Asian ESPN announcer removed from game, because of his name.

Started by Munch, August 23, 2017, 01:26:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/aug/22/espn-pulls-announcer-robert-lee-university-virgini/

QuoteApparently, even being Asian doesn’t mean people won’t take you for being a white nationalist.

ESPN confirmed Tuesday night that it had decided to pull an announcer from calling a University of Virginia football game because his name is Robert Lee. This Robert Lee is Asian.

“We collectively made the decision with Robert to switch games as the tragic events in Charlottesville were unfolding, simply because of the coincidence of his name. In that moment it felt right to all parties,” reads the ESPN statement posted at the popular Fox Sports college-football blog Outkick the Coverage.
“Did I mention that Robert Lee is Asian?” wrote disbelieving blogger Clay Travis, who first broke the story, citing “multiple Outkick fans inside ESPN.”
Mr. Lee had been scheduled to call the Cavaliers Sept. 2 game in Charlottesville against William and Mary.

“It’s a shame that this is even a topic of conversation and we regret that who calls play by play for a football game has become an issue,” ESPN said in its statement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC3N_fl8tpA

Even minorities aren't safe from the idiocy of Antifa.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Shiranu

Being pulled from one game, during a time of turmoil =/= being fired.

Still stupid af, but saying he was fired is completely inaccurate. I am prone to agree with ESPN's statement that it was a lose/lose situation though. Having someone commentate a Virginia game, with the name Robert Lee, during the middle of such racial tension, is a losing prospect as well. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Sorginak

SGOS

That's seems like an over-reaction.  But I'm hardly in the thick of this issue.

aitm

GOT DAMN furriers stealing honorable amurican names....What will they do next?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Unbeliever

They'll probably steal our women next. Or our cats - they can't tell one pussy from another.

:tease:
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

GrinningYMIR

I think it was a stupid idea to take it off and just encourages the thought police atomoshpere
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Baruch

Quote from: Sorginak on August 23, 2017, 02:21:45 PM
Robert Lee is a stupid name anyway.

Lee, usually spelt Li ... is a common name in E Asia.  Your round eyes cut it out, or NORK put nuke up your ass ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on August 23, 2017, 05:35:16 PM
I think it was a stupid idea to take it off and just encourages the thought police atomoshpere

Just call him Bob Li ... the SJWs won't know there is any similarity.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Drew_2017

Whats laughable is when ESPN was inquired about the change they stated they were sorry circumstances caused this to happen. The circumstances they were referring to were one's they caused. Its also a commentary on how stupid they must think their audience that they would think this Asian man is a decedent of Robert E. Lee.

I hate that politics has been injected into sports.

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Albert Einstein

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jex6k2uvf9aljrq/theism.rtf?dl=0

Baruch

Quote from: Drew_2017 on August 23, 2017, 07:07:24 PM
Whats laughable is when ESPN was inquired about the change they stated they were sorry circumstances caused this to happen. The circumstances they were referring to were one's they caused. Its also a commentary on how stupid they must think their audience that they would think this Asian man is a decedent of Robert E. Lee.

The gladiators, who worked for Livia, empress of Rome and married to Augustus Caesar, also hated politics in sports ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xldcuyl4xRY
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mermaid

This has gotten way WAY WAY more press than it should have.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mike Cl

Quote from: Drew_2017 on August 23, 2017, 07:07:24 PM

I hate this!!!  I must insist that Drew is correct in this--and I never, never agree with anything Drew writes.  ESPN was beyond stupid. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Shiranu

QuoteEven minorities aren't safe from the idiocy of Antifa.

Antifa has literally nothing to do with this. Do we literally need a new boogieman every month, that by September the right will have completely forgotten about and now think that like... Scandinavian Hookers or Ethiopian farmers will be the imminent threat to all the world as we know it?

QuoteThe circumstances they were referring to were one's they caused.

ESPN was the cause of the white supremacy marches in the South, and unfortunately other cities in the U.S. and even Vancouver (friend of mine sent me pictures of neo-Nazis marching in the street up there :\).

You learn something new every day.

Don't worry Mike, ESPN does not think this guy is related to Robert E. Lee and they didn't cause Nazis to march, so you don't have to agree with him on anything other than it's a really stupid move on ESPN's part. I think something that vague falls within the threshold of acceptability.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur