Yet another political quiz! (8values)

Started by Hydra009, August 11, 2017, 08:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 14, 2017, 12:03:43 PM
I have often wondered what the average Southerner was fighting for in the Civil War itself.  They did not, for the most part, own any slaves.  But they fought for the wealthy few to own them?  Sort of like they seem to fight for the right of the 1% to maintain, and grow, their wealth.

If you see someone displaying the Confederate flag, you can be certain they're white supremacists. You actually don't see them too often in the part of Texas I live in, but the flag is a very common sight in North Carolina.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Blackleaf

Quote from: SGOS on August 14, 2017, 10:23:44 AM
The statues do have some historical value, I suppose.  But the civil war was about slavery.  And these heroes were using their skills, admirable as they were, to promote something wretched that was the cause of much human suffering.  I can tolerate such statues, but I think they are a poor reflection on the South, as they suggest the heroes were fighting for a glorious cause, which they were not.

I can't say I fully understand why the statues are important to some people.  I understand their importance to White Supremacy groups, but I don't know what they mean to average Southerners.  I would hate to think it's because these people are pissed off that they can no longer own other people and treat them like animals.

I don't think the average Southerner really cares one way or another. White supremacist groups are the ones who are trying to protect them. Some try to justify it as "part of our history." And that's true. But it was the wrong side of history. They did not die for an honorable cause, so they do not deserve memorials in their honor.
--Fulke Greville--

Unbeliever

Ron Owens, on KGO, pointed out this morning that: Washington had over 300 slaves, so should we scrub him from our money, knock down his statues, etc.?

I couldn't call in, but if I had I'd have pointed out that Washington wasn't a traitor to his country, whereas Lee certainly was, indeed, a traitor, and so shouldn't be honored at all.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Blackleaf

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 15, 2017, 03:13:49 PM
Ron Owens, on KGO, pointed out this morning that: Washington had over 300 slaves, so should we scrub him from our money, knock down his statues, etc.?

I couldn't call in, but if I had I'd have pointed out that Washington wasn't a traitor to his country, whereas Lee certainly was, indeed, a traitor, and so shouldn't be honored at all.

Exactly. Washington may not have been perfect, but he didn't fight for the right to own slaves. He fought to liberate America from its English rulers who didn't give a damn about their needs. That is what he is remembered for. As well as being the first President of the country.
--Fulke Greville--

Sorginak

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on August 14, 2017, 06:14:11 PM
Looking forward to what the quiz thinks of what you mean by Left ;-)
Well, I took a quiz several years ago to see what politician I lined up with the closest, and I matched closest with Dennis Kucinich - 100%. I guess you could call that "left."
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 15, 2017, 04:37:58 PM
Well, I took a quiz several years ago to see what politician I lined up with the closest, and I matched closest with Dennis Kucinich - 100%. I guess you could call that "left."

But ... but ... he later joined Fox News and the Ron Paul organization.  Chameleon?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

fencerider

equality 65.2   34.8 market
nation 46.3     53.7 world
liberty 55.8     44.2 authority
tradition 38.8  60.2 progress

social liberalism

I had a few I dont knows on that quiz. We can't forget the bias of the people that made the test. The way they worded the questions shows the bias of the test.
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 15, 2017, 03:13:49 PM

Washington was a traitor, so were the rest of that bunch.  Draw and quarter them (joke about Washington).  So ... Civil War isn't over, the damn Yankees want to march thru Georgia again?  FU Yankees.  Very few Southern folk owned slaves.  Self righteous Yankees ... funded the slave trade (NY banks).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 15, 2017, 03:49:24 PM
Exactly. Washington may not have been perfect, but he didn't fight for the right to own slaves. He fought to liberate America from its English rulers who didn't give a damn about their needs. That is what he is remembered for. As well as being the first President of the country.

Bull shit ... is that you ... Bishop Weems?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on August 16, 2017, 06:19:33 AM
Washington was a traitor, so were the rest of that bunch.
Yeah, to the tyrant Brits, but not to this country (which, admittedly, didn't exist yet).
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 16, 2017, 04:32:47 PM
Yeah, to the tyrant Brits, but not to this country (which, admittedly, didn't exist yet).

In Britain's eyes, since 1913, we haven't been a country ... just an early Commonwealth partner.  Like Canada, but with worse beer.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 14, 2017, 12:03:43 PM
I have often wondered what the average Southerner was fighting for in the Civil War itself.  They did not, for the most part, own any slaves.  But they fought for the wealthy few to own them?  Sort of like they seem to fight for the right of the 1% to maintain, and grow, their wealth.

They fought for the hopes they would one day own some slaves and get rich.  They fought because they afraid of slaves (not used to having money) would work for almost nothing, and the poorest whites fought because the idea of competing with blacks was too disturbing.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 17, 2017, 03:32:57 AM
They fought for the hopes they would one day own some slaves and get rich.  They fought because they afraid of slaves (not used to having money) would work for almost nothing, and the poorest whites fought because the idea of competing with blacks was too disturbing.

All Americans think they will get rich.  Like Columbus.  But it didn't happen.  White males are still being ruined by cheap labor of women, H1B etc.  It is part of capitalism.  Today you don't need slaves ... you have to feed them.  But employees ... you don't have to feed them.  Yankee scum.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Cavebear on August 17, 2017, 03:32:57 AM

I was just watching a Civil War DVD (not Ken Burns') and it emphasised my point about poor Southern Whites fearing free blacks who would work for less pay than the Whites were accustomed to.  Which was sure not much. 

And I heard some twit on cable news today who claimed that that the only reason the south lost the war was that the North enlisted "100s of thousands of blacks to attack them"  I had to laugh at that.  The North had 10% 0f the army black at the end of the war and they didn't need them.

The North had so many soldiers they didn't even know what to do with them all in one place.  So they sent a lot out west to subdue indian tribes.

Not that that was a good thing, but it does show that the Union didn't need Black soldiers to win the war.

But do read about the travesty of the Battle of The Crater...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!