Yet another political quiz! (8values)

Started by Hydra009, August 11, 2017, 08:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on August 17, 2017, 03:32:57 AM
They fought for the hopes they would one day own some slaves and get rich.  They fought because they afraid of slaves (not used to having money) would work for almost nothing, and the poorest whites fought because the idea of competing with blacks was too disturbing.
I like those reasons.  It has seemed to me that the poor Southerners I've known, many of them wanted to keep the darkies below them--they seemed to feel they could elevate themselves if they could stand on the backs of the colored.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 17, 2017, 09:20:30 AM
I like those reasons.  It has seemed to me that the poor Southerners I've known, many of them wanted to keep the darkies below them--they seemed to feel they could elevate themselves if they could stand on the backs of the colored.

When you are poor, you want to have someone poorer and more downtrodden to make you feel better about yourself.  That is the same today.  Do you think any of those neo-Nazis carrying torches, batons, shields, and AK-47s were there because they had SUCCESSFUL lives?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 17, 2017, 09:10:34 AM
I was just watching a Civil War DVD (not Ken Burns') and it emphasised my point about poor Southern Whites fearing free blacks who would work for less pay than the Whites were accustomed to.  Which was sure not much. 

And I heard some twit on cable news today who claimed that that the only reason the south lost the war was that the North enlisted "100s of thousands of blacks to attack them"  I had to laugh at that.  The North had 10% 0f the army black at the end of the war and they didn't need them.

The North had so many soldiers they didn't even know what to do with them all in one place.  So they sent a lot out west to subdue indian tribes.

Not that that was a good thing, but it does show that the Union didn't need Black soldiers to win the war.

But do read about the travesty of the Battle of The Crater...

Gen Grant may not have looked as good in a uniform as Gen McClelland .. but I think President Lincoln liked him, because he was effective at killing soldiers (both his and the opposition).  Gen Grant and Gen Sherman both understood that war was wasn't a gave of chess.  Gen Stonewall Jackson also understood this, but fortunately for the Union, he died early, just after beating the Union at Chancellorsville.  The leadership in the Vietnam War thought they were playing chess.

Black Union soldiers were necessary for morale and political brownie points ;-)  I am glad they did.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Decided to come back a year or two later and redo this test, see how it changed... however, the link to the original image is broken, so I don't know how it change :I.

That said, I know I'm definitely more "nationalist" than I was before, and less liberal as well.

equality 69.5%   30.5% market
nation 42%     58% world
liberty 62.7%     37.3% authority
tradition 38.3%  61.7% progress

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on August 13, 2019, 03:59:40 AM
Decided to come back a year or two later and redo this test, see how it changed... however, the link to the original image is broken, so I don't know how it change :I.

That said, I know I'm definitely more "nationalist" than I was before, and less liberal as well.

equality 69.5%   30.5% market
nation 42%     58% world
liberty 62.7%     37.3% authority
tradition 38.3%  61.7% progress

What test?  I would be glad to take it and report my results.

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on August 13, 2019, 04:13:16 AM
https://8values.github.io/

OK. I had

Equality 64.6%       Markets 35.4%
Nation 42.0%         World  58.0%
Liberty 58.5%        Authority  41.5%
Tradition 35.6%     Progress  64.4%

Closest Match: Social Liberalism

Draconic Aiur

Cavebear

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on August 13, 2019, 05:46:22 AM

Interesting results.  But we disagree by small amounts.  So obviously you are an unforgivable fool.  ;)