News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Eclipse Plans

Started by trdsf, August 10, 2017, 12:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on August 17, 2017, 06:06:28 AM
A good reason to visit Walmart.  If I get two, I could cover my camera lens with one and maybe get a decent picture and the other to look at it myself.
Don't do that.  I don't know why.  I just read a thing on the Internet that said don't do that, but no explanation was given.  I'm still trying to figure out why.

SGOS

I made motel reservations in a second location.  After watching long range forecasts, my plan B might be a better place to view from.  I won't decide until the day before the eclipse.  I have limited experience to base this on, but all those motels that filled up three months ago, are now showing vacancies again.  People are changing their plans I guess.  However, this will be by far, the most expensive motel reservation I've ever made.

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on August 17, 2017, 07:40:35 AM
Don't do that.  I don't know why.  I just read a thing on the Internet that said don't do that, but no explanation was given.  I'm still trying to figure out why.
Can't imagine why -- the ones at Walmart are the correct ones.  I mean, there are plenty of reasons to not shop at Walmart, but eclipse glasses are not among them.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on August 17, 2017, 08:25:38 AM
Can't imagine why -- the ones at Walmart are the correct ones.  I mean, there are plenty of reasons to not shop at Walmart, but eclipse glasses are not among them.

I don't plan to look at the sun with ANYTHING.  But I read about a way to use a camera to take a picture using a solar filter and a tripod...  I may try THAT!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on August 17, 2017, 08:43:11 AM
I don't plan to look at the sun with ANYTHING.  But I read about a way to use a camera to take a picture using a solar filter and a tripod...  I may try THAT!
I actually bought a special filter for my camera made out of cardboard and what I assume is the same material used in the glasses.  I haven't tried it out, and I'm not sure I will use it.  I don't want to be fiddling with technology during the 2 minutes of totality.  I think I'd like to just sit back and enjoy it.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on August 17, 2017, 08:47:26 AM
I actually bought a special filter for my camera made out of cardboard and what I assume is the same material used in the glasses.  I haven't tried it out, and I'm not sure I will use it.  I don't want to be fiddling with technology during the 2 minutes of totality.  I think I'd like to just sit back and enjoy it.

Indeed, it will be partial here.  I experienced that once in the 80s.  This time I really plan to just set the camera on a timer and mostly watch how the backyard wildlife reacts.  *I* know what an eclipse is, they don't.

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on August 17, 2017, 08:47:26 AM
They usually say that the best way to photograph an eclipse is to wait for your second one and just kick back and enjoy the first one.  Totality will be two and a half minutes or less, depending on where you are (we'll be getting about two).

I shall not be heeding that advice.  I've got the biggest glass I can carry and will be happily snapping away with three cameras -- although one of them will be 'set it and forget it' and recording video of the entire event.  I'm *hoping* to get video of the actual shadow making its way across the ground as it comes in from the northwest.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mike Cl

I'm doing it the lazy man way.  I won't even be outside for the thing.  I'll simply watch the best of the internet and TV pics and videos.  Easy-peasy. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 17, 2017, 09:33:16 AM
I'm doing it the lazy man way.  I won't even be outside for the thing.  I'll simply watch the best of the internet and TV pics and videos.  Easy-peasy.

I'll do that afterwards.  It will be good to see to at least some effect outside.  The birds act funny.

SGOS

Quote from: trdsf on August 17, 2017, 08:25:38 AM
I was referring to using glasses to take pictures through.  What I read was that you should use an actual camera filter, but I will confess, I shop at Walmart all the time, especially for groceries.  I usually save 20%, and their generic brand, "Great Value" is excellent most of the time, although some Great Value items can be substandard IMO, and I avoid those.

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on August 17, 2017, 10:23:32 AM
I was referring to using glasses to take pictures through.  What I read was that you should use an actual camera filter...
I've used eclipse glasses to do solar photography; they work acceptably well with film, but digital sensors are too sensitive and require additional filtering.  At least in my experience.  I made filters for my Sanyo and Sony and met with limited success.  I'm reserving the Nikon for totality and trying to catch the corona, and with any kind of luck some gravitational light bending that I can verify with a shot later in the year of the same patch of sky, absent the sun -- the sun will be close to Regulus, which is quite a bright star.

Sorginak

I think I viewed an eclipse once when I was in elementary school and as a class we created those funky looking contraptions to use in viewing it safely.  I do not recall the experience that clearly, and I have  had no interest in viewing an eclipse since then.

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on August 17, 2017, 11:27:43 AM
I've used eclipse glasses to do solar photography; they work acceptably well with film, but digital sensors are too sensitive and require additional filtering.  At least in my experience.  I made filters for my Sanyo and Sony and met with limited success.  I'm reserving the Nikon for totality and trying to catch the corona, and with any kind of luck some gravitational light bending that I can verify with a shot later in the year of the same patch of sky, absent the sun -- the sun will be close to Regulus, which is quite a bright star.

When I took Astronomy 101, the instructer set up a small telescope that shone the sun on a piece of paper.  We saw SUNSPOTS!  That what I would like to try to do for the eclipse.

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on August 17, 2017, 11:44:03 AM
When I took Astronomy 101, the instructer set up a small telescope that shone the sun on a piece of paper.  We saw SUNSPOTS!  That what I would like to try to do for the eclipse.
I did that with my reflector for the annular eclipse of 1994, projecting the image on a sheet of white cardstock.  And then moving the cardstock to the focal point and quite rapidly burning a hole in it.

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on August 17, 2017, 01:22:32 PM
I did that with my reflector for the annular eclipse of 1994, projecting the image on a sheet of white cardstock.  And then moving the cardstock to the focal point and quite rapidly burning a hole in it.

LOL on burning a hole in the cardstock.  I think the astronomy teacher had some painted aluminum plate thing.  Well, it didn't burn.

And he had the telescope (what I realize just now must have had a rotational adjustment device) about 8 geet long and maybe 8" lens?

It was a big lecture hall class.  About 200 students.  There were 2 tests the whole class.  The results were posted outside his office each time.  I was the only one to score 100 on both.  If further study hadn't required serious physics math, I would be an astronomer talking to you now. 

Instead, I'm a political science major and history minor with a government program analyst career happily behind me.  No maths...  LOL!