Atheism view of religious usage. Do they get angst when its mentioned?

Started by Agro, August 21, 2017, 11:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 03, 2017, 10:50:25 PM
Oops, yes.  I should have specified that some people accept anecdotal experiences AS personal experience of people they trust.  They tend (to me) to be one and the same practically, but you are quite correct in definition.

Unless you want to diss your own personal experience, even when sober.  In which case you have a problem, not me.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 03, 2017, 10:52:36 PM
Unless you want to diss your own personal experience, even when sober.  In which case you have a problem, not me.

You know, when someone doesn't even accept "you're right" they probably have a "Baruch complex"...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 03, 2017, 10:57:28 PM
You know, when someone doesn't even accept "you're right" they probably have a "Baruch complex"...

Talking to more than a one man audience ... you aren't hearing voices, there are more than one of us out here.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 03, 2017, 11:13:02 PM
Talking to more than a one man audience ... you aren't hearing voices, there are more than one of us out here.

Multiple "Baruchs?  That would explain much...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 03, 2017, 11:53:08 PM
Multiple "Baruchs?  That would explain much...

Now silly, when I post I am aware of at least all the people who have posted in the string to that point, and usually the "usual cast of characters" even if they haven't posted yet.  You aren't the only person in the audience, unless you are a solipsist.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 04, 2017, 12:10:46 AM
Now silly, when I post I am aware of at least all the people who have posted in the string to that point, and usually the "usual cast of characters" even if they haven't posted yet.  You aren't the only person in the audience, unless you are a solipsist.

I learned a long time ago that the person I address is not actually the group of readers.  You never address your posts to the person you are replying to.  It is the larger audience out there.

If YOU were my readership, I wouldn't bother.  To an atheist, You are hopeless...

aitm

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 03, 2017, 09:45:44 PM

Personal experience =/= scientific observation.

"I saw a bird fly"
"don't be stupid, things can't fly"
"but I saw a bird fly"
"...anecdotal evidence"...
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Cavebear

Quote from: aitm on September 04, 2017, 09:01:31 AM
"I saw a bird fly"
"don't be stupid, things can't fly"
"but I saw a bird fly"
"...anecdotal evidence"...

That is not anectodal evidence.  Direct observation. 

Did I say something unintentionally stupid earlier to deserve that? 

Gawdzilla Sama

When I talk to my religious cousins I'm guided by the people around them. The younger folks are listening to what I say, and they ask questions via email that shows they're getting the ideas I put across. I have a few other relatives who aren't religious and we're trying to keep the young ones out of the rabbit hole. Some success, too many failures, but we'll keep trying.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 04, 2017, 09:51:19 AM
When I talk to my religious cousins I'm guided by the people around them. The younger folks are listening to what I say, and they ask questions via email that shows they're getting the ideas I put across. I have a few other relatives who aren't religious and we're trying to keep the young ones out of the rabbit hole. Some success, too many failures, but we'll keep trying.

Ah, conversion through stealth...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 04, 2017, 09:58:55 AM
Ah, conversion through stealth...

From your POV, just normalization.  You Normie.  Long live Kekistan!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 04, 2017, 02:11:17 AM
I learned a long time ago that the person I address is not actually the group of readers.  You never address your posts to the person you are replying to.  It is the larger audience out there.

If YOU were my readership, I wouldn't bother.  To an atheist, You are hopeless...

Rather ... I am the exception that proves the rule ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 04, 2017, 10:25:08 AM
Rather ... I am the exception that proves the rule ;-)

No, not really.  You are just a very active theist troll spending time on an atheist forum for some sad reason of your own.  I would MUCH rather talk to actual atheists.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 04, 2017, 10:27:27 AM
No, not really.  You are just a very active theist troll spending time on an atheist forum for some sad reason of your own.  I would MUCH rather talk to actual atheists.

There are plenty here to talk to.  Chat away ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 04, 2017, 10:46:29 AM
There are plenty here to talk to.  Chat away ;-)

If you didn't clog up the threads, I probably could.