News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Did You Ever Win a Bowling Trophy?

Started by SGOS, August 08, 2017, 07:44:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 04, 2017, 07:14:24 PM
I hated guys like you and your dad!  Why??  Because you were a danger to my life and limb!!!  At least in HS--set pins at a bowling alley before the time of automatic pin setters.  Some of the guys like you would send those damned pins flying 3--4 lanes away.  One could never allow themselves to become comfortable back there.
In my defense, I never caused a pin to exit its lane.  I have knocked them out past where the automatic sweeper could reach, though.

I remember one guy in my college who threw even harder.  It always looked like an explosion when the ball hit the pins; I once saw him make a strike from the 3-6 pocket, he got that much mixmaster action.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mike Cl

Quote from: trdsf on September 05, 2017, 09:21:15 AM
In my defense, I never caused a pin to exit its lane.  I have knocked them out past where the automatic sweeper could reach, though.

I remember one guy in my college who threw even harder.  It always looked like an explosion when the ball hit the pins; I once saw him make a strike from the 3-6 pocket, he got that much mixmaster action.
In the alley I worked--only 6 lanes--there was about 10ft. between the place on the lane where the pins sat and the back wall of the alley.  there was a little ledge that the setters sat on when not picking up pins.  Each guy handled 2 lanes.  There was a divider that extended to the back wall from the end of the lane to the back wall, with a door-like opening in each one so the sitters could get to each lane quickly.  When the ball was delivered we sat on that ledge with our feet up on the end of the machine that put the pins down where they belonged.  We hoped that the pins would stay on the floor--not fly all around.  But every night a pin from lane one would end up in lane 3 or 4.  Not unusual to have leg bruises--shins hurt a bunch when the pin found them.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 05, 2017, 10:18:14 AM
In the alley I worked--only 6 lanes--there was about 10ft. between the place on the lane where the pins sat and the back wall of the alley.  there was a little ledge that the setters sat on when not picking up pins.  Each guy handled 2 lanes.  There was a divider that extended to the back wall from the end of the lane to the back wall, with a door-like opening in each one so the sitters could get to each lane quickly.  When the ball was delivered we sat on that ledge with our feet up on the end of the machine that put the pins down where they belonged.  We hoped that the pins would stay on the floor--not fly all around.  But every night a pin from lane one would end up in lane 3 or 4.  Not unusual to have leg bruises--shins hurt a bunch when the pin found them.

I used to bowl often.  But never where the pins wern't set automatically.  And I am a straight bowler.  Fr om far right side into the 1-3 pins...  I couldn't hold a ball for a curve if it weighed only 5 pounds...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!