Atheism view of religious usage. Do they get angst when its mentioned?

Started by Agro, August 21, 2017, 11:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drew_2017

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 25, 2017, 11:13:18 PM
My other post about this. :)
--Lying is not universally bad.  We can all think of situations where to tell the truth as you see it would simply hurt feelings.  That could simply be seen as thoughtless and cruel.
   Yes, honesty is the best policy--generally.  This is where modeling for children is important.   They will see what you do and that will be truly instructive for them.
--stealing.  Generally not good.  But if your family is starving and stealing food is the only way to get, then one would steal.  Far fetched?  Maybe--but look around the world.
--Hurting others.  It is best not to inflict pain needlessly.  But if my family, pets or friends are in harms way and the only way to keep them safe is to inflict pain, then I will do all in my power to inflict that pain.
----Disrespecting parents is generally not good.  But what if  they beat you daily or worse.  Do abusive parents deserve respect?  Don't think so.
---Laziness---being lazy all the time is not good.  But working all the time is not good either.  Children need to learn to respect work--and to respect rest, and how to balance the two.
----Respect authority figures of all kinds.  Unless those figures (whether individuals or govt.) misuse their authority.  Are there not times when you want your children to be able to tell an authority figure that what they are doing or want to do is not appropriate? 
---And yes, the golden rule is a great concept to teach children.

All of these concepts will be modeled (for good or ill; perfectly or not so perfectly) by you and that is when your children will learn the most and take those lessons to heart more than just hearing a parent tell them what to do and how to do it.  I found it difficult to tell my child an ironclad rule or way to proceed in every instance.  So, I used the golden rule most of the time; how would you like to be treated in 'x' situation and why.  It is not easy, but it is worth the effort.

Yes a parents actions and examples are the best teacher of how to live.
It would be cruel to intentionally hurt someone under the banner of telling the truth. Those are exceptional occasions. By and large telling the truth is the best policy if for no other reason as a matter of personal integrity. Lies usually get found out anyway. It can be extremely difficult at times to tell the truth usually because the truth will make the person telling the truth look bad. I tried to encourage truth telling by making the punishment less severe for telling the truth. One thing I avoided doing was asking my child a question I knew the answer to so I could catch them lying also. Its dishonest in it self to ask a question you already know unless you're a lawyer, they're exempt from all these rules. 

The thing with all moral values is they can be very tough to do. Its easy not to steal, cheat or swindle someone when all your needs are met, its much more difficult when you're starving. As the saying goes the real measure of a person's integrity isn't when everyone is looking, it's when no one is looking. There are circumstances where honoring a parent is very difficult but even under those circumstances it usually serves the child better since doing otherwise could escalate the situation. The problem with situation ethics is one can always rationalize there violation of basic ethics, many believers and Christians do it as well as anyone.

All the ethics I listed are taught and embraced by Judeo/Christian religions. I was raised a Catholic and these ethics were always drilled into my head. Did it mean I never transgressed? Hardly. I believe it gave me a higher platform to fall from then if I was raised by non-religious secular family that never emphasized such values. The USA (where I live) has become far more secular and less religious over the past 100 years. Has it become better any more civilized? More enlightened? Better mannered? More ethical? There are a lot of problems with organized religion but have we thrown the baby out with the bathwater?

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Albert Einstein

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jex6k2uvf9aljrq/theism.rtf?dl=0

Drew_2017

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 26, 2017, 01:48:16 AM
What Mike said. Morality is subjective, and children should be taught that they should approach each situation individually when able. Young children aren't capable of understanding the complexities of subjective morality at first, but they will grow to understand it in time. Provided, of course, that they are raised in a healthy learning environment, not a Conservative Christian environment which may stunt their growth.

Just curious have you raised children?

Here's a list of a few people brought up in Christian homes...Do you have anything like evidence for instance to support your position?

Katy Perry
Aretha Franklin
Jessica Simpson
Phil Jackson
Nat King Cole
Vincent Van Gogh
Jane Austen
Alice Cooper
Condoleezza Rice
Denzel Washington
Arsenio Hall
Marvin Gaye
Malcolm X
Martin Luther King Jr.

Albert Einstein

Cavebear

Quote from: Drew_2017 on August 26, 2017, 05:11:12 PM

Here's a list of a few people brought up in Christian homes...Do you have anything like evidence for instance to support your position?

Katy Perry
Aretha Franklin
Jessica Simpson
Phil Jackson
Nat King Cole
Vincent Van Gogh
Jane Austen
Alice Cooper
Condoleezza Rice
Denzel Washington
Arsenio Hall
Marvin Gaye
Malcolm X
Martin Luther King Jr.

Yes...
Douglas Adams, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Woody Allen, Fred Armisen, Lance Armstrong, Darren Aronofsky, Isaac Asimov, Julian Assange, Dan Barker, Dave Barry, Ingmar Bergman, Pierre Berton, Niels Bohr, Richard Branson, Derren Brown, Kari Byron, James Cameron, Asia Carrera, George Carlin, John Carmack, Adam Carolla, John Carpenter, Asia Carrera, Fidel Castro, Noam Chomsky, Jeremy Clarkson, Billy Connolly, Francis Crick, David Cronenberg, David Cross, Alan Cumming, Rodney Dangerfield, Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, Ani DiFranco, Micky Dolenz, Albert Einstein, Harlan Ellison, Paul ErdÅ's, Richard Feynman, Harvey Fierstein, Reginald Finley, Barney Frank, Morgan Freeman, Larry Flynt, Dave Foley, Arian Foster, Jodie Foster, Janeane Garofalo, Bill Gates, Bob Geldof, Ricky Gervais, Ira Glass, James Gleick, Robert Heinlein, Ernest Hemingway, Katharine Hepburn, Christopher Hitchens, Jamie Hyneman, Eddie Izzard, Penn Jillette, Billy Joel, Ana Kasparian, Diane Keaton, Skandar Keynes Michael Kinsley, Keira Knightley, Kramer, John Landis, Hugh Laurie, Artie Lange, Richard Leakey, Bruce Lee, Tom Lehrer, John Lennon, Tom Leykis, James Lipton, H.P. Lovecraft, Ernst Mach, Seth MacFarlane, Bill Maher, John Malkovich, Barry Manilow, Todd McFarlane, Sir Ian McKellen, Arthur Miller, Frank Miller, Claude Monet, Julianne Moore, Rafael Nadal, Randy Newman, Mike Nichols, Jack Nicholson, Gary Numan, Bob Odenkirk, Patton Oswalt, Camille Paglia, Trey Parker, PewDiePie, Steven Pinker, Brad Pitt, Joaquin Phoenix, Paula Poundstone, Terry Pratchett, Robin Quivers, Daniel Radcliffe, James Randi, Ron Reagan Jr., Rob Reiner, Keanu Reeves, Rick Reynolds, Gene Roddenberry, Henry Rollins, Andy Rooney, Salman Rushdie, Adam Savage, Brian Sapient, Erwin Schrödinger, Bob Simon, Steven Soderbergh, Annika Sorenstam, George Soros, Richard Stallman, Howard Stern, Matt Stone, Julia Sweeney, Teller, Studs Terkel, Pat Tillman, Tool, Alan Turing, Eddie Vedder, Jesse Ventura, Gore Vidal, Vincent van Gogh, Kurt Vonnegut Jr., Steven Weinberg, Joss Whedon, Ted Williams, Steve Wozniak, HUNDREDS MORE...

Good enough?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Drew_2017

Quote from: Cavebear on August 26, 2017, 05:19:11 PM
Yes...
Douglas Adams, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Woody Allen, Fred Armisen, Lance Armstrong, Darren Aronofsky, Isaac Asimov, Julian Assange, Dan Barker, Dave Barry, Ingmar Bergman, Pierre Berton, Niels Bohr, Richard Branson, Derren Brown, Kari Byron, James Cameron, Asia Carrera, George Carlin, John Carmack, Adam Carolla, John Carpenter, Asia Carrera, Fidel Castro, Noam Chomsky, Jeremy Clarkson, Billy Connolly, Francis Crick, David Cronenberg, David Cross, Alan Cumming, Rodney Dangerfield, Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, Ani DiFranco, Micky Dolenz, Albert Einstein, Harlan Ellison, Paul ErdÅ's, Richard Feynman, Harvey Fierstein, Reginald Finley, Barney Frank, Morgan Freeman, Larry Flynt, Dave Foley, Arian Foster, Jodie Foster, Janeane Garofalo, Bill Gates, Bob Geldof, Ricky Gervais, Ira Glass, James Gleick, Robert Heinlein, Ernest Hemingway, Katharine Hepburn, Christopher Hitchens, Jamie Hyneman, Eddie Izzard, Penn Jillette, Billy Joel, Ana Kasparian, Diane Keaton, Skandar Keynes Michael Kinsley, Keira Knightley, Kramer, John Landis, Hugh Laurie, Artie Lange, Richard Leakey, Bruce Lee, Tom Lehrer, John Lennon, Tom Leykis, James Lipton, H.P. Lovecraft, Ernst Mach, Seth MacFarlane, Bill Maher, John Malkovich, Barry Manilow, Todd McFarlane, Sir Ian McKellen, Arthur Miller, Frank Miller, Claude Monet, Julianne Moore, Rafael Nadal, Randy Newman, Mike Nichols, Jack Nicholson, Gary Numan, Bob Odenkirk, Patton Oswalt, Camille Paglia, Trey Parker, PewDiePie, Steven Pinker, Brad Pitt, Joaquin Phoenix, Paula Poundstone, Terry Pratchett, Robin Quivers, Daniel Radcliffe, James Randi, Ron Reagan Jr., Rob Reiner, Keanu Reeves, Rick Reynolds, Gene Roddenberry, Henry Rollins, Andy Rooney, Salman Rushdie, Adam Savage, Brian Sapient, Erwin Schrödinger, Bob Simon, Steven Soderbergh, Annika Sorenstam, George Soros, Richard Stallman, Howard Stern, Matt Stone, Julia Sweeney, Teller, Studs Terkel, Pat Tillman, Tool, Alan Turing, Eddie Vedder, Jesse Ventura, Gore Vidal, Vincent van Gogh, Kurt Vonnegut Jr., Steven Weinberg, Joss Whedon, Ted Williams, Steve Wozniak, HUNDREDS MORE...

Good enough?

Good enough for what? My post was in response to Blackleafs claim...

QuoteProvided, of course, that they are raised in a healthy learning environment, not a Conservative Christian environment which may stunt their growth.

Do you believe there is any study that demonstrates children raised in a religious home are negatively impacted as a result?

Albert Einstein

Baruch

Quote from: Drew_2017 on August 26, 2017, 08:00:59 PM
Good enough for what? My post was in response to Blackleafs claim...

Do you believe there is any study that demonstrates children raised in a religious home are negatively impacted as a result?

Parents who only accept faith healing and no modern medicine are bad parents.  But it is prejudice to call all religious parents ... to be of that religion.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Drew_2017 on August 26, 2017, 05:11:12 PM

Katy Perry
Aretha Franklin
Jessica Simpson
Phil Jackson
Nat King Cole
Vincent Van Gogh
Jane Austen
Alice Cooper
Condoleezza Rice
Denzel Washington
Arsenio Hall
Marvin Gaye
Malcolm X
Martin Luther King Jr.

I can't easily access my college's database right now, but there is a theory by Erikson that suggests people have different major developmental crises throughout their lives. The first stage is for babies, and is called "trust vs mistrust." In this stage, children learn whether or not their parents are trustworthy. If the parent fails to instill trust, the child's mistrust may be applied to people in general. The second stage is where religion may come into play, where fundamentalists are concerned. Early childhood is the "autonomy vs shame and doubt" stage, where children idealy will be encouraged to build confidence in their competencies to accomplish tasks. Parents with the attitude of maintaining control, who say "do what I say, and don't ask why" and don't allow children to make their own decisions may damage a child's self-worth and confidence. I know this was true in my case. There is a lot more I can get into with this theory, but I don't want to go too in depth right now.

Another relevant theory, though, is Kohlberg's theory of moral development. To summarize, children start with pre-conventional morality, in which morality is all about reward and punishment and self-interest. In level 2, the conventional level, adolescents and adults see morality via social norms and authorities. Religious morality typically fits this, where rules are rigid and cannot be challenged. Level 3, post-conventional level, is the level some adults never reach. This is the level where morality is understood to be subjective and situational, where authority figures and laws can be wrong.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Drew_2017

Quote from: Baruch on August 26, 2017, 08:17:24 PM
Parents who only accept faith healing and no modern medicine are bad parents.  But it is prejudice to call all religious parents ... to be of that religion.

I mentioned early on barring abuse or illegal behavior child raising is a parents prerogative. Parents who deprive children of medical care should be arrested and jailed accordingly. 
Albert Einstein

aitm

Frankly, I don't believe in non-punishment. The animal kingdom teaches its young by pain. You perhaps think we are better somehow due to our larger brains. A child that touches a hot stove won't do it again...unfortunately most wont get a second chance, but you can chide them all you want, yell, scream or rant and they may still touch the hot stove. Pain is a far better teacher, be it heat, electricity or love. I, like everyone, don't want my kid or grandkid to experience pain, but it is far better to understand the severe pain of a hot stove top than to pull a pan of boiling oil over on you. One is survivable, the other....not so much. Love and comfort is squishy and wonderful and all...but a hot jab in the gut goes a lot farther for future understanding of the reality of life.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Blackleaf

Quote from: aitm on August 28, 2017, 09:39:44 PM
Frankly, I don't believe in non-punishment. The animal kingdom teaches its young by pain. You perhaps think we are better somehow due to our larger brains. A child that touches a hot stove won't do it again...unfortunately most wont get a second chance, but you can chide them all you want, yell, scream or rant and they may still touch the hot stove. Pain is a far better teacher, be it heat, electricity or love. I, like everyone, don't want my kid or grandkid to experience pain, but it is far better to understand the severe pain of a hot stove top than to pull a pan of boiling oil over on you. One is survivable, the other....not so much. Love and comfort is squishy and wonderful and all...but a hot jab in the gut goes a lot farther for future understanding of the reality of life.

Non-punishment is not the only alternative to corporal punishment. And research has shown that corporal punishment is counterproductive to discouraging problem behaviors. There's no justification for inflicting pain on a child to teach them a lesson. Unless you're suggesting parents should stand by and let their kids touch hot stoves, in which case I'd be calling Child Protective Services.
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 29, 2017, 01:23:49 AM
Non-punishment is not the only alternative to corporal punishment. And research has shown that corporal punishment is counterproductive to discouraging problem behaviors. There's no justification for inflicting pain on a child to teach them a lesson. Unless you're suggesting parents should stand by and let their kids touch hot stoves, in which case I'd be calling Child Protective Services.

See, this is using children as part of the war against parents.  The proper way to deal with teens, is the 1960s method, updated.  Start a war in SE Asia, draft all the young men and young women, and send them there to play with the leeches and pungi pits ;-(

The problem with child discipline is that nothing works ... and most somehow survive bad parenting.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Drew_2017 on August 25, 2017, 10:47:02 PM
What if I taught my children...

Lying is bad, honesty is the best policy
Stealing is wrong you should never steal
Hurting others physically or mentally is always wrong even they hurt you you should turn the other cheek and walk away.
Disrespecting your parents is wrong
Laziness is a bad character trait hard work is its own reward.
Respect the law, the government and private property.
You should do you utmost to treat others as you would like them to treat you.

Do you think children raised under these admonishments is harmful?

All those concepts predate your religion, they're the basis of civil society. Religion just hijacked them, because religions do nothing original.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 29, 2017, 07:15:42 AM
All those concepts predate your religion, they're the basis of civil society. Religion just hijacked them, because religions do nothing original.

Pfft. Next you're going to tell me Christians didn't invent Ultimate Frisbee or dodge ball.
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 29, 2017, 10:15:57 AM
Pfft. Next you're going to tell me Christians didn't invent Ultimate Frisbee or dodge ball.
Okay. Christians didn't invent Ultimate Frisbee or dodge ball.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 29, 2017, 07:15:42 AM

Yes, atheist cave men founded all social institutions.  But Og Trump hijacked them ;-)  You have the cave paintings to back that shit up?

Philosophy (secular thought) only dates to early Classical Greece.

However, since then I count it even ... we know how to be secular or religious, and still be stupid apes.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 29, 2017, 10:15:57 AM
Well, according to Pavel Chekov "the Russians inwented those."
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman