Charlottesville Terrorist Attack Leaves 1 Dead, 19 Injured

Started by Shiranu, August 13, 2017, 04:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/13/opinions/charlottesville-act-of-domestic-terrorism-bergen/index.html

QuoteOn Saturday, a 20-year-old man from Ohio allegedly rammed his car into a group of people gathered to protest a white nationalist rally, killing a 32-year old woman and injuring 19 others. If James Alex Fields Jr., of Maumee, Ohio, indeed intended to harm the counter-protesters, then his act deserves to be branded domestic terrorism.

Political violence in the United States takes all shapes and forms and on Saturday in Charlottesville, Virginia, we saw one of its manifestations, militant right-wing terrorism.

New America, a non-partisan think tank that tracks political violence, finds that jihadist terrorists have killed 95 people in the United States since al Qaeda's attacks on 9/11, while the attack in Charlottesville brings the number to 68 people that have been killed by far-right terrorists in the States during the same time period.

Other forms of political violence have also emerged in the past couple of years. Black nationalist terrorists have killed 8 people in the United States since 2016, while in June a terrorist motivated by extremist anti-Trump views shot at a Republican congressional baseball practice in Alexandria, Virginia, critically wounding Rep. Steve Scalise who is recovering.

n Saturday President Donald Trump condemned the attack in Charlottesville in general terms, but didn't specifically call out the white nationalists who had convened the rally and who are responsible for the death and injuries that occurred there.
Trump said, "We condemn in the strongest possible terms this egregious display of hatred, bigotry and violence, on many sides. On many sides."

In 2016 Trump opined on CNN "I think Islam hates us" and he has repeatedly condemned "radical Islamic terrorism," but he has been noticeably silent about the actions and beliefs of the white nationalists and alt-right militants of the kind that rallied in Charlottesville on Saturday.

Indeed, since Trump took office -- and before the Charlottesville incident -- far-right militants have killed three people in two separate incidents in New York City and Portland, Oregon; a black nationalist terrorist also killed three and a jihadist militant killed one person, according to New America research.

The lack of acknowledgement and condemnation of militant right-wing terrorism echoes another area of silence by Trump. He has not condemned those behind the bomb that detonated at a Minneapolis suburban mosque a week ago. The perpetrators have not been identified in that case. Luckily the bomb injured no one, but so far the reaction to the attack by the usually voluble Trump has been to say nothing.

Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton described the mosque bombing as "an act of terrorism."

Let's see if Trump offers the same kind of condemnation of the terrorist attack in Charlottesville.

For those who haven't been following, Charlottesville has become a white-nationalist playground, forcing businesses to close while they  storm the streets and shout their bigoted, hateful and most importantly violent ideology. Several African Americans have been injured by roving bands of radicalized domestic terrorists.

Stop and think about that for a second; this is exactly what FOX News has been saying is happening in Europe, that they shared over, and over, and over, and over and people bought, that even they had to admit they lied about. But when it's happening right here in the United States... suddenly they are completely silent. Where is the 24/7 news about these bands of radicalized ideological terrorists? Where is the 24/7 news about how these people actually have a voice in our government? Where is the president of the United States explicitly condemning the actions of these people?

You're not going to see those headlines, because they were white. Your not going to read those articles, because much of the white American society silently agrees to an extent with their radical ideology. And you aren't going to hear the president of the United States condemn domestic terrorism, but instead say that, "Welllll... everyone is to blame! We cant single any one group out!", because these are the people that put him in power.

Congratulations. Perhaps we are so afraid of Muslims because they remind us so much of ourselves? And congrats to our friends here and across the web that actively promote this violent ideology.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

aitm

I have been following and rather outspoken on other media. 99% is positive, one ass hole thinks blacks are too uppity. Keep up the fight!
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Sorry, but uppity Yankees should stay away.  And any other sensible person as well.  The State Dept recommends that all travelers stay away from local demonstrations.  This should apply to people traveling in the US, even if US citizens.  We will have to wait and see just what motivated the car driver, or if he was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Unless of course one thinks they can see into his soul.  Even if in the wrong place at the wrong time, still probably a felonious careless driving charge.  If the suspect is a neo-Nazi that doesn't make him automatically guilty of the charge.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/13/us/james-alex-fields-charlottesville-driver-.html

QuoteWhen Mr. Fields was a freshman, he wrote a report for another class that was “very much along the party lines of the neo-Nazi movement,” Mr. Weimer said.

“A lot of boys get interested in the Germans and Nazis because they’re interested in World War II,” he said. “But James took it to another level.”

A photographer said he saw Mr. Fields on Saturday with symbols of Vanguard America, a group whose manifesto declares that “a government based in the natural law must not cater to the false notion of equality.” The organization denied any ties to Mr. Fields.

Funny, I don't remember anyone ever stopping to say, "Gee, I wonder if the terrorist in France, in Sweden, in London, was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.".

Cant have your cake and eat it too. Either we instantly assume everyone who commits an act of terrorism is a terrorist, or we don't. But when the only difference is the colour of his skin, or the fact that he follows a Western form of violent ideology instead of an Eastern, means the only reason we question his motives is because we are either racist or hypocrites. Neither one we should take pride in.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on August 13, 2017, 10:05:15 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/13/us/james-alex-fields-charlottesville-driver-.html

Funny, I don't remember anyone ever stopping to say, "Gee, I wonder if the terrorist in France, in Sweden, in London, was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.".

Cant have your cake and eat it too. Either we instantly assume everyone who commits an act of terrorism is a terrorist, or we don't. But when the only difference is the colour of his skin, or the fact that he follows a Western form of violent ideology instead of an Eastern, means the only reason we question his motives is because we are either racist or hypocrites. Neither one we should take pride in.

See ... judge, jury and executioner ... at the same time.  Very Progressive.  And no, I don't believe in the war on terrorism ... it isn't clear to me what or who is pushing it ... Islam or CIA.  So no, I really don't care for a hate crime or terrorism ... but vehicular homicide is just that ... nothing more, nothing less.  So unless you were there at the demonstration ... you really don't know more than I do what happened.  Certainly the victims in France etc ... were in the wrong place at the wrong time ... but those weren't demonstrations, there was no need for excessive precaution.  But you can die suddenly are rock concerts too.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

I am not surprised that President Trump can easliy refer to Islamist Terrorists but cannot say the words "White Supremist" or "Christian Terrorists".  He thinks they are right.

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 14, 2017, 12:53:27 AM
I am not surprised that President Trump can easliy refer to Islamist Terrorists but cannot say the words "White Supremist" or "Christian Terrorists".  He thinks they are right.

Well when your D party gets the next Stalin in office, y'all can deal with that.  But will there be any White males in the D party by then?  Party of the Big Tent ... my ass.  Of course the R party is ugly too.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

I get being cynical and thinking everyone is terrible is your shtick, but at this point it feels alot less like a thoughtful cynicism and more cynicism just to be edgy...

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on August 14, 2017, 01:08:36 AM
I get being cynical and thinking everyone is terrible is your shtick, but at this point it feels alot less like a thoughtful cynicism and more cynicism just to be edgy...

Ouch, you got me, I am just a very mature sounding 21 year old ;-))

Yes, everyone is terrible, but not in the same ways.  But people get all stuffed shirt over ... my evil is better than your evil.  No self reflection at all, like vampires.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on August 14, 2017, 01:08:36 AM

The object of you post is not clear.  Can you specify who this is aimed at?

Shiranu

Quote from: Cavebear on August 14, 2017, 01:17:17 AM

Baruch, not you.

Cavebear

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 14, 2017, 01:17:17 AM

More fur ball satire?  Or are you dense?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.