Atheism view of religious usage. Do they get angst when its mentioned?

Started by Agro, August 21, 2017, 11:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Agro on August 21, 2017, 11:25:19 AM
Two things that calms me down is My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and Bob Ross videos.

Here is one of things Bob Ross does, beat the devil out of that brush. I watch Bob Ross because watching someone talk while painting is nice.

I dunno, just wondering?

It's a euphemism for "beating the shit out of them".
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: fencerider on August 23, 2017, 12:23:47 AM
But why should you accept from others what you think is wrong? Case in point I didn't hear about Santa Claus until 7th grade. Never heard anything about the Easter Bunny until Cadbury was making a commercial for their crappy chocolate eggs. When I heard about Santa for the first time I asked my mom about it. My first reaction to her explanation was why would anyone say something so stupid to their kids. My sister was listening and we looked at each other with a big wtf look on our face.

I aint about to say its ok for anyone to lie to their kids about Santa. I can understand someone like Cavebear that grew up with out any religion saying its wrong for anyone to teach that stuff to their kids.
You are a guy of logic--I usually  like what I read.  But I have to draw the line here!  "...Cadbury was making a commercial for their crappy chocolate eggs."  Those 'crappy' eggs are the only legit reason for easter!  I must confess--love those things.  My wife used to insist on an Easter pinata--pity the kids that got in my way when that thing opened up and those eggs fell to the ground.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

I call bullshit on not hearing of Santa if OP is in the US. Commercialization of holidays requires obnoxious intrusions of Santa figures everywhere.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

I think encouraging kids to believe in the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy is just a way for Christian parents prime them for later belief in Jesus. Apparently, it usually works quite well.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 23, 2017, 01:53:48 PM
I think encouraging kids to believe in the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy is just a way for Christian parents prime them for later belief in Jesus. Apparently, it usually works quite well.
The ones who grow up and realize Santa is a lie will question everything else their parents have told them.

If they're smart enough, that is.
PZ Myers

Drew_2017

Quote from: fencerider on August 23, 2017, 12:23:47 AM
I aint about to say its ok for anyone to lie to their kids about Santa. I can understand someone like Cavebear that grew up with out any religion saying its wrong for anyone to teach that stuff to their kids.

He can disagree and apply it to his own situation. As I said barring anything illegal or abusive parents should be free to bring up children as they see fit without government interference. Secondly for all atheists know the belief we owe our existence to mindless forces and happenstance is a myth. Complete faith in it being true doesn't make it a fact.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Albert Einstein

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jex6k2uvf9aljrq/theism.rtf?dl=0

Baruch

Quote from: Drew_2017 on August 23, 2017, 06:59:14 PM
He can disagree and apply it to his own situation. As I said barring anything illegal or abusive parents should be free to bring up children as they see fit without government interference. Secondly for all atheists know the belief we owe our existence to mindless forces and happenstance is a myth. Complete faith in it being true doesn't make it a fact.

But but ... atheists are the Brights, the real chosen people ;-)  You have people who think that everything is material.  On the other end you have people who think that everything is spiritual.  Usually extremists are wrong.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Drew_2017 on August 23, 2017, 06:59:14 PM
My hillbilly cousins would applaud.
PZ Myers

aitm

Quote from: Agro on August 21, 2017, 11:35:22 AM
Its ideological childhood, environment and culture that shapes people from what i get.

I suppose it is possible to get a straight kid to go full blown gay....but I really doubt it.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: Baruch on August 23, 2017, 07:03:35 PM
But but ... atheists are the Brights, the real chosen people ;-)  You have people who think that everything is material.  On the other end you have people who think that everything is spiritual.  Usually extremists are wrong.
That's because extremists tend not look to the real wold for confirmation of their extreme ideas. Materialism is different: we've looked extremely hard for the nonmaterial, and when nothing turns up after centuries of earnest looking, "Well, maybe it doesn't exist after all," becomes the only reasonable position.

And when you see theist after theist present dumb argument after dumb argument, and often the exact same dumb argument, it becomes difficult not to think of yourself as brighter than them.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Baruch

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on August 23, 2017, 11:59:20 PM
That's because extremists tend not look to the real wold for confirmation of their extreme ideas. Materialism is different: we've looked extremely hard for the nonmaterial, and when nothing turns up after centuries of earnest looking, "Well, maybe it doesn't exist after all," becomes the only reasonable position.

And when you see theist after theist present dumb argument after dumb argument, and often the exact same dumb argument, it becomes difficult not to think of yourself as brighter than them.

Yes, and you come to your conclusions about materialism ... thru Baysian (not frequency) statisics ... bwahaha.  I got a Hillary Wins in 2016 sticker for you ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Drew_2017 on August 22, 2017, 09:10:58 PM
Barring illegal abuse or mistreatment aren't you in favor of parents raising their children as they see fit? Its odd how you reject religion yet sound like the Taliban in how you want only your beliefs and views to be acceptable.

If you want to raise children, you should use actual facts and evidence when deciding how to raise them, not a barbaric book of myths. We've known for decades that spanking is counterproductive, that it increases bad behavior and has ZERO benefits. Yet Christians insist on using it because the Bible says, "Spare the rod, spoil the child." Religious parents are also likely to leave their homosexual children homeless. The Bible is a horrible source for parenting advice.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Unbeliever

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 23, 2017, 07:45:51 PM
My hillbilly cousins would applaud.
If they could figure out how...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: aitm on August 23, 2017, 09:05:01 PM
I suppose it is possible to get a straight kid to go full blown gay....but I really doubt it.
hehe "blown" hehe
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers