News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hello from a curious member

Started by GBTG, November 02, 2017, 06:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on November 07, 2017, 09:34:42 AM
Theism and atheism are opposites.  The latter is "the not" of the former.  Theists persist in the hare-brained concept that "atheism" is just another theism.  I resent it.  It is as if you tried to claim the moon was a species of cow.
I understand and appreciate your point.  But I tend to think of love and hate as not opposite, but the other side of the same coin.  I see indifference as the opposite of love.  I view atheism and theism the same.  They are not the other side of the same coin.  They are opposite one another.  Atheism is indifferent to theism.  I see religions as being the other side of the same coin; atheism as being indifferent to the idea of religion in any and all forms.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 07, 2017, 10:17:26 AM
I understand and appreciate your point.  But I tend to think of love and hate as not opposite, but the other side of the same coin.  I see indifference as the opposite of love.  I view atheism and theism the same.  They are not the other side of the same coin.  They are opposite one another.  Atheism is indifferent to theism.  I see religions as being the other side of the same coin; atheism as being indifferent to the idea of religion in any and all forms.

You put it better than I did.  Thank you.  Had I to repost my thoughts, I might have theisms as a bunch of small circles together on one page and atheism as non-circle not on a page at all.  All comparisons fail to some degree though.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Theism and atheism are opposites.  The latter is "the not" of the former.  Theists persist in the hare-brained concept that "atheism" is just another theism.  I resent it.  It is as if you tried to claim the moon was a species of cow.

Theism and anti-theism are opposites.  But that is not what MikeCL is pointing to.  His atheism is un-religion, not anti-religion.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on November 07, 2017, 01:17:06 PM
Theism and anti-theism are opposites.  But that is not what MikeCL is pointing to.  His atheism is un-religion, not anti-religion.

My interest is a world of non-religion.  I merely have to deal with theists until then.  The JWs came banging on my door last week.  Again.

My ideal world would not involve any theisms.  It still is cow and moon...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 07, 2017, 01:53:12 PM
My interest is a world of non-religion.  I merely have to deal with theists until then.  The JWs came banging on my door last week.  Again.

My ideal world would not involve any theisms.  It still is cow and moon...

My interest is a world of non-Gentiles.  I would do your bris ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on November 07, 2017, 07:17:24 PM
My interest is a world of non-Gentiles.  I would do your bris ;-)

My world would be simpler that yours.  A world of Cavebears.  And peons.  What, isn't that the Republican dream?  I would be a logical but benevolent tyrant.  Galadriel with the Ring on meds...

Gawdzilla Sama

Well, theists practice athinking, which they believe is similar to atheism.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 11, 2017, 09:37:15 AM
Well, theists practice athinking, which they believe is similar to atheism.

Ack! THAT WAS GREAT!  I cracked up.  "athinking"  You made my day...  I want to see that one in the dictionary soon.