News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Did You Ever Win a Bowling Trophy?

Started by SGOS, August 08, 2017, 07:44:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: aitm on August 31, 2017, 08:39:37 AM
I enjoy bowling. Don't do it much at all. Both the wife and I were on a league years ago and it was fun, but 32 weeks was too long. I tried to get  them to do 16 weeks and they said no, so it was just too much. But all this talk about it made me tell the wife we are going bowling this weekend. She is excited. Imagine...getting excited about bowling? Life much? meh.
For all the jokes made about bowling, and I make them too, it is fun to go bowling, just as it's fun to make jokes about it.  I haven't bowled for years, but I have been thinking about it.  There's a new Cineplex I frequent that also features a restaurant, arcade, and bowling lanes, which are mostly empty in the afternoons.  I even asked the attendant what it costs.  It's affordable, as long as you don't get carried away.  I can't remember what she told me it cost, but it's no longer 35 cents a line.

The one thing about the new lanes is that there are huge TV screens that cover maybe three lanes each playing ads and that sports bar shit that's just a mishmash of something that looks like live TV at first.  The screens are huge and right above the pins at the end of the lane, and when they flip to something during the break in the action, to some guys on a panel talking about Jake Parnell's pitching problems of late, there are  graphics like exploding stars, and panels that zoom to take over the screen and have to flip and twist and reverse themselves to be readable.  I don't know if I could concentrate on sending the ball down the lane.  People don't seem to be bothered by it, but they have to shave 30 points off of every line you bowl.

It's like the new society's obsession to be continually distracted by extraneous irrelevance:  "Excuse me, I have to get this call on my cell phone.  There!  Now what were you saying about your mother dying this morning?  Oh wait just a minute, I have another call."

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on August 31, 2017, 09:14:19 AM
For all the jokes made about bowling, and I make them too, it is fun to go bowling, just as it's fun to make jokes about it.  I haven't bowled for years, but I have been thinking about it.  There's a new Cineplex I frequent that also features a restaurant, arcade, and bowling lanes, which are mostly empty in the afternoons.  I even asked the attendant what it costs.  It's affordable, as long as you don't get carried away.  I can't remember what she told me it cost, but it's no longer 35 cents a line.

The one thing about the new lanes is that there are huge TV screens that cover maybe three lanes each playing ads and that sports bar shit that's just a mishmash of something that looks like live TV at first.  The screens are huge and right above the pins at the end of the lane, and when they flip to something during the break in the action, to some guys on a panel talking about Jake Parnell's pitching problems of late, there are  graphics like exploding stars, and panels that zoom to take over the screen and have to flip and twist and reverse themselves to be readable.  I don't know if I could concentrate on sending the ball down the lane.  People don't seem to be bothered by it, but they have to shave 30 points off of every line you bowl.

It's like the new society's obsession to be continually distracted by extraneous irrelevance:  "Excuse me, I have to get this call on my cell phone.  There!  Now what were you saying about your mother dying this morning?  Oh wait just a minute, I have another call."

You stand, toss the ball. and ignore the distractions.  And you know what, I just checked the local lanes.  They offer cheap bowling Sundays, and my knee feels about normal.  I have shoes and a 15 pound ball fitted to me and I want to bowl again!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Cavebear on August 09, 2017, 03:06:45 AM
I love hearing about "first jobs"!  I mowed lawns and pumped gas.  SO boring.

It was either making candy in a factory... (Willy Wonka fucking lied.)
Or clearing out frozen food from trucks and placing them on pallets.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on August 31, 2017, 10:05:44 AM
It was either making candy in a factory... (Willy Wonka fucking lied.)
Or clearing out frozen food from trucks and placing them on pallets.

Somehow, shoveling dead things from a truck weren't in the classifieds.  I did however spend a Summer throwing tires off trucks (rolling them overhand to move across the warehouse) and I didn't know THAT from the classifieds either.  I got fired released because the unemployed high school varsity football players were WAY better at it.

trdsf

Wow, I think it's been nearly 20 years since I last bowled.  I was never much good at it.  130 was a good game for me, and as I recall, my best ever was a 194.  Now, on Wii Bowling, I think my record is 279.  But that's not the same.

I recall my mom, dad, my uncle (dad's younger brother) and a friend of his joining a mixed league.  They called their team "Three Balls and a Bag"...
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on August 31, 2017, 12:54:37 PM
Wow, I think it's been nearly 20 years since I last bowled.  I was never much good at it.  130 was a good game for me, and as I recall, my best ever was a 194.  Now, on Wii Bowling, I think my record is 279.  But that's not the same.

I recall my mom, dad, my uncle (dad's younger brother) and a friend of his joining a mixed league.  They called their team "Three Balls and a Bag"...

I had two 200+ games but was a steady 170 straight bowler good as the anchor to get the spare. 

SGOS

Quote from: trdsf on August 31, 2017, 12:54:37 PM
I played intramural basketball in college.  Some of the teams had clever names.  One team was Athletes Anonymous, but my favorite team name was The Bay of Pigs, which required that you weigh at least 200 lbs just to make the team, and boasted that it always had over a half ton on the floor at any given moment.  Not as clever was the Fresh Five, but it was the team that ended the season with by far the most wins.  They were a well balanced team, winning games with no individual that ever had his name posted on the next day's high scorer list.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on August 31, 2017, 04:45:39 PM
I played intramural basketball in college.  Some of the teams had clever names.  One team was Athletes Anonymous, but my favorite team name was The Bay of Pigs, which required that you weigh at least 200 lbs just to make the team, and boasted that it always had over a half ton on the floor at any given moment.  Not as clever was the Fresh Five, but it was the team that ended the season with by far the most wins.  They were a well balanced team, winning games with no individual that ever had his name posted on the next day's high scorer list.

I love The Fresh Five name.  Sounds like young superheroes...  LOL!

Unbeliever

I haven't bowled in decades - but when I did, I had a mean hook!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 31, 2017, 05:43:27 PM

What did you do to Tinkerbell this time?!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 31, 2017, 09:29:57 PM
What did you to to Tinkerbell this time?!

Sprinkled her dust over my draft beer.  Do you do anything other than make bad jokes?

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Cavebear on September 04, 2017, 12:18:46 AM
Sprinkled her dust over my draft beer.  Do you do anything other than make bad jokes?

Come now, Cavebear.
Bad jokes is 85% of the fun on a forum.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 31, 2017, 05:43:27 PM
I threw a hard rocket ball -- never had the time to curve.  Exactly the same as my dad.  It was the bowling equivalent of watching the Stadlers pere and fils on a golf course -- except they're much better golfers than Dad and I were bowlers, of course.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mike Cl

Quote from: trdsf on September 04, 2017, 07:02:27 PM
I threw a hard rocket ball -- never had the time to curve.  Exactly the same as my dad.  It was the bowling equivalent of watching the Stadlers pere and fils on a golf course -- except they're much better golfers than Dad and I were bowlers, of course.
I hated guys like you and your dad!  Why??  Because you were a danger to my life and limb!!!  At least in HS--set pins at a bowling alley before the time of automatic pin setters.  Some of the guys like you would send those damned pins flying 3--4 lanes away.  One could never allow themselves to become comfortable back there. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

aitm

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust