News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Freedom of speech, anyone?

Started by pr126, August 17, 2017, 12:11:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on August 17, 2017, 06:29:58 AM
Universities should only ever be about education and nothing else, it should never be about pushing a political doctrine regardless of whatever the students political leaning is. Seems certain tutors don't prescribe to that however and want to drill their personal bias onto developing minds.

Exposure to varying political thoughts is educational too.  The point is VARYING political thoughts.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: pr126 on August 17, 2017, 01:47:36 AM
Or rather, their parents. No student has that kind of money.
Parents who don't know or care how their youngsters are being "educated".

You are the master of sweeping generalizations.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 17, 2017, 06:55:58 AM
Exposure to varying political thoughts is educational too.  The point is VARYING political thoughts.

Does Caligula count as a minority to be tolerated?  Two D party guys in total agreement ... that R party guys are racist ... isn't a variance.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 17, 2017, 05:31:41 AM
A typical argument of neo-nazis.  The left debates all the time.  It is nearly a hobby.  The best analogy I can offer here is that the extreme Right is like creationists here on the atheist forum.

They debate .. Marxism vs Leninism vs Stalinism vs Maoism ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Sorginak on August 17, 2017, 01:24:30 AM
The students do pay the bills, so to speak.  ;)

Upset the students, and they will take their money elsewhere.

Parents pay the bills, mostly.  Yes, take their money to Moscow University.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 17, 2017, 06:55:58 AM

Agreed, teaching about the two schools or varying aspects of politics, examples in history, but not tutors forcing their views or grading based on those political biases
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on August 17, 2017, 08:06:51 AM
Agreed, teaching about the two schools or varying aspects of politics, examples in history, but not tutors forcing their views or grading based on those political biases
Seminars are best for learning, but we don't get into those until senior years here.  It should start earlier.

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on August 17, 2017, 10:21:22 AM
Defining Academic Freedom

I presume, since you posted it, you have some opinion on that?  Otherwise, why mention it?

Sorginak

I look at it logically in this way:
Having a speaker that proscribes to a hateful ideology is akin to a Nazi addressing a room full of Jewish holocaust camp survivors or a slave owner addressing a room full of black people. 

Cavebear

Quote from: Sorginak on August 17, 2017, 10:52:46 AM
I look at it logically in this way:
Having a speaker that proscribes to a hateful ideology is akin to a Nazi addressing a room full of Jewish holocaust camp survivors or a slave owner addressing a room full of black people.

Yeah, but did that ever stop a Southern White Congressman from holding such views?  In rural areas, they still talk that way.

SoldierofFortune

Now a muslo will come and say: they are marginal group of people, dont blame islam, blame muslims : )

Cavebear

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on August 17, 2017, 11:07:02 AM
Now a muslo will come and say: they are marginal group of people, dont blame islam, blame muslims : )

Those who do not condemn, agree by silence...

Sorginak

Quote from: Cavebear on August 17, 2017, 11:19:31 AM
Those who do not condemn, agree by silence...

Great, now use that same logic with the original post. 

Cavebear

Quote from: Sorginak on August 17, 2017, 11:24:08 AM
Great, now use that same logic with the original post.

I did not agree with stifling speech in the original post.  But I also did not say the speech could not be questioned or protested. 

Personally, I listened to many speeches I did not like in college, but I sat on my hands until they were done.  THEN I yelled...