News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Eclipse Plans

Started by trdsf, August 10, 2017, 12:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

More could of, should of?  You could have been the Pope (not).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

PopeyesPappy

Well this will be my view of the eclipse.

That's the view through my room window here in Kwajalein. Not what I'd hoped for when I started planning for this event, but I guess it's better than some places I could have ended up.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Gawdzilla Sama

Suffer, dude.

And remember, we're doing it again in 2024.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on August 19, 2017, 03:16:02 PM
Well this will be my view of the eclipse.

That's the view through my room window here in Kwajalein. Not what I'd hoped for when I started planning for this event, but I guess it's better than some places I could have ended up.
I can't say I feel sorry for you.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: SGOS on August 19, 2017, 03:51:51 PM
I can't say I feel sorry for you.

I just came back from breakfast at the mess hall. My first meal since I got here. You should feel sorry for me. I'll be eating a lot of ramen for the next 3 weeks.

If I can get them...

Mike Cl

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on August 19, 2017, 04:16:32 PM
I just came back from breakfast at the mess hall. My first meal since I got here. You should feel sorry for me. I'll be eating a lot of ramen for the next 3 weeks.

If I can get them...
In the late 60's, some members of my unit 'got' to go TDY to Kwajalein for a several days.  Luckily, I was not selected.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 19, 2017, 05:11:55 PM
In the late 60's, some members of my unit 'got' to go TDY to Kwajalein for a several days.  Luckily, I was not selected.

In the late 60s it was probably nicer than it is now. Most of the infrastructure was built in the 50s and 60s so it would have been relatively new then. This is not a gentle environment. Most of the structures are 50 to 60 years old and have had very little little maintenance over the years beyond emergency repairs. The place is pretty run down. Some of it is bordering on falling down.

Mike Cl

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on August 19, 2017, 05:56:55 PM
In the late 60s it was probably nicer than it is now. Most of the infrastructure was built in the 50s and 60s so it would have been relatively new then. This is not a gentle environment. Most of the structures are 50 to 60 years old and have had very little little maintenance over the years beyond emergency repairs. The place is pretty run down. Some of it is bordering on falling down.
Hope you brought books, and a safety hat.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

I'll have it on the TV and standing on the deck...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 19, 2017, 03:32:38 PM
Suffer, dude.

And remember, we're doing it again in 2024.
And that one comes to my back yard.  However, Ohio weather in April being what it is, I'm already planning on Texas.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

I heard that 92% of counties in the path of totality voted for Chump:

The solar eclipse path will overwhelmingly pass over Trump Country

I doubt this means anything, really, but jokes are possible, I guess.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

AllPurposeAtheist

Well crap...the world didn't end.. I was hoping so, but it was cool anyway..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Hydra009

I saw a partial eclipse (with approved eclipse glasses).  It was pretty underwhelming.  Just an orange blob with a black blob in front of it.  It didn't even really get noticeably darker outside.

Hakurei Reimu

I just got back from seeing it. My plans went off without a hitch.

It was truly awesome! A partial eclipse simply doesn't compare to a total eclipse!

Woot!

No wonder ancient people started beating drums and shit.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Baruch

We had like 80% totality, and clear sky.  So watched it from work.  Even a sliver of Sun is still very bright, maybe experienced 25% darkening.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.