News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

You know who's your favorite dog?

Started by Agro, August 21, 2017, 06:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on August 31, 2017, 01:10:15 PM
A mutt.  We've had purebreds and we've had mutts and the mutts are, in my experience, much better dogs.  The purebreds we had were high-strung, bordering on bitey.

As for me, the best dog I ever had for myself was actually a cat.  He would come when called, speak on command, sit up and beg, and even look chagrined when caught misbehaving.  We even nearly got fetch down, but he'd lose interest halfway back -- but that's more fetch than most cats will do.

I had that one too.  He was my heart-cat.  Orange too.  Died at 16 in 2008.  I still tear up (like now) remembering him...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on August 31, 2017, 02:33:16 PM
I had that one too.  He was my heart-cat.  Orange too.  Died at 16 in 2008.  I still tear up (like now) remembering him...
{hug}

Coincidentally, Random died at about 16½ in January 2009.  I don't know when he was born; he was estimated to be half a year when he adopted me.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on August 31, 2017, 02:46:30 PM
{hug}

Coincidentally, Random died at about 16½ in January 2009.  I don't know when he was born; he was estimated to be half a year when he adopted me.

The similarities are not surprising.  Skeeter was 16 1/2 at death and about 4 months when I found him terrified in a small pet store being noisily renovated.  He hid in the house for 3 days until I managed to give him a scritchie and he never left my side willingly after that.  Purred tears of happiness every night in bed with me for the safety and comfort.

I could write reams.  And did.

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on August 31, 2017, 02:58:48 PM
The similarities are not surprising.  Skeeter was 16 1/2 at death and about 4 months when I found him terrified in a small pet store being noisily renovated.  He hid in the house for 3 days until I managed to give him a scritchie and he never left my side willingly after that.  Purred tears of happiness every night in bed with me for the safety and comfort.

I could write reams.  And did.
Random, happily, was ebulliently sociable from day one when I got him in the con suite at an SF convention in October of 1992 -- everyone else was going home with books and tapes and CDs, I went home with a cat.  It was the purr that got me, the thunderous rumble that could set off car alarms.  By way of another odd coincidence, when we moved to Columbus three months later, we moved into the same neighborhood he'd been found in.  I don't think in all that time, I ever once heard him hiss, not at me nor at any of the other cats that shared his space, no matter the circumstance.

One of the reasons it took me so long to get another cat was training myself to not expect it to be like Random was.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on August 31, 2017, 03:30:16 PM
Random, happily, was ebulliently sociable from day one when I got him in the con suite at an SF convention in October of 1992 -- everyone else was going home with books and tapes and CDs, I went home with a cat.  It was the purr that got me, the thunderous rumble that could set off car alarms.  By way of another odd coincidence, when we moved to Columbus three months later, we moved into the same neighborhood he'd been found in.  I don't think in all that time, I ever once heard him hiss, not at me nor at any of the other cats that shared his space, no matter the circumstance.

One of the reasons it took me so long to get another cat was training myself to not expect it to be like Random was.

Yeah, orange cats are like that.  After 4 years, I found another that was right 2nd hand from a shelter.  He is still here keeping peace between the female Siamese and Tonkie.  Purrs to you...

Mike Cl

Quote from: Mermaid on August 31, 2017, 01:16:36 PM
Pit!

My stepdaughter, who lives in Bakersfield, CA, runs a sort of self appointed pit rescue there.  She has three rescued now.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

I'm going to have to stop reading this!  When I married my current wife I took on a cat (and two dogs), as well.  The dogs were, well dogs (and I loved them).  The cat was, as it turned out, the actual owner of the house and, as it turned out, was allowing me to be there.  That was reveled fairly quickly; and he was a lap cat, when he wanted to be and when he fully accepted you as a resident of his house.  I loved being owned by that cat!  Luis--but as only my wife can manage, mangled that name until he was called Dewey.  Dewey ruled my life and I loved it.  He sat on my computer monitor and monitored my computing, in my lap when he monitored my TV watching or reading.  He is buried in the back yard and when tending that part of the yard can come to tears even now.  I miss him.  And the more I read about your wonderful cats, the more I miss him.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 31, 2017, 04:59:37 PM
I'm going to have to stop reading this!  When I married my current wife I took on a cat (and two dogs), as well.  The dogs were, well dogs (and I loved them).  The cat was, as it turned out, the actual owner of the house and, as it turned out, was allowing me to be there.  That was reveled fairly quickly; and he was a lap cat, when he wanted to be and when he fully accepted you as a resident of his house.  I loved being owned by that cat!  Luis--but as only my wife can manage, mangled that name until he was called Dewey.  Dewey ruled my life and I loved it.  He sat on my computer monitor and monitored my computing, in my lap when he monitored my TV watching or reading.  He is buried in the back yard and when tending that part of the yard can come to tears even now.  I miss him.  And the more I read about your wonderful cats, the more I miss him.

They live in our hearts.  And no matter what we disagree about, there are the cats...

Gawdzilla Sama

Adopted litter mates, Bonnie and Clyde. Bonnie's a perfectly normal orange tabby. Clyde weighs in excess of 40 pounds now, not fat. He's 34 inches from nose to tip of tail. He scares little kids walking down the sidewalk. He's also a total bozo.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 31, 2017, 07:55:49 PM
Adopted litter mates, Bonnie and Clyde. Bonnie's a perfectly normal orange tabby. Clyde weighs in excess of 40 pounds now, not fat. He's 34 inches from nose to tip of tail. He scares little kids walking down the sidewalk. He's also a total bozo.

When I was a little kid, my mom had an orange tabby ... so tough that when dogs say him walking the street, they would cross to the other side to avoid him.  Cats can own the streets too.  Back in those days we watched "Top Cat" on TV, before bedtime.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 31, 2017, 07:55:49 PM

40 lbs is beyond impressive.  Is it really felix domesticus?  I've seen some amazing hybrids...

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin