Atheism view of religious usage. Do they get angst when its mentioned?

Started by Agro, August 21, 2017, 11:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agro

Two things that calms me down is My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and Bob Ross videos.

Here is one of things Bob Ross does, beat the devil out of that brush. I watch Bob Ross because watching someone talk while painting is nice.

I dunno, just wondering?

Blackleaf

Yeah, you're definitely a troll. But to address your question, I am not offended by the mere mention or use of religion. I've even made up a few religions for a video game I'm making. Myths can be fun when approached as they should be: as works of fiction. They have no place in politics or child rearing.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Agro

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 21, 2017, 11:33:27 AM
Yeah, you're definitely a troll. But to address your question, I am not offended by the mere mention or use of religion. I've even made up a few religions for a video game I'm making. Myths can be fun when approached as they should be: as works of fiction. They have no place in politics or child rearing.
But thats what memes are. Example parents brainwashes religion right? But new generation of parents brainwashes LGBT to kids. Its ideological childhood, environment and culture that shapes people from what i get.

Sorginak

Agro

Quote from: Sorginak on August 21, 2017, 11:38:35 AM
Ummm, no.
I've seen it online with a kid entering LGBT Pride with parents waving LGBT flags though. But in reality i dont think its my place to tell people other than religion being some organization in general, but i dont wanna go off topic and i dont wanna try to throw people under the fence either.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Agro on August 21, 2017, 11:35:22 AM
But thats what memes are. Example parents brainwashes religion right? But new generation of parents brainwashes LGBT to kids. Its ideological childhood, environment and culture that shapes people from what i get.
Well, you get wrong.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

I don't think you quite get the concept of "brainwashing."
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hydra009

Quote from: Agro on August 21, 2017, 11:44:34 AMI've seen it online with a kid entering LGBT Pride with parents waving LGBT flags though.
Parents recruit their kids in all kinds of political stuff, from protesting for gay rights to protesting against gay rights.  Hell, the Westboro Baptists have used kids to hold their signs.

Sorginak

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 21, 2017, 05:13:13 PM
Parents recruit their kids in all kinds of political stuff, from protesting for gay rights to protesting against gay rights.  Hell, the Westboro Baptists have used kids to hold their signs.

Don't be fueling her ill logic.  If anything, the parents are supporting their gay children by attending the gay pride events.

Baruch

Unfortunately, politics has trumped tradition.  You can support or trash tradition based on political advantage.  We live in a more barbaric age, but with better technology.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Drew_2017

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 21, 2017, 11:33:27 AM

Barring illegal abuse or mistreatment aren't you in favor of parents raising their children as they see fit? Its odd how you reject religion yet sound like the Taliban in how you want only your beliefs and views to be acceptable.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Albert Einstein

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jex6k2uvf9aljrq/theism.rtf?dl=0

fencerider

Quote from: Drew_2017 on August 22, 2017, 09:10:58 PM
Barring illegal abuse or mistreatment aren't you in favor of parents raising their children as they see fit? Its odd how you reject religion yet sound like the Taliban in how you want only your beliefs and views to be acceptable.

But why should you accept from others what you think is wrong? Case in point I didn't hear about Santa Claus until 7th grade. Never heard anything about the Easter Bunny until Cadbury was making a commercial for their crappy chocolate eggs. When I heard about Santa for the first time I asked my mom about it. My first reaction to her explanation was why would anyone say something so stupid to their kids. My sister was listening and we looked at each other with a big wtf look on our face.

I aint about to say its ok for anyone to lie to their kids about Santa. I can understand someone like Cavebear that grew up with out any religion saying its wrong for anyone to teach that stuff to their kids.
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

Quote from: Drew_2017 on August 22, 2017, 09:10:58 PM

No, parents should give their children over to be raised in Marxist Youth camps ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on August 23, 2017, 12:23:47 AM
But why should you accept from others what you think is wrong? Case in point I didn't hear about Santa Claus until 7th grade. Never heard anything about the Easter Bunny until Cadbury was making a commercial for their crappy chocolate eggs. When I heard about Santa for the first time I asked my mom about it. My first reaction to her explanation was why would anyone say something so stupid to their kids. My sister was listening and we looked at each other with a big wtf look on our face.

I aint about to say its ok for anyone to lie to their kids about Santa. I can understand someone like Cavebear that grew up with out any religion saying its wrong for anyone to teach that stuff to their kids.

"But why should you accept from others what you think is wrong?" ... I think being a Democrat is wrong.  So I should lobby my Congressman to have them all arrested, right?  Rights come from the barrel of a government gun.  See if the gloves come off, there is no more discussion ... let alone polite discussion.  Just mobs, may the best mob win.  Yes, make it illegal for parents to lie ... like lie about the USA (or other native country) ... lie about their political party (doesn't matter which).  First to achieve French/Russian revolution, we must seize control of the children, because they are the future.  The people who are anti-marriage, anti-family, anti-parenting will have their way.  Sociopaths of the world unite!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: fencerider on August 23, 2017, 12:23:47 AM

You were raised on Mars?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers