Does Trump represent the American nation or Is he the man of the global capital?

Started by SoldierofFortune, August 15, 2017, 06:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on August 17, 2017, 05:10:58 PM
Looking at your chatter on baseball ... that reminds me of a theory I have about political behavior .. people who are highly competitive about sports (I hate X team but love Y team) ... have very polarized views of politics.  Your personality supports that theory.  I am not highly competitive about sports ... so my actual views aren't very polarized (and hence I am Centrist) ... though of course to people like me, polarized people are ... triggering.  I don't find extreme partisanship about sports threatening, but in politics I do.  Competing lemmings make me want to just opt out.  This is also why you would never find me trying to get in the middle of a KKK vs Black Lives Matters rally ... regardless of who I lean toward.  My prejudice leans toward BLM in that case.
So, that is a hypothesis of yours, is it?  I hope you have tested it with more than me.  Since you don't really know me and you have not tested me in any meaningful way, I'd suggest you learn what  a theory is--what a hypothesis is and what a guess is.  I guess you should.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 17, 2017, 10:57:06 PM
So, that is a hypothesis of yours, is it?  I hope you have tested it with more than me.  Since you don't really know me and you have not tested me in any meaningful way, I'd suggest you learn what  a theory is--what a hypothesis is and what a guess is.  I guess you should.

The observation is based on years of observation of the political behavior of many Americans.  If it doesn't apply to you, then it doesn't.  But doesn't invalidate the idea.  Leftists would say however ... that sports is part of ur-fascism.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on August 18, 2017, 05:28:30 AM
The observation is based on years of observation of the political behavior of many Americans.  If it doesn't apply to you, then it doesn't.  But doesn't invalidate the idea.  Leftists would say however ... that sports is part of ur-fascism.
And we all know how unbiased of an observer you are, too.  I don't care what the left--or the right--say sports is.  I know you were just on the verge of asking, so I'll be glad to share why I'm drawn to baseball.  It's the stats.  Yep--the stats.  I love that I can evaluate a player from 1910 to a player from 2016.  It's not easy and a lot of different factors have to be taken into account, but it can be done fairly accurately, or so I think.  It's the stats that supply that line of history that connects the game of then to now.  Oddly enough, I don't read the life stories of any of my baseball 'hero's'.  No, not even Babe Ruth.  Why?  Because they all have clay feet.  I don't want to know all about Ruth and his chasing women.  I don't want to know about Cobb and his nasty attitude and racism.  I don't want to know about Mantle and his drinking and womanizing.  I don't want to know about Bonds and his use/unuse of drugs.  I love their stats and the stats that drive the game.  And that's where I want to keep it. 

The same with football, except the stats are not as neat and tidy as they are in baseball.  So, I enjoy it because in HS I played it.  My football hero's are based more on the position(s) I played than on anything else. 

So, there you are.  Put whatever spin you'd like on it--you always do. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Atheon

My politics are based on the idea that the advancement of the human species is a virtue.

I see any political ideology that promotes hatred and bigotry, restricts freedom, retards justice, promotes superstition, allows environmental destruction, and advocates armed conflict as detrimental to human advancement. Policies that promote science, knowledge, rationality, freedom, fairness, openness, equality, understanding, brotherhood, health, peace and love are good for human advancement.

This is why I am a liberal, not a conservative. This is why I oppose fascism, communism, theocracy (of any religion, including Islam), and other forms of authoritarianism, and prefer social democracy.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Baruch

Quote from: Atheon on August 18, 2017, 12:43:09 PM
My politics are based on the idea that the advancement of the human species is a virtue.

I see any political ideology that promotes hatred and bigotry, restricts freedom, retards justice, promotes superstition, allows environmental destruction, and advocates armed conflict as detrimental to human advancement. Policies that promote science, knowledge, rationality, freedom, fairness, openness, equality, understanding, brotherhood, health, peace and love are good for human advancement.

This is why I am a liberal, not a conservative. This is why I oppose fascism, communism, theocracy (of any religion, including Islam), and other forms of authoritarianism, and prefer social democracy.

Too bad you were born on the wrong planet ;-(  I have developed over time, that I am not quite sure the human race is a good idea to begin with.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on August 17, 2017, 03:27:57 AM
The US is a representative democracy.  That means we have the right to elect a President who is an utter blithering idiot by means of an Electoral College that isn't completely representative of the exact total voters.
I used to think, naively, that the electoral college was there to keep us from electing someone like Chump - or GW Bush - but I've wised up some since then.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

Quote from: Atheon on August 18, 2017, 12:43:09 PM
This is why I am a liberal, not a conservative.
Either that, or you just have a very small amygdala...
God Not Found

Sorginak

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 18, 2017, 06:21:05 PM
I used to think, naively, that the electoral college was there to keep us from electing someone like Chump - or GW Bush - but I've wised up some since then.

Indeed, the electoral college is outdated and needs to go.

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sorginak

Quote from: Baruch on August 18, 2017, 07:51:51 PM
America is outdated ... and needs to go ;-)

True. Good thing patriotism is below me.

Shiranu

Neither. Trump is the candidate of bigots, xenophobes, and the hateful.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on August 18, 2017, 08:02:19 PM
Neither. Trump is the candidate of bigots, xenophobes, and the hateful.

Good thing I didn't vote for him.  I doubt many regulars here did, if any.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sorginak