News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The solar system, to true scale.

Started by trdsf, August 14, 2017, 12:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Setting the moon as the fundamental unit of 1 pixel.  You'll be scrolling for a while...
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

Quote from: trdsf on August 14, 2017, 12:16:33 PM
Setting the moon as the fundamental unit of 1 pixel.  You'll be scrolling for a while...
At least I could use that arrow on my scroll bar.  I got as far as Mars, got the idea, and decided that was good enough.

aitm

That was fun........for about a minute....okay  30 seconds.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

I remember a Utube video, where some astronomer said something like, "OK, suppose the Sun is this pea.  I'll put it on the ground, and ride my bike to Earth."  So he gets on his bike and pedals down the road a couple hundred yards, and says, "OK, now I'm at the Earth."  Well, it was something like that.  I can't remember if it was pea or two hundred yards, or a half mile, or a mile, but I got the idea.

Unbeliever

I cheated, and just dragged the bottom scroll thingy 'til I got to Pluto...didn't take so long that way.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Sal1981

I stumbled upon this site years ago.  There are shortcut tabbed links at the top of the page, the 10 icons within the 2 arrows.

Unbeliever

Quote from: SGOS on August 14, 2017, 01:16:59 PM
I remember a Utube video, where some astronomer said something like, "OK, suppose the Sun is this pea.  I'll put it on the ground, and ride my bike to Earth."  So he gets on his bike and pedals down the road a couple hundred yards, and says, "OK, now I'm at the Earth."  Well, it was something like that.  I can't remember if it was pea or two hundred yards, or a half mile, or a mile, but I got the idea.
I found this, but not a video yet:

If Earth were the size of a pea

God Not Found

Sorginak

"true to scale", wouldn't it take me years to scrolls to reach certain points?

Mr.Obvious

I too cheated, and got to pluto.
Did read everything along the way.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

trdsf

Quote from: Sorginak on August 15, 2017, 05:39:20 PM
"true to scale", wouldn't it take me years to scrolls to reach certain points?
In just the solar system?  No.  Hours at the most, at the speed of light.  Even the Voyager probes, which are now just entering interstellar space, are only about one light-*day* distant.

Edit: I wasn't planning to go look it up, but I just stumbled across it.  After 40 years in space as of September 5, Voyager 1 is now whopping 19.285 light hours from Earth.  That's all, not even a whole light day.  After traveling for forty years, currently at about 38,000 miles an hour.  Ten and a half miles a second.

Space, as Douglas Adams wrote, is big. 
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

Space may be really, really big, but it still pales in comparison to Chump's ego.
God Not Found

Baruch

Megalomaniacs of the world unite!  You have but to lose your business regulation and estate taxes!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

If I recall correctly, you put a baseball at 2nd base for a nucleus and the electrons are grain of sand buzzing around the outer bleachers for and atom.  Simplified, of course.  I think lately, the electrons are considered more of a fog out there.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on August 17, 2017, 06:03:50 AM
If I recall correctly, you put a baseball at 2nd base for a nucleus and the electrons are grain of sand buzzing around the outer bleachers for and atom.  Simplified, of course.  I think lately, the electrons are considered more of a fog out there.
Pretty much.  They don't even talk about electron orbits anymore -- it occupies an orbital, which is a probability cloud of where the electron could be at any instant.  But the old planetary model makes the idea of electron shells a bit easier to get a handle on.

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on August 17, 2017, 08:30:47 AM
Pretty much.  They don't even talk about electron orbits anymore -- it occupies an orbital, which is a probability cloud of where the electron could be at any instant.  But the old planetary model makes the idea of electron shells a bit easier to get a handle on.

Yeah, I remember little punch pins in the earliest science classes where electrons had orbits and quantum changes between orbits had the effects thought to be seen then. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!