News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Female Teacher Predators

Started by Drew_2017, August 03, 2017, 06:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Male High School teachers are called out on it more, but I know female younger teachers understand the attraction too.  I dated a few in my 30s and they always mentioned it (preferring older guys in response I think.

But ah Ms Williams my 11th grade English teacher...  Fortunately, she married the 12th grade English teacher, so that got resolved rather officially.  LOL!. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Drew_2017 on August 12, 2017, 02:46:48 PM
I called you out on your statement that there are real right and wrong moral actions nothing more. You responded by substituting your opinion as expected.
I know you were 'calling Hydra 'out''--where were you going to take him--to his favorite diner?  Anyway, there are real right and wrong actions.  But they are not handed down from above or spelled out in any religious text.  They are determined by whatever society one is referring to and they are called 'laws'.  None are forever or universal.  They evolve with each society. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 12, 2017, 03:41:35 PM
I know you were 'calling Hydra 'out''--where were you going to take him--to his favorite diner?  Anyway, there are real right and wrong actions.  But they are not handed down from above or spelled out in any religious text.  They are determined by whatever society one is referring to and they are called 'laws'.  None are forever or universal.  They evolve with each society.

Nice.  A point I try to get at sometimes.  Religious texts claim to PROSCRIBE civil ethics when, in fact, they REFLECT civil ethics that are already working for a town or culture.  IOW, religious texts describe what is already successful in a society, meaning that they are, at best, more a codification than a set of revelations.

And when a religion is merely codifying functional working practices, the whole theistic backup is merely an afterthought by organized societal leeches.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on August 12, 2017, 03:56:02 PM
Religious texts claim to PROSCRIBE civil ethics when, in fact, they REFLECT civil ethics that are already working for a town or culture.
I like that--great way to put it!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 12, 2017, 05:37:28 PM
I like that--great way to put it!

Thank you.  Its my best argument when I read that religion PROVIDES ethics.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on August 12, 2017, 05:41:10 PM
Thank you.  Its my best argument when I read that religion PROVIDES ethics.
Yeah, and I'll rip off the way you put it and use it too. :))

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 12, 2017, 05:46:27 PM
Yeah, and I'll rip off the way you put it and use it too. :))

Share and share alike.  Any good argument is worth spreading.

Drew_2017

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 12, 2017, 03:41:35 PM
.  They are determined by whatever society one is referring to and they are called 'laws'.  None are forever or universal.  They evolve with each society.

The Holocaust in Germany 'evolved' under Hitler was perfectly legal and was consummated by the man in power and much of the population (society) was in favor. Based on your premise there was nothing wrong with the final solution correct?
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Albert Einstein

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jex6k2uvf9aljrq/theism.rtf?dl=0

Baruch

Quote from: Drew_2017 on August 12, 2017, 11:03:43 PM
The Holocaust in Germany 'evolved' under Hitler was perfectly legal and was consummated by the man in power and much of the population (society) was in favor. Based on your premise there was nothing wrong with the final solution correct?

I think Mike is just being descriptive, not proscriptive.  Most people here have a problem with anything other than Libertinism.

And Germany's example is another instance of the law being blind and an ass.  A legal system on average reflects the culture it is in, see Sharia for instance.  Germany had problems ... and probably still does.  Not that American culture is anything to write home about.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Drew_2017 on August 12, 2017, 11:03:43 PM
At least you are right about one thing--Hitler's Germany did evolve it's own set of right and wrongs.  Those were codified.  Is the final solution 'wrong'?  Depends upon who you ask.  Ask Hitler and it was not only not wrong, but morally necessary.  If you ask me, not only is it 'wrong', it is horridly wrong and ethically wrong.  What about you?  Sparta said it was morally correct to bash a deformed babies head to kill it.  Morals are not static; are not given to us from above--they are grown by  societies.  Just because a particular society suggests a certain action is morally right or wrong, does not make it so in my eyes.  But it does in their eyes.  For you, where do morals come from.

Drew_2017

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 13, 2017, 12:41:51 AM
At least you are right about one thing--Hitler's Germany did evolve it's own set of right and wrongs.  Those were codified.  Is the final solution 'wrong'?  Depends upon who you ask.  Ask Hitler and it was not only not wrong, but morally necessary.  If you ask me, not only is it 'wrong', it is horridly wrong and ethically wrong.  What about you?  Sparta said it was morally correct to bash a deformed babies head to kill it.  Morals are not static; are not given to us from above--they are grown by  societies.  Just because a particular society suggests a certain action is morally right or wrong, does not make it so in my eyes.  But it does in their eyes.  For you, where do morals come from.

I'm pleased your response is consistent with the statement you made earlier. Some folks express your belief but then contradict themselves when it comes to something as horrific as the Holocaust. I assume (correct me if I'm wrong) when you say the Holocaust was wrong, you mean it would be wrong if you did it because it would violate your sense of morality but you acknowledge that the Nazi's have their own set of equally valid ethics therefore it would be wrong to intervene and stop the Nazi's from exterminating the Jews since they believed it was morally right and there are no real morally wrong or morally right actions.

However this underscores the problem with a system of ethics based on what folks individually or collectively think is right (or wrong) at anytime. It would be like attempting to navigate somewhere yet saying any direction picked is as equally good as any other. Fortunately I can't think of any place this system of ethics is practiced. As a society when we catch someone stealing, maiming, raping, practicing pedophilia we don't care if the person practicing such deeds thinks it wrong or not. The defense I didn't think there was anything wrong with raping that woman (it made me feel good) never works. Whether true or not (that they're real rights and wrongs) we act like they're are.

My moral values are derived from philosophical theism just as rights in the USA are derived...

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.â€"That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed...

Rather than ground ethics based on individual or collective opinion in a Creator we have an external source that is beyond mere opinion. In theism the universe was created intentionally for human existence therefore humanity is special and is warranted special sanctions. In the Gettysburg address Lincoln pontificated on this principal.

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

The argument against slavery is that it was an offense not just to fellow men, but to God our Creator therefore it didn't matter if in the south there was nothing wrong with slavery in their minds. Same holds true for the Nazi's. They were exterminating fellow men. At one time slavery was legal because the supreme court ruled that blacks were sub-human (just as the Jews were to Nazi's) therefore weren't entitled to equal protection. They erred in their ruling just as in my opinion they erred when ruling unborn children are sub-human and therefore legal to terminate. 

Albert Einstein

Mike Cl

Quote from: Drew_2017 on August 13, 2017, 04:07:11 PM

However this underscores the problem with a system of ethics based on what folks individually or collectively think is right (or wrong) at anytime. It would be like attempting to navigate somewhere yet saying any direction picked is as equally good as any other.
As in any other subject you remark about or bring up, you are simply wrong headed.  Whether or not you like it or approve of it, the society in which you live has a codified set of ethics--the written laws of the land.  You can disagree, and with a great deal of effort and usually time, you can get a part of those ethics amended.  And that body of law does not care what you think of it--all legal decisions are based on that set of laws.  And you have (as does everybody else) have a personal set of ethics that you have determined for yourself.  I would think your ethics do not 100% match the countries written law code. 

Trying to attach a universal ethical/moral code, delivered by a fictional 'creator' (all creators are fictional) does not work.  Slavery was defended and attacked by christians, using the same 'written word of god'.  So much for that.  The constitution suggested that all men were created equal.  Yet the system that was set up put that statement to the lie.  The only 'equal' part of society was the landed white male.  'Colored' people of both sexes, any female, and unlanded white males, were not 'equal'.  So much for creator endowed ethics.

Cavebear

No culture in history has been clean of cruelty to those unlike them.  Everyone sees ways to dislke everyone else.  Some cultures become ascendent and define "Proper".  Some fail and aren't for a while.

But we are all Homo Sapiens and capable of the same things. 

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on August 14, 2017, 01:00:33 AM

But we are all Homo Sapiens and capable of the same things. 
Sorry, I can't eat balut.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Drew_2017

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 13, 2017, 09:35:16 PM
As in any other subject you remark about or bring up, you are simply wrong headed.  Whether or not you like it or approve of it, the society in which you live has a codified set of ethics--the written laws of the land.  You can disagree, and with a great deal of effort and usually time, you can get a part of those ethics amended.  And that body of law does not care what you think of it--all legal decisions are based on that set of laws.  And you have (as does everybody else) have a personal set of ethics that you have determined for yourself.  I would think your ethics do not 100% match the countries written law code. 

Mike, according to your philosophy of ethics all ethics are equally valid and made up by people's opinion of what is right or wrong therefore the Holocaust though despicable was nonetheless ethical from your point of view because the Germans decided that Jews were sub-human and codified that belief. Yet you say my basis of ethics is wrong headed. From my philosophical point of view there are real rights and wrongs regardless of opinion. It wasn't only wrong for the Nazi's to exterminate the Jews it was an evil act . You condemn the act while approving of it. Whether you agree or not, if you live in the USA the very notion of our government is theistic-ally based.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.â€"That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed...

QuoteTrying to attach a universal ethical/moral code, delivered by a fictional 'creator' (all creators are fictional) does not work.

Its been working in the USA for over 200 years whether you like it or not. Regardless of the sincerity of your faith there is no Creator you don't know that to be true you just pretend its a fact.
Albert Einstein