Jim Crow, Civil Rights Movement, and the "Wal-Mart' Confederate Statue

Started by Shiranu, August 19, 2017, 11:31:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

IEdit: Annnnd I lost the video. Fuck.

This shows when the majority of Confederate Memorials were produced... during Jim Crow, and during the Civil Rights Movement, and it shows a trend; every time African American rights come up, the "Confederate" symbolism expands. This isn't just statues... it can be seen during Obama's presidency as well, culminating with Roof's violence & all the Confederate symbolism he used. The video also explains why these memorials are both super generic and why they are so cheaply made; they were basically Walmart statues made of cheap materials that you could get for a few hundred dollars.

If a small town couldn't afford it, the "Daughters of the Confederacy" would often donate either for the statues or the statues themselves, hence the reason so many monuments bear their name. This group is also a group that actively pushes, to this day, removing black history from text books and insisting the civil war was about states' rights and not slavery (when basically every state that seceded said it was about slavery).

When threads talk about how tearing these monuments down is "erasing cultural history" and are acts of "cultural vandalism", my earlier remarks were actually more true than I realised; these statues are in themselves an attempt to rewrite cultural history to show the South as this noble cause, of good guys on the wrong side of history, when in truth the Confederate States were anything but. The term used is the "Lost Cause" myth.

As also mentioned before, the very people who put these statues up said it was to make sure the newly freed African Americans knew who the real masters still were.

"Tearing down Confederate Monuments isn't about clearing history away; it's about clearing away the fog of mass produced propaganda that keeps us from seeing our history the way it truly happened, and the legacy of slavery that still lives on today."

This is why I said I do not think you, as a Scotsman Munch, are really qualified to remark on our cultural monuments, since you are simply ignorant to the finer details of our history (and I say that admitting I am completely ignorant to many of the finer details of yours). Having grown up in the South, gone to college in both the South and a Free State, I have seen what is taught on both sides and have been raised and immersed in the culture for basically the last 26 years and simply have a more authoritative opinion on it... just as you would have if I was to come to Scotland and comment on something like changing street names or something to stop paying homage to the Royalists and the Crown... we both could be right, but the other would simply be more likely to be right and should present the evidence like above as to why they are so.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Sorginak

I was not born in the south, but I was raised there unfortunately.  However, my small town was relatively mild in every aspect except religion, from which I had to hide who I was on two scales.

What I do understand is that the confederate flag is a veritable symbol of hate and those confederate monuments do need to be removed.

Cavebear

Quote from: Sorginak on August 19, 2017, 11:36:41 PM
I was not born in the south, but I was raised there unfortunately.  However, my small town was relatively mild in every aspect except religion, from which I had to hide who I was on two scales.

What I do understand is that the confederate flag is a veritable symbol of hate and those confederate monuments do need to be removed.

I was not born in the South, but I was forced to live in Virginia from age 9-13 and forced to learn "The War Of Northern Aggression", "Lee was a US patriot", and the war was about State's Rights.  And even at that young age, it never made much sense to me.

Then we moved to Maryland. And while that was practically a Border State, I learned the facts.  Nerly every Confederate State mad it explicit in their constitutions that their purpose for rebelling was to support slavery.  Its right there in black and white (no pun intended).

You CAN'T read their reasons for leaving the US without understanding clearly that maintaining slavery was the cause.

It is time to accept that and stop glorifying the Confederacy and it's leaders, political and military. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Myth of the US Civil War is that slavery is ended ...

It hasn't ended chattel slavery for 20,000 young women ...

It hasn't ended wage slavery ...

It hasn't ended debt slavery ...

All you slaves need to STFU and get back to picking the cotton ...

America is exceptional?  Bullshit.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.