Marijuana company buys entire US town to create 'cannabis-friendly municipality'

Started by Unbeliever, August 04, 2017, 05:58:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/40824837/marijuana-company-buys-entire-us-town-to-create-cannabis-friendly-municipality

QuoteA company which makes cannabis products has bought an entire town in California and plans to turn it into a "destination" for marijuana.

American Green has agreed a deal to buy the town of Nipton for $5m (£3.8m).

The company will own 120 acres of land, which includes a school building, a hotel, mineral baths and a general store.

They also want to power the town with renewable energy.

This is fine by me - I want to move there and get a job as a Mary Jane tester.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

But it makes the idea of Brownies (pre-Girl Scouts) a bit ambiguous ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Mermaid

That's a really great business idea. I bet it will be enormously profitable for the local economy.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Mike Cl

Quote from: Mermaid on August 04, 2017, 07:48:15 PM
That's a really great business idea. I bet it will be enormously profitable for the local economy.
I'm sure--considering the local economy consists of a pop. of 20.:))  And right now it is hot as fucking blue blazes there--might as well be Death Valley (which is close).
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 04, 2017, 05:58:03 PMThey also want to power the town with renewable energy.
Going green in more ways that one, I see.  Good for them.  And more importantly, good for the surrounding community.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 04, 2017, 09:13:28 PM
Going green in more ways that one, I see.  Good for them.  And more importantly, good for the surrounding community.
What surrounding community??  Look this up on the map--I think isolated would be an apt word to use for it.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 04, 2017, 09:32:21 PM
What surrounding community??  Look this up on the map--I think isolated would be an apt word to use for it.
Maybe they'll grow one.  :P

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mike Cl

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

Kim Basinger bought a town.  I guess if you have more money than you know what to do with, why not buy a town?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braselton,_Georgia
QuoteThe town is named after Harrison Braselton, a poor dirt farmer who married Susan Hosch, the daughter of a rich plantation owner. Braselton built a home on 786 acres (318 ha) of land he purchased north of the Hosch Plantation. The land he purchased was later called Braselton.[6]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braselton,_Georgia
In 1989 actress and Georgia native Kim Basinger and other investors bought 1,751 acres (709 ha) of the town's 2,000 privately owned acres for $20 million from Braselton Brothers Inc, intending to turn it into a tourist destination.[7] Five years later, on the eve of personal bankruptcy, she and her partners sold the town at a large loss.

Munch

An entire town based on complete freedom for Marijuana usage and growing, might seem like a great idea, until you realize how fucking awful it would smell to live there.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin