News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

RIP Godzilla

Started by trdsf, August 08, 2017, 10:22:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Haruo Nakajima, who wore the rubber suit in 12 Toho Godzilla movies, and also played Mothra, Rodan, and even King Kong.

I'm going to build a tiny city and stomp on it when I get home in memory.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: trdsf on August 08, 2017, 10:22:20 AM
Haruo Nakajima, who wore the rubber suit in 12 Toho Godzilla movies, and also played Mothra, Rodan, and even King Kong.

I'm going to build a tiny city and stomp on it when I get home in memory.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

You can see the thin mesh for him to breathe through in that picture. It shows up quite plainly in several of the movies.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

One must admire an actor who does well.

Suits or not.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on August 09, 2017, 05:11:29 AM
One must admire an actor who does well.

Suits or not.
He was short, even for a Japanese, and that got him the job. Smaller suit needed, and the "city" could be made from smaller building to emphasize his "monstrous" height. (Smaller buildings need less detail and show fewer errors.) They never mentioned Gojira's height in the original movie, but "Godzilla: King of Monsters" cites him as 400 feet tall.

The suit could gain twenty pounds of sweat during a day's shooting.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 09, 2017, 03:49:42 PM
He was short, even for a Japanese, and that got him the job. Smaller suit needed, and the "city" could be made from smaller building to emphasize his "monstrous" height. (Smaller buildings need less detail and show fewer errors.) They never mentioned Gojira's height in the original movie, but "Godzilla: King of Monsters" cites him as 400 feet tall.

Yeah, the smaller the bigger!

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

Here lies Les Moore,
Four slugs from a .44.
No Les, no Moore.
PZ Myers

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Cavebear on August 09, 2017, 03:50:46 PM
Yeah, the smaller the bigger!
Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 09, 2017, 03:49:42 PM

I read somewhere that the suit in the first movie weighed 100 kilos and was partially constructed of concrete.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Gawdzilla Sama

Foam rubber. Soaked up sweat and got very heavy.
PZ Myers

trdsf

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on August 11, 2017, 07:36:41 AM
I read somewhere that the suit in the first movie weighed 100 kilos and was partially constructed of concrete.
Apparently the original suit for the very first movie was partially constructed from concrete -- that was in the BBC report I linked to, I think.

I have to say, watch the original movie in its original form, not the one that got Raymond Burr dubbed into it. It's not just a rubber monster suit movie; the director Honda Ishirō was a longtime collaborator with and AD for Kurosawa Akira.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: trdsf on August 11, 2017, 08:59:07 AM
Apparently the original suit for the very first movie was partially constructed from concrete -- that was in the BBC report I linked to, I think.

I have to say, watch the original movie in its original form, not the one that got Raymond Burr dubbed into it. It's not just a rubber monster suit movie; the director Honda Ishirō was a longtime collaborator with and AD for Kurosawa Akira.
I watched both Sunday.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 11, 2017, 09:24:28 AM
I watched both Sunday.

I understand much of the reason that Godzilla was popular in Japan.  He represented the atomic bombings.  Horrible and no one quite understood the consequences.  I had an aunt from there who eventually died of the radiation.

But the aftermovies never quite made any sense...

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on August 12, 2017, 06:19:31 AM
I understand much of the reason that Godzilla was popular in Japan.  He represented the atomic bombings.  Horrible and no one quite understood the consequences.  I had an aunt from there who eventually died of the radiation.

But the aftermovies never quite made any sense...
A friend said the movie reminded them what happens when you start a war. He was in the minority on this, of course.

As for victims, while I was there in 1983 they added a lady's name to the list of deaths. She was there. She died in an auto accident. Seems like "milking it" to me.
PZ Myers