News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Posting on Facebook

Started by pr126, August 19, 2017, 12:04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 20, 2017, 11:39:48 AM
Cavebear, just the guy I'm looking for.  Gardening question.  We have an organic garden in the back yard--no grass, just the large garden; mostly in containers to accommodate our three dogs.  Anyway--we grew three types of tomatoes this year.  Store bought plants (early girl, celebrity, and big boy)--they produced fruit.  Heirloom from an on-line vendor--3 plants.  Plants are big (4-6 ft. tall) with blossoms--no fruit (planted 2/3 months ago).  And three plants raised from seeds from last year.  They are 3/5 ft tall, with blooms and no fruit.  Do you have any idea why a tomato plant would do that--bloom with no fruit?  We live in the central CA valley and have had an exceptionally hot summer--one stretch of 100 daily and the night temp usually over 70.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.   (Yeah, I know--buy them at the store.) :))

Wow, that is a lot to digest!  Containers are hard to grow in, soil and fertilizer matters, and hybrids and heirlooms grow differently!

First, no don't buy anything except cherry or grape tomatoes at the store.  The large ones lose all their flavor because the stores chill them for storage.  It's a tomato enzyme thing.  They are tropical and the "flavoroids" (a real term) deteriorate below 50F.

I'm not sure if your 3 tomatoes are the Early girl, Celebrity, and Big Boy and are your only 3 or if you also have 3 heirlooms.

And I am talking from MD, so central CA can be different.

Your 3 hybrids should ripen mostly at once and be done.  Hybrids are determinate, grow to a size, fruit, and they've done their work.  Heirlooms are generally indeterminate vines and will just keep gowing and fruiting most of the season (it is their original form).

BUT they are sensitive to temperature.  Over 90F in daytime and over 70F at night, and the pollen gets "sticky" and wont spread.  Tomatoes are self-pollinating, so that matters. 

Tomatoes need root space, so containers should be about 10 gallons.  I've grown them in 5 gallon containers but you have to keep them watered and fed constantly.

I wish I had better news for you.  On the other hand, if it is JUST the temperature, they can set new fruits and ripen in your area I think. 

If you want, I can research Central CA tomato growth recommendations for next year's plantings...  I do tend toward heirlooms and organic growing though.  ;)

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

pr126

Quote from: Cavebear on August 20, 2017, 08:10:41 AM
I'll add to that, PR, since you raised the subject.  The 4 focusses in my life are gardening, cats, politics, and atheism, in not particular order.

I spend most of my daytime tending to the yard with the garden and flowers.  I spend much of my time with the 3 cats.  I feed them, play with them, toss toys to them, and make sure they are happy.  At night they sleep all around me.  They are happy cats.

Most nights, I visit a gardening site where I answer questions based on 45 years of experience, learn a few things from other posters, and enjoy the company of other people who love growing things. 

When I am done with THAT, every few nights, I visit Atheist Forums.  Then, and only then, I tend to stay online long enough to read and then answer questions and express my views.  I'm retired and have time.  I do it because I really care about atheism.  I don't do it because I bored.  I do it because I think atheism is the only way out of the screwed up world the superstitious crazy theists have created in their fear of dying and some all-powerful raging deity.

I sit and respond to posts by crazy christians and crazy moslems mostly, but crazy jews and crazy hindus would  also be the same to me!

In case you haven't noticed, I seldom create threads myself.  I am comfortable in my atheism and I don't go pushing it with new provocative threads.  Mostly, I just want to speak to fellow atheists and their concerns and questions.  I do feel bound to respond to non-atheists about their misunderstanding of atheism or their own theisms. 

There are participants on the Board I do not like.  There are probably participants on the Board you do not like.  WOW, what a shock!

I'm not here because I'm "bored".  I'm here because the subject matters to me. 

Got it?

Yes, I did.

Here is my garden.
One album for every year.

My hobby is gardening, Photography, cooking/baking, long walks on the Canal side, and technology/gadgets, computers, music, reading. Not TV.

Also retired (74) with some medical problems. 

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on August 20, 2017, 12:37:00 PM

Yes, I did.

Here is my garden.

My hobby is gardening, Photography, cooking/baking, long walks on the Canal side, and technology/gadgets, computers, music, reading. Not TV.

Good, there is hope for you yet...

Cant get the URL to work.  Got a 2015 calendar.  But I accept your claim.  See?  We are all more than we know of each other.

pr126

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on August 20, 2017, 01:11:06 PM

see if this works: (flickr)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127471614@N07/albums/72157669268734445

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127471614@N07/albums/72157666683926643

OUTSTANDING!  See?  I dislike you much less now.  For a while...  But seriously.  Those pictures were awesome!  Where did you get them from?

And I'm kidding again.  I trust those are yours.  So consider we aren't crazy either.  And, you know, that's why people used to make a ceremony of "breaking bread" and offerring it.  It's hard to dislike someone who feeds you.  We need to find a way to do that on the internet when we get all foccussed on our differences.

pr126

I like shrimps, all seafood. A bit of a luxury on a pension.

I am an amateur photographer. Just sold all my kit, Canon 7D with 5 lenses and other things.
Getting too old to carry all that gear. I walk with a stick.

I know that my politics are unwelcome on this forum.
Can't help it. I am not on the left or the right.
I see the world is collapsing into the gutter around me, and it does upset me.

Cavebear

I offer you part of a loaf of my bread...

pr126

Quote from: Cavebear on August 20, 2017, 01:36:56 PM
I offer you part of a loaf of my bread...
Thank you. Sourdough, please.

Here is my own loaf:

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on August 20, 2017, 12:33:43 PM
Wow, that is a lot to digest!  Containers are hard to grow in, soil and fertilizer matters, and hybrids and heirlooms grow differently!

First, no don't buy anything except cherry or grape tomatoes at the store.  The large ones lose all their flavor because the stores chill them for storage.  It's a tomato enzyme thing.  They are tropical and the "flavoroids" (a real term) deteriorate below 50F.

I'm not sure if your 3 tomatoes are the Early girl, Celebrity, and Big Boy and are your only 3 or if you also have 3 heirlooms.

And I am talking from MD, so central CA can be different.

Your 3 hybrids should ripen mostly at once and be done.  Hybrids are determinate, grow to a size, fruit, and they've done their work.  Heirlooms are generally indeterminate vines and will just keep gowing and fruiting most of the season (it is their original form).

BUT they are sensitive to temperature.  Over 90F in daytime and over 70F at night, and the pollen gets "sticky" and wont spread.  Tomatoes are self-pollinating, so that matters. 

Tomatoes need root space, so containers should be about 10 gallons.  I've grown them in 5 gallon containers but you have to keep them watered and fed constantly.

I wish I had better news for you.  On the other hand, if it is JUST the temperature, they can set new fruits and ripen in your area I think. 

If you want, I can research Central CA tomato growth recommendations for next year's plantings...  I do tend toward heirlooms and organic growing though.  ;)
Thanks for the reply.  The store bought are all in containers.  They came to fruit fairly quickly.  2 of the three plants are done, I think--but the other is still producing, but at a slower rate.  Two of the three heirlooms are in-ground and one container.  The in-ground are about 5 ft and full of blooms.  The third is in a 20 gal container (all of our veg containers are 20 gal) is about 4 ft tall and full of blooms.  No fruit yet--we also heard that they don't like temps of over 100 and lows in the 70's.  The three plants grown from seed (zebra's) are all in containers and are bout 3/4 feet tall and have blooms and no fruit.  I think the weather effects them, as well.  Last week we left the 100/70 degree days into days in the mid to high 90's and the lows in the mid 60's.  Hopefully, that will aid in the generation of fruit.  I guess we will see.  I do water daily and I fertilize weekly--use fish emulsion and liquid kelp.  Also put coffee grounds and egg shells around the plants.

We also have zinnias, dahlias, and sunflowers--and marigolds in with the vegs as a bug repellent; over a dozen herbs, cucumbers, peppers, egg plant and many different leafy vegs.  Several fruit trees--and a bunch of other plants.  My wife is the engineer and basically I'm the shovel guy. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

Quote from: pr126 on August 20, 2017, 12:37:00 PM

Yes, I did.

Here is my garden.

Damn, pr!!!  Love that garden--beautiful!  A gardener and baker--great combo!  I forgot to mention, we have several different roses as well.  Pr, I am impressed.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

As cavebear suggests--breaking bread and a little conversation does wonders for a conversation or relationship.  And make mine sourdough, as well!

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on August 20, 2017, 01:33:26 PM

I am an amateur photographer. Just sold all my kit, Canon 7D with 5 lenses and other things.

I think I may step back a bit from debate.  I expected crazy theists.  I got "interesting people with different interpretations".  And a few crazy theists...  But more the former.  Thank you, all hope is not lost.

Baruch

Quote from: pr126 on August 20, 2017, 01:33:26 PM

This is normal aging .. the conservative politics, the world is coming to an end.  It is ... for you and me and the other old folk.  The young will get theirs! ... some day ;-)

Others - stop loafing around!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 20, 2017, 03:29:57 PM
This is normal aging .. the conservative politics, the world is coming to an end.  It is ... for you and me and the other old folk.  The young will get theirs! ... some day ;-)

Others - stop loafing around!

Hey, I'm 67 and a flaming moderate!  Progressive moderate.  Hey you kids get off my lawn!