Atheism view of religious usage. Do they get angst when its mentioned?

Started by Agro, August 21, 2017, 11:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 24, 2017, 05:37:08 PM
Some of them have advanced degrees in pattycake.
That would be a good degree for a wife (or girl friend) to have--don't you think????
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 24, 2017, 06:37:11 PM
That would be a good degree for a wife (or girl friend) to have--don't you think????
It's the best they can do considering they would never be admitted to a University that didn't have "Baptist" in the name.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 24, 2017, 06:53:43 PM
It's the best they can do considering they would never be admitted to a University that didn't have "Baptist" in the name.
Not speaking of that 'degree'--look up pattycake in the urban dictionary.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

fencerider

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 23, 2017, 08:58:41 AM
Cadbury was making a commercial for their crappy chocolate eggs."  Those 'crappy' eggs are the only legit reason for easter!  I must confess--love those things.

At least you don't have to worry about me taking them... all the more for you
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Drew_2017

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on August 23, 2017, 11:59:20 PM
That's because extremists tend not look to the real wold for confirmation of their extreme ideas. Materialism is different: we've looked extremely hard for the nonmaterial, and when nothing turns up after centuries of earnest looking, "Well, maybe it doesn't exist after all," becomes the only reasonable position.

And they've looked just as hard for a materialist explanation of all we observe in the universe and have failed to find it...well maybe a materialistic explanation doesn't exist? 

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Albert Einstein

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jex6k2uvf9aljrq/theism.rtf?dl=0

Drew_2017

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 24, 2017, 11:35:42 AM
If you want to raise children, you should use actual facts and evidence when deciding how to raise them, not a barbaric book of myths. We've known for decades that spanking is counterproductive, that it increases bad behavior and has ZERO benefits. Yet Christians insist on using it because the Bible says, "Spare the rod, spoil the child." Religious parents are also likely to leave their homosexual children homeless. The Bible is a horrible source for parenting advice.

What guide would you use or do you suggest? What moral values should parents teach there children?
Albert Einstein

Mike Cl

Baruch

Quote from: Drew_2017 on August 24, 2017, 11:49:12 PM
What guide would you use or do you suggest? What moral values should parents teach there children?

Know and act out good values.  Then when your children copy you, they will be copying the good stuff.  Arguing with them, Nicomanchean Ethics ... won't work very well.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Drew_2017 on August 24, 2017, 11:49:12 PM

If I were to use any book as a source for parenting advice, I'd pick one by an author with a significant education in psychology, preferably a doctorate. I wouldn't trust anyone else to know what they're talking about. Others would just be relying on anecdotal data, tradition, and/or the Bible.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Drew_2017

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 25, 2017, 10:39:36 AM
If I were to use any book as a source for parenting advice, I'd pick one by an author with a significant education in psychology, preferably a doctorate. I wouldn't trust anyone else to know what they're talking about. Others would just be relying on anecdotal data, tradition, and/or the Bible.

What if I taught my children...

Lying is bad, honesty is the best policy
Stealing is wrong you should never steal
Hurting others physically or mentally is always wrong even they hurt you you should turn the other cheek and walk away.
Disrespecting your parents is wrong
Laziness is a bad character trait hard work is its own reward.
Respect the law, the government and private property.
You should do you utmost to treat others as you would like them to treat you.

Do you think children raised under these admonishments is harmful?

Albert Einstein

Mike Cl

Quote from: Drew_2017 on August 25, 2017, 10:47:02 PM

Hurting others physically or mentally is always wrong even they hurt you you should turn the other cheek and walk away.

If they are admonishments, they would be okay.  But if you demonstrate them, that would be effective.

Mike Cl

My other post about this. :)
--Lying is not universally bad.  We can all think of situations where to tell the truth as you see it would simply hurt feelings.  That could simply be seen as thoughtless and cruel.
   Yes, honesty is the best policy--generally.  This is where modeling for children is important.   They will see what you do and that will be truly instructive for them.
--stealing.  Generally not good.  But if your family is starving and stealing food is the only way to get, then one would steal.  Far fetched?  Maybe--but look around the world.
--Hurting others.  It is best not to inflict pain needlessly.  But if my family, pets or friends are in harms way and the only way to keep them safe is to inflict pain, then I will do all in my power to inflict that pain.
----Disrespecting parents is generally not good.  But what if  they beat you daily or worse.  Do abusive parents deserve respect?  Don't think so.
---Laziness---being lazy all the time is not good.  But working all the time is not good either.  Children need to learn to respect work--and to respect rest, and how to balance the two.
----Respect authority figures of all kinds.  Unless those figures (whether individuals or govt.) misuse their authority.  Are there not times when you want your children to be able to tell an authority figure that what they are doing or want to do is not appropriate? 
---And yes, the golden rule is a great concept to teach children.

All of these concepts will be modeled (for good or ill; perfectly or not so perfectly) by you and that is when your children will learn the most and take those lessons to heart more than just hearing a parent tell them what to do and how to do it.  I found it difficult to tell my child an ironclad rule or way to proceed in every instance.  So, I used the golden rule most of the time; how would you like to be treated in 'x' situation and why.  It is not easy, but it is worth the effort.

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 25, 2017, 10:39:36 AM

But Dr Spock would suggest parents raise their babies as little Vulcans ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

What Mike said. Morality is subjective, and children should be taught that they should approach each situation individually when able. Young children aren't capable of understanding the complexities of subjective morality at first, but they will grow to understand it in time. Provided, of course, that they are raised in a healthy learning environment, not a Conservative Christian environment which may stunt their growth.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

They are good general rules.  But exceptions exist and those also need to be explained.
Lying is sometimes good.  "Does this dress make my butt look fat"?
Stealing bread to feed a child is OK; stealing a steak is iffy.
Hurting a person who attacks you is OK.
If your parents are crazed idiots, disrespecting them is OK.
If you are a slave, laziness is a legitimate act of civil disobedience.
Respecting the Law is generally good, but some laws need to be changed and civil disobedience is one way.

There are exceptions to any rule...  Intelligence is how we make those choices.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!