Atheism view of religious usage. Do they get angst when its mentioned?

Started by Agro, August 21, 2017, 11:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drew_2017

What if I taught my children...

Lying is bad, honesty is the best policy
Stealing is wrong you should never steal
Hurting others physically or mentally is always wrong even they hurt you you should turn the other cheek and walk away.
Disrespecting your parents is wrong
Laziness is a bad character trait hard work is its own reward.
Respect the law, the government and private property.
You should do you utmost to treat others as you would like them to treat you.

Do you think children raised under these admonishments is harmful?

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 29, 2017, 07:15:42 AM
All those concepts predate your religion, they're the basis of civil society. Religion just hijacked them, because religions do nothing original.

Fine, if by your own admission they're the basis for civil society how can you be opposed to children being taught it? Secondly why don't secular sources teach and re-enforce these foundational concepts for a civil society?
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Albert Einstein

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jex6k2uvf9aljrq/theism.rtf?dl=0

Mike Cl

Quote from: Drew_2017 on August 29, 2017, 11:44:33 PM

Secondly why don't secular sources teach and re-enforce these foundational concepts for a civil society?
They do.  In public school it's called civics and character counts, for two sources of citizenship. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Quote from: Drew_2017 on August 26, 2017, 05:11:12 PM
Just curious have you raised children?

Here's a list of a few people brought up in Christian homes...Do you have anything like evidence for instance to support your position?
At first, I thought that Blackleaf had a valid point but now, after learning that Jessica Simpson grew up in a Christian household (an American citizen growing up as a Christian...what are the odds??) I have to admit that Drew's superb logic totally blows Blackleaf's shallow and tenuous argument out of the water.  Blackleaf, this intellectual juggernaut has slayed thee.

Baruch

Hurting others physically or mentally is always wrong even they hurt you you should turn the other cheek and walk away.

Fine, if by your own admission they're the basis for civil society how can you be opposed to children being taught it? Secondly why don't secular sources teach and re-enforce these foundational concepts for a civil society?

Don't worry, there are standards of behavior for public school teachers, and board of education standards for curricula.  These are all controlled by politics, not religion ... outside of parochial schools.  And most parents teach their children, by letting them watch bad TV.  I never once, got a moral lecture from my parents, was lucky to get the "sex talk" one time from dad (and handed a popular Kinsey book about the details).  What I learned as a kid from TV was that adults were scary and stupid.  I was taught history (old version of PC) at school.  If I wanted philosophy or religion, I read it myself.  I don't think present practice was all that different for my daughter (she got the sex talk from her mother).  My growing up was minimally religious, but my daughter is a PK.  There isn't a whole lot of difference between us ... I think because of genetics, because our generation is radically different.

The reason why we don't have full on morality police lectures in school is ... it would be too controversial for the board of education or the PTA.  Not some mass Leftist conspiracy.  If you want your kid to be religiously schooled, you send your child to parochial school, and pay for it yourself.  We tried that for all of 3 months with my daughter.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

When did I say I was opposed to teaching them? What I am opposed to is the one you left out of your Top Ten No-Nos list, the one about your imaginary friend. Didn't think we'd notice that, did you?

The Ten C's. is not unique to your branch of theology, variations on it are found around the world, it's how we live together as a society. Most places don't have the religious baggage attached, of course, it's taught as "this is how we don't kill each other."
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Drew_2017

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 29, 2017, 11:54:09 PM
They do.  In public school it's called civics and character counts, for two sources of citizenship.

This character counts looks excellent from what I've heard. I don't know how pervasive it is. This gives me hope for the youth of today.

Here's the core ethics...

Trustworthiness
(think true blue)

Be honest • Don’t deceive, cheat, or steal • Be reliable â€" do what you say you’ll do • Have the courage to do the right thing • Build a good reputation • Be loyal â€" stand by your family, friends, and country

Respect
(think the Golden Rule)
Treat others with respect; follow the Golden Rule • Be tolerant and accepting of differences • Use good manners, not bad language • Be considerate of the feelings of others • Don’t threaten, hit or hurt anyone • Deal peacefully with anger, insults, and disagreements

Responsibility
(think green for a garden or finances or as in being solid like an Oak Tree)
Do what you are supposed to do • Plan ahead • Persevere: keep on trying! • Always do your best • Use self-control • Be self-disciplined • Think before you act â€" consider the consequences • Be accountable for your words, actions, and attitudes • Set a good example for others

Fairness
(think of dividing an orange into equal sections to share fairly with friends)
Play by the rules • Take turns and share • Be open-minded; listen to others • Don’t take advantage of others • Don’t blame others carelessly • Treat all people fairly

Caring
(think of a heart)
Be kind • Be compassionate and show you care • Express gratitude • Forgive others • Help people in need

Citizenship
(think regal purple as representing the state)
Do your share to make your school and community better • Cooperate • Get involved in community affairs • Stay informed; vote • Be a good neighbor • Obey laws and rules • Respect authority • Protect the environment • Volunteer
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Albert Einstein

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jex6k2uvf9aljrq/theism.rtf?dl=0

Mike Cl

I actually taught that for over 30 yrs in my juvenile hall school.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Drew_2017 on August 30, 2017, 11:49:03 PM
This character counts looks excellent from what I've heard. I don't know how pervasive it is. This gives me hope for the youth of today.

Here's the core ethics...

Trustworthiness
(think true blue)

Be honest • Don’t deceive, cheat, or steal • Be reliable â€" do what you say you’ll do • Have the courage to do the right thing • Build a good reputation • Be loyal â€" stand by your family, friends, and country

Respect
(think the Golden Rule)
Treat others with respect; follow the Golden Rule • Be tolerant and accepting of differences • Use good manners, not bad language • Be considerate of the feelings of others • Don’t threaten, hit or hurt anyone • Deal peacefully with anger, insults, and disagreements

Responsibility
(think green for a garden or finances or as in being solid like an Oak Tree)
Do what you are supposed to do • Plan ahead • Persevere: keep on trying! • Always do your best • Use self-control • Be self-disciplined • Think before you act â€" consider the consequences • Be accountable for your words, actions, and attitudes • Set a good example for others

Fairness
(think of dividing an orange into equal sections to share fairly with friends)
Play by the rules • Take turns and share • Be open-minded; listen to others • Don’t take advantage of others • Don’t blame others carelessly • Treat all people fairly

Caring
(think of a heart)
Be kind • Be compassionate and show you care • Express gratitude • Forgive others • Help people in need

Citizenship
(think regal purple as representing the state)
Do your share to make your school and community better • Cooperate • Get involved in community affairs • Stay informed; vote • Be a good neighbor • Obey laws and rules • Respect authority • Protect the environment • Volunteer

And none of that is specifically religious...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 31, 2017, 12:15:34 AM
I actually taught that for over 30 yrs in my juvenile hall school.

But if you can quack like a duck, can you also waddle like a duck?

Good behavior simply requires a well fed conscience that you pay attention to.  How you fill it, is up to you.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 31, 2017, 10:55:30 AM

Good behavior simply requires a well fed conscience that you pay attention to.  How you fill it, is up to you.

Sometimes the duck is the ugly duckling that becomes the goose.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on August 31, 2017, 10:55:30 AM

That reminds me of what my good buddy and teaching partner (juvenile hall school--two classrooms and two teachers) told me once.  He said:
If it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it is a duck!  Meaning, 'Yes my soon to be ex was not only tutoring that guy (she lived in another town by then) but sleeping with him as well.  From then on my now wife and I know who we mean when we talk about The Duck.

aitm

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 29, 2017, 01:23:49 AM
And research has shown that corporal punishment is counterproductive to discouraging problem behaviors. There's no justification for inflicting pain on a child to teach them a lesson.

Lucky for me and the rest of my siblings as well as millions of others, our parents didn't buy into that line of thought.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on August 31, 2017, 07:43:55 PM
Lucky for me and the rest of my siblings as well as millions of others, our parents didn't buy into that line of thought.

But if you had grown up as a totally undomesticated wild-ling you would have been perfect cannon fodder for anti-Fa!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: aitm on August 31, 2017, 07:43:55 PM

You're just going to throw out decades of research because you turned out okay? Are you aware of the weaknesses of anecdotal evidence?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Blackleaf

Quote from: Drew_2017 on August 26, 2017, 05:11:12 PMJust curious have you raised children?

In writing my original reply on my cell phone, I forgot to address this question. No, I'm not a parent. But simply being a parent does not make one a good source of parenting advice either. If one does not learn from their experience, experience does not become wisdom. Try driving in Houston sometime, and you'll see my point. People with decades of driving experience changing lanes at the very last second to make a turn, driving well over 20 miles per hour over the speed limit, driving mere inches from the car in front of them, showing absolutely no concern for the safety of themselves or anyone else. They're just as dangerous on the road, if not moreso, than new drivers.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--