Yet another political quiz! (8values)

Started by Hydra009, August 11, 2017, 08:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Don't forget the US Civil War.  Trump's most dedicated followers still think they were right 150 years after. 

Personally, I think every statue of every traitorous Confederate should be taken down and melted in something worthwhile.  Like metal blocks to be dropped into deep sea beds.  They were traitors and should be considered only as such.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 14, 2017, 01:14:24 AM
Don't forget the US Civil War.  Trump's most dedicated followers still think they were right 150 years after. 

Personally, I think every statue of every traitorous Confederate should be taken down and melted in something worthwhile.  Like metal blocks to be dropped into deep sea beds.  They were traitors and should be considered only as such.

General Sherman thought so, but hated Blacks, and admired the Southern lifestyle.  President Lincoln didn't think so.  So has your fur been mouldering in the grave long, Mr John Brown?  So you are another self righteous holy warrior?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

I think the statues belong in museums. They definitely have no place in government property.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 14, 2017, 10:03:40 AM
I think the statues belong in museums. They definitely have no place in government property.
The statues do have some historical value, I suppose.  But the civil war was about slavery.  And these heroes were using their skills, admirable as they were, to promote something wretched that was the cause of much human suffering.  I can tolerate such statues, but I think they are a poor reflection on the South, as they suggest the heroes were fighting for a glorious cause, which they were not.

I can't say I fully understand why the statues are important to some people.  I understand their importance to White Supremacy groups, but I don't know what they mean to average Southerners.  I would hate to think it's because these people are pissed off that they can no longer own other people and treat them like animals.

Sal1981

Quote from: Baruch on August 13, 2017, 09:10:06 PM
In 1940 half the US was anti-Semite.  Germany came to the US to study euthanasia programs in the 30s.  That is just the way it was ... and mostly still is.  Choose a different planet next time you reincarnate.
I saw parts of a TV documentary (the latter half) about the eugenics programs that originated in the U.S., at the turn of the 19th-20th century. Germany, UK, and Scandinavia adopted the eugenics programs of the U.S., which we had a quite a big fight over.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on August 14, 2017, 10:23:44 AM

I can't say I fully understand why the statues are important to some people.  I understand their importance to White Supremacy groups, but I don't know what they mean to average Southerners.  I would hate to think it's because these people are pissed off that they can no longer own other people and treat them like animals.
I have often wondered what the average Southerner was fighting for in the Civil War itself.  They did not, for the most part, own any slaves.  But they fought for the wealthy few to own them?  Sort of like they seem to fight for the right of the 1% to maintain, and grow, their wealth.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 14, 2017, 12:03:43 PM
I have often wondered what the average Southerner was fighting for in the Civil War itself.  They did not, for the most part, own any slaves.  But they fought for the wealthy few to own them?  Sort of like they seem to fight for the right of the 1% to maintain, and grow, their wealth.
I think that was the case.  I saw a scene in a movie once where one Southern private said to another, "We are getting killed so the wealthy plantation owners can continue to own slaves.  I don't know how typical that was of the fighting men, but there are always solders doing their job, because it is their job, without a vested interest in the cause.  We saw this in Vietnam, where most of the guys dying were drafted and had no choice.

Sylar

I agree with the label 'social liberal', and have referred to myself as such in the past.

Having said that, I am not a big fan of these tests. They lack the necessary nuance. You can agree or disagree with some questions, depending on context and situation. Not sure how much those affect the outcome of the quiz.. but there's that.
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." --Oscar Wilde

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 14, 2017, 12:03:43 PM

First they hated damn Yankees for being condescending.  Then they hated damn Yankees for being destructive murderers.  The holier-than-thou attitude, and later behavior of the Yankees, trumped any feeling they had about Southern class systems.  So a proper poor Southerner ... should have been Marxist?

Another thing, many Southerners were from Celtic tribes (Irish, Welsh, Scottish) and they hated anything named .. New England.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on August 14, 2017, 10:23:44 AM
The statues do have some historical value, I suppose.  But the civil war was about slavery.  And these heroes were using their skills, admirable as they were, to promote something wretched that was the cause of much human suffering.  I can tolerate such statues, but I think they are a poor reflection on the South, as they suggest the heroes were fighting for a glorious cause, which they were not.

The way that Yankees seem to think, that if you are the right of Lenin, then you are KKK.  There are many kinds of slavery ... including the wage and debt slavery that the Yankees prefer.  Personally I don't approve of chattel slavery ... but then I don't approve of ape people much.

Actually no American monument should be allowed to stand ... because Native Americans.  When are you Progressives going to all go back to the EU where you belong?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

And the Brits would have you drawn and quartered .. Huzzah!  Speaking of traitors ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I don't have time to take the quiz, but I don't need a quiz to tell me that I'm about as far left as it's possible to be. If I have more time next time, maybe I'll do it.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 14, 2017, 03:52:58 PM
I don't have time to take the quiz, but I don't need a quiz to tell me that I'm about as far left as it's possible to be. If I have more time next time, maybe I'll do it.

Looking forward to what the quiz thinks of what you mean by Left ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Jason Harvestdancer

I took that one, the foreign policy axis annoyed me.  Either one believes the US should submit to other nations, or should enforce its will by force on other nations.  "I leave you alone you leave me alone" was left out of the options, either nationalism or internationalism.  I scored about halfway on that spectrum for rejecting that the UN rule the US and rejecting that the US rule whoever the US wants.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Baruch

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on August 14, 2017, 10:56:22 PM
I took that one, the foreign policy axis annoyed me.  Either one believes the US should submit to other nations, or should enforce its will by force on other nations.  "I leave you alone you leave me alone" was left out of the options, either nationalism or internationalism.  I scored about halfway on that spectrum for rejecting that the UN rule the US and rejecting that the US rule whoever the US wants.

Exactly how I got the same result on foreign policy.  The idea that the world can only be, nuclear armed junk yard dogs ... or a kennel run by foreign animal control officers ... is too limiting.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.