Author Topic: Eclipse Plans  (Read 1662 times)

Re: Eclipse Plans
« Reply #120 on: August 24, 2017, 11:30:16 PM »
In 2024 I will be tandem jumping during the totality.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Offline SGOS

« Reply #121 on: August 25, 2017, 05:54:13 AM »
In 2024 I will be tandem jumping during the totality.
Those friends I referred to earlier said where they were at, there were some divers coming down during totality.  I can't imagine.  I didn't even take pictures during totality because I didn't want to be distracted by anything else.

Online Cavebear

« Reply #122 on: August 26, 2017, 05:19:17 AM »
I just got back from seeing it. My plans went off without a hitch.

It was truly awesome! A partial eclipse simply doesn't compare to a total eclipse!

Woot!

No wonder ancient people started beating drums and shit.

The total would have been awesome!  I just assumed that whereever I went would have been cloudy, LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!  b 1950

Online Cavebear

« Reply #123 on: September 07, 2017, 04:27:30 AM »
I went to an eclipse in 1979, up in Washington state. Got clouded out - but it did get dark, at least. This one I'll just get the partial, and be happy with it.

I read a joke before the eclipse.  Said if you weren't sure your eclipse glasses were safe, try them at night first.  At least I HOPE that was a joke...

Of course that is just light bent over the gravity well now...

Offline trdsf (OP)

« Reply #124 on: September 07, 2017, 10:41:17 AM »
This was, alas, the best image I could get as the sun re-emerged from THAT STUPID FUCKING CLOUD.

I still need to go through my other camera, but I don't think I've done much better than this.  Which was not what I wanted to see.
"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning." -- Calvin and Hobbes
"I thought I committed regicide today, but I committed deicide!" -- Sadie Doyle, Beyond Belief

Online Cavebear

« Reply #125 on: September 07, 2017, 09:01:15 PM »
This was, alas, the best image I could get as the sun re-emerged from THAT STUPID FUCKING CLOUD.

I still need to go through my other camera, but I don't think I've done much better than this.  Which was not what I wanted to see.

Mine looked just like yours...

Online Cavebear

« Reply #126 on: September 11, 2017, 05:46:43 AM »
Mine looked just like yours...

Mine were like this...

Offline Sal1981

« Reply #127 on: September 11, 2017, 06:36:12 AM »
In 2015 there was an eclipse here in Faroe Islands, but it was cloudy where I was. Got slightly dark for 5 minutes (similar to dusk/dawn) and bright again. Back then people also talked about Jesus coming back and end of the world and whatnot.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" --- Richard P. Feynman

Online Cavebear

« Reply #128 on: September 11, 2017, 06:41:36 AM »
In 2015 there was an eclipse here in Faroe Islands, but it was cloudy where I was. Got slightly dark for 5 minutes (similar to dusk/dawn) and bright again. Back then people also talked about Jesus coming back and end of the world and whatnot.
The superstitious WILL be that way...