News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Greetings

Started by SciBorg, August 18, 2017, 03:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SciBorg

Hello,

I'm looking for a community of fellow heathens. I don't know many atheists in real life, so it would be cool to create some friends here. I'm hoping you're an entertaining bunch, and I'll do my best to contribute.

We are a way for the cosmos to know itself.

Sorginak

Unbeliever

Hi SciBorg!

If you've read any of the posts on here, you'll know that entertainment is definitely to be had - in spades!

We try to have fun, so I hope you can have a lot of that with us.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mike Cl

This is a dull and staid place---until you joined us, that is.  Welcome.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SciBorg

Thanks for the warm welcomes!

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 18, 2017, 04:41:24 PM
This is a dull and staid place---until you joined us, that is.  Welcome.

Haha, you're funny! Thanks.

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 18, 2017, 04:34:51 PM
Hi SciBorg!

If you've read any of the posts on here, you'll know that entertainment is definitely to be had - in spades!

We try to have fun, so I hope you can have a lot of that with us.

I appreciate that. I'm definitely looking forward to being apart of the community here.

Hopefully, there's a lot I can learn here and laughs to be had! 🍻

Unbeliever

Quote from: SciBorg on August 18, 2017, 04:58:04 PM
I'm definitely looking forward to being apart of the community here.

You've been apart of the community already - now you can be a part of the community!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

SciBorg

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 18, 2017, 05:01:24 PM
You've been apart of the community already - now you can be a part of the community!

Doh!

Very clever, sir !

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: SciBorg on August 18, 2017, 03:08:44 PM
Hello,

I'm looking for a community of fellow heathens. I don't know many atheists in real life, so it would be cool to create some friends here. I'm hoping you're an entertaining bunch, and I'll do my best to contribute.

So, how did you become an atheist?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SciBorg

Quote from: Cavebear on August 20, 2017, 03:14:45 AM
So, how did you become an atheist?

Hey, sorry to just be getting back to you. I've been on a road trip.

Anywho, I began generating questions about religion around fourteen.  As a young and curious contrarian, the story of Genesis didn't make reasonable sense. I couldn't accept both the seven days of creation and dinosaurs (I ventured to combine them later on, but there was no evidence). I was also confounded by the emergence of races since we all originated from Adam and Eve (and then again from Noah). The people I looked up to as experts at this time were either equally perplexed by these elementary questions, or they considered biblical stories that conflicted with reality to be metaphorical. Their lack of knowing was bizarre for being heavily grounded in belief.

That stimulated the thought that this was more of a need for them than an understanding.

I always read a lot. When was eighteen, I later stumbled upon Hitchens and Dawkins. And that's where the label atheist was stamped on the package.

Mr.Obvious

Welcome to our little band of heathens.

You'll fit right in
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

SGOS

Quote from: SciBorg on August 18, 2017, 03:08:44 PM
Hello,

You probably know more atheists than you think.  I would have said the same thing one time, but with more careful consideration and an occasional inquiry, I realized quite a lot of my friends, particularly my best friends were atheists, and I didn't know it.

I had a hard time coming to grips with my own atheism, something I didn't recognized in myself for years, so it's not surprising I didn't recognize it in people I knew.  I knew they had no reason to go to church, and they didn't say grace, and they never talked about the supernatural as if it were real.  But when I finally asked them about it, I would get different reactions.  Some would just say, "No, I don't believe in that," and that was pretty much the end of the discussion.  Unlike the people in this forum, their lack of belief in gods wasn't worth a smidgen of conversation.  It seemed also that they didn't want to bother being public about it. 

One very good friend, I asked outright if he believed in God.  He had this shocked reaction like, "You don't ask people a question like that!"  Then he confided that he thought the god question was irrelevant, which I think is a good viewpoint.  You can run up and down the street proclaiming your love and devotion to a deity, or you can simply never think about one.  It's irrelevant to the rest of your life no matter where you put yourself in the issue.  Bad shit happens, and good shit happens.  And it is all irrespective of whether you believe in God or not.

The fact is the universe acts pretty much as I would expect it to act if there were no wizard behind the curtain pulling the strings and switching the levers.  Insert a god if you must, but the Christmas tree is still just a tree, with or without the ornaments.