the truth about the Bible. We must continue to enlighten the people. And if after the true facts are known, there are some who still insist the Bible is good enough for them, they are welcome to it.

Quote from: Robert G. IngersollIf a man would follow, today, the teachings of the Old Testament, he would be a criminal. If he would follow strictly the teachings of the New, he would be insane.

The Bible has been used to justify more horror than any other writing in the history of humanity. It's time we outlawed the damned thing - but that won't happen, so we're going to see even more hate and violence because of it. Hell, outlawing it wouldn't do much good anyway, just as outlawing drugs hasn't done much good. Christians would just keep employing it anyway, because they love being able to use it to justify their cruelty.

It can also be used to justify love and kindness, since it can be used to justify just about anything at all. But it seems to be used mostly for destructive ends.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman