News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Eclipse Plans

Started by trdsf, August 10, 2017, 12:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Hello,

We’re writing to provide you with important safety information about the eclipse products you purchased on Amazon.

To protect your eyes when viewing the sun or an eclipse, NASA and the American Astronomical Society (AAS) advise you to use solar eclipse glasses or other solar filters from recommended manufacturers.  Viewing the sun or an eclipse using any other glasses or filters could result in loss of vision or permanent blindness. 

Amazon has not received confirmation from the supplier of your order that they sourced the item from a recommended manufacturer.  We recommend that you DO NOT use this product to view the sun or the eclipse.

Amazon is applying a balance for the purchase price to Your Account (please allow 7-10 days for this to appear on Your Account).  There is no need for you to return the product. You can view your available balance and activity here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/cs

For more information about safely viewing a solar eclipse please see the NASA and AAS websites.

If you purchased this item for someone else, please pass along this information to the recipient.

We hope to see you again soon.

Sincerely,
Customer Service
Amazon.com

chill98

Quote from: SGOS on August 12, 2017, 10:31:06 PM
Turns out the eclipse glasses I bought from Amazon are not certified safe ISO 12312-2.  Amazon advertised them as certified, but it turns out that many of them, perhaps most of the glasses sold by sub sellers do not carry the certification code, and Amazon is refunding the money and not requiring me or anyone else to return the glasses.

I still have questions about whether the glasses are safe to use, however, and I've read conflicting information in regards to that question also.  Not being certified only means they are not certified.  It appears with the overwhelming demand companies could manufacturer in time, but could not certify in time.  I guess there are mountains of government paperwork that have to b filed.

95% of the articles I've read, simply say, don't use the glasses because they aren't certified.  One article, which I believe was the Washington Post said, you still may be able to use them.  Put them on and if you can't see anything, except the sun itself, they are probably dark enough.  My glasses are like that, but every other article says you can't be sure if that's enough.

Do you know which seller?  I did not get an email from amazon regarding my purchase, but it was solar polymer sheet and my seller is listed on the link below as ok. 

https://eclipse.aas.org/resources/solar-filters

SGOS

Quote from: chill98 on August 13, 2017, 01:28:26 AM
Do you know which seller?  I did not get an email from amazon regarding my purchase, but it was solar polymer sheet and my seller is listed on the link below as ok. 

https://eclipse.aas.org/resources/solar-filters
If it's one on that list, which I've actually seen a number of times in my research, you're good.  I've seen print describing both solar polymer and Mylar as choice lens material.  Maybe they are the same thing.  My seller is no longer listed, but I'll look up my order and get back to you.

SGOS

Here's the listing on my order:

QuoteProfessional Solar Eclipse Glasses - CE and ISO Certified, Safe for Great American Total Solar Eclipse , Safe Sun Viewing, All Ages, One Size Fits All, August 21, 2017 (3 Pack - Plastic Set) 
Sold by:  SolarEclipseGlasses17
Note that they were listed as ISO Certified, but this was apparently the seller's description.  I gave the packaging and two of the three pairs to a friend, but we both searched the label and could see nothing about certification.  The actual manufacturer may or may not have been marked on the package, but I wasn't paying attention to that detail, because at the time, this non-certified issue hadn't come up.

Next time I see my friends, I'll look for the manufacturer info and post it here.  Look for ISO 12312-2 on your stuff.  The seller is not as important as the manufacturer.  However, if you weren't emailed by amazon, and your manufacturer is on that list, I'd be confident about what you bought.

I have a hunch my glasses, uncertified as they are, are still safe.  Will I actually use them now?  I haven't decided.  I've looked at the sun with them, and what I saw was exactly the description of what you are supposed to see with approved glasses.  But I'm also thinking of going the pin hole box instead. 

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 12, 2017, 08:04:20 PM
Mom asks if the school can reschedule the eclipse:

1st, schools in the path are going to totally ignore an event like that.

2nd, she would need a guide to point out the sun.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

chill98

Quote from: SGOS on August 13, 2017, 02:27:39 AM
Next time I see my friends, I'll look for the manufacturer info and post it here.  Look for ISO 12312-2 on your stuff.  The seller is not as important as the manufacturer.  However, if you weren't emailed by amazon, and your manufacturer is on that list, I'd be confident about what you bought.

I will have to contact the friend we are visiting, they picked up glasses for us, to see if they got took.  I have a #12 welder glass (should be #14 but couldnt find one locally). 

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 13, 2017, 06:52:43 AM
1st, schools in the path are going to totally ignore an event like that.

2nd, she would need a guide to point out the sun.
As I read her question, I couldn't determine whether she was asking for the eclipse to be rescheduled or just the eclipse party.  If it was the eclipse, she would be dumb.  If it was the party, she would just be missing the point.

aitm

I am hoping that schools, even though this is a "sciency" moment will for the most part ignore it. I really don't know if staring at it without special glasses will "really" blind you, but why would we take the chance. This is a rare moment, but I fear more people try to turn this into some special cosmic/human relation. Meh.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

I don't think schools will ignore it, but taking 30 kids outside to look at the sun, even with the glasses poses a risk.  Kids do some stupid things.  If you tell them not to look directly at the sun without the glasses, there are going to be a few that will do the opposite just to see what happens.

Cavebear

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

This morning I received and email from the seller where I got my glasses, who is denying all product fault attributed to Amazon accusations.  It also included links to certain documentations supporting their position.   I haven't followed them up.  I just got up.  They also deny that Amazon made any attempt to contact them.  They finish their letter with, "Daystar brand ULF Solar Filters bought through Amazon by ICSTARS are SAFE."

Do I know what's happened here?  No, but I'll bet a competitor with NASA certified glasses started a fear rumor to get Amazon to help them shut down the competition.  Why does NASA have to certify consumer products?  They don't.  They are a Space Agency.  They are not a consumer protection agency.  NASA has less power to enforce regulations than the EPA or the Food and Drug Administration.  And there is no legal reason to add a NASA endorsement to a product label.  Something smells very fishy about the whole thing.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: aitm on August 13, 2017, 04:39:08 PM
I am hoping that schools, even though this is a "sciency" moment will for the most part ignore it. I really don't know if staring at it without special glasses will "really" blind you, but why would we take the chance. This is a rare moment, but I fear more people try to turn this into some special cosmic/human relation. Meh.
Why do welders were protective lens? To prevent retinal burns. Same-same staring at the Sun. Sheesh.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

AllPurposeAtheist

I'm at ground zero for the end of the world. It's passing directly above us here in Columbia. Sylvia got a bunch of 'eclipse glasses' and I have my welding shield, but I have a hunch it's going to be cloudy on the 21st. That's not a big deal to me and in some ways I almost hope it's just rain all day for the dipshits who are spending untold amounts of money to impress friends to book hotel rooms for 'eclipse parties ' and so on.. 
The last eclipse I observed I knew several people who got damage to their eyes staring directly at it despite being told to not do it. A quick glimpse won't hurt most people ,but most people are stupid enough to stare until they're blind. Never underestimate the stupidity of the American people.

Folks, if you don't have the right glasses go to harbor freight and get a nice dark welding shield dirt cheap. https://m.harborfreight.com/2-piece-welding-goggles-set-35711.html
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on August 14, 2017, 08:38:57 AM
I'm at ground zero for the end of the world. It's passing directly above us here in Columbia. Sylvia got a bunch of 'eclipse glasses' and I have my welding shield, but I have a hunch it's going to be cloudy on the 21st. That's not a big deal to me and in some ways I almost hope it's just rain all day for the dipshits who are spending untold amounts of money to impress friends to book hotel rooms for 'eclipse parties ' and so on.. 
The last eclipse I observed I knew several people who got damage to their eyes staring directly at it despite being told to not do it. A quick glimpse won't hurt most people ,but most people are stupid enough to stare until they're blind. Never underestimate the stupidity of the American people.
ftfy
PZ Myers

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on August 12, 2017, 10:31:06 PM
And cheap certified glasses previously available have disappeared in the great corporate 2017 eclipse  money grab.  Yay, America!
Actually, Walmart and Lowe's have both laid in huge stocks; to the best of my knowledge, they are still available, and they are the ISO 12312-2 certified ones.  I laid in a stash for my cow-orkers, who will have to experience partiality rather than totality, and a couple pairs for myself so I could cannibalize one into being solar filters for my digital camera.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan