News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Pew Poll on LGBT+ Acceptance Rates

Started by Shiranu, August 02, 2017, 10:12:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on August 02, 2017, 11:54:07 AM
Tu quoque much? Will it make Islam look any better?

None of those murders were done to please Allah.

BTW, the Sharia law (Islamic fiqh) does prescribe death to gays. And apostates. And those criticizing Islam and Muhammad.
All the mayhem is done is Allah's Name"  They are insane.  So are all theists.  Christians kill unbelievers, Hindus kill unbelievers, all theists kill unbelievers.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 05, 2017, 10:39:20 PM
Yeah, he does.  And it's great PR.  But every time he says something somewhat progressive, the tail end of that message is always that Vatican policies have not changed.  People who haven't read that last part are more thrilled than those who read it in its entirety.  Until I see substantive change, I consider it to only be PR.

He does seem pretty good at PR, even I brought into it, till I remembered ooooh wait, its still the catholic church.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 06, 2017, 04:05:10 AM
All the mayhem is done is Allah's Name"  They are insane.  So are all theists.  Christians kill unbelievers, Hindus kill unbelievers, all theists kill unbelievers.

Except for pacifist believers.  Atheists kill theists .. except for the pacifist atheists.  Are you pacifist?  You worked for the government ... so no pacifist.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Yeah, he does.  And it's great PR.  But every time he says something somewhat progressive, the tail end of that message is always that Vatican policies have not changed.  People who haven't read that last part are more thrilled than those who read it in its entirety.  Until I see substantive change, I consider it to only be PR.
It's the old "Bring the sinners into the fold.  Their money is a good as everyone else's."  But the eerie thing is that as tolerant as it sounds, it's still denies the sacred sacraments necessary to avoid an eternity of Hell fire.  The Pope sounds all cute and cuddly but as the single human on earth with the only direct line to God, he's not helping: "Welcome to the church.  We are glad to have you here.  But remember, you're still fucked, and we will remind you of that whenever we can."

This brings to mind the prominent image in my memory of Jerry Falwell describing how those outside the flock would suffer an agony beyond description, while that bizarre beatific smile on his face betrayed a creepy satisfaction of what his minion, the Lord Jesus, has in store for those who fail to meet Falwell's personal approval.

Blackleaf

Quote from: SGOS on August 06, 2017, 08:39:35 AM
It's the old "Bring the sinners into the fold.  Their money is a good as everyone else's."  But the eerie thing is that as tolerant as it sounds, it's still denies the sacred sacraments necessary to avoid an eternity of Hell fire.  The Pope sounds all cute and cuddly but as the single human on earth with the only direct line to God, he's not helping: "Welcome to the church.  We are glad to have you here.  But remember, you're still fucked, and we will remind you of that whenever we can."

This brings to mind the prominent image in my memory of Jerry Falwell describing how those outside the flock would suffer an agony beyond description, while that bizarre beatific smile on his face betrayed a creepy satisfaction of what his minion, the Lord Jesus, has in store for those who fail to meet Falwell's personal approval.

Christians may act like they're worried about unbelievers, but they're secretly hoping to see the world burn when they're proven right. What an irony it would be if at the end of it all, it was the Christians who failed the test.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

I've always sort of assumed that SOME christian idiot would take steps to bring us ALL to Judgement Day at some point.  How could they resist?  Trump might be the one...

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on August 06, 2017, 02:01:47 PM
I've always sort of assumed that SOME christian idiot would take steps to bring us ALL to Judgement Day at some point.  How could they resist?  Trump might be the one...
I don't know if Trump is a Christian or not, but he might bring about the end just to be a dick.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on August 06, 2017, 02:06:51 PM
I don't know if Trump is a Christian or not, but he might bring about the end just to be a dick.

Or even from shear stupidity...  Never underestimate stupidity.  It can bring you to where even meanness dare not tread.

Deidre32

Agree. And, it's further proof that religions are man made. How could a Pope change church doctrine when it was thought to be the "word of God?" That is why Catholics are angry, they are probably wondering how one man can change fundamental church beliefs. Maybe they'll realize that it's all bs and abandon it, instead of just thinking that this Pope is "wrong."
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi

Baruch

Quote from: Deidre32 on August 06, 2017, 03:44:38 PM
Agree. And, it's further proof that religions are man made. How could a Pope change church doctrine when it was thought to be the "word of God?" That is why Catholics are angry, they are probably wondering how one man can change fundamental church beliefs. Maybe they'll realize that it's all bs and abandon it, instead of just thinking that this Pope is "wrong."

Many American Catholics are irreligious for just that reason.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: SGOS on August 06, 2017, 02:06:51 PM

I'm pretty sure he is. Trump gets his "facts" from Faux News and Alex Jones, and his idiotic rhetoric reflects that perfectly. He's anti-immigration, against affordable healthcare, sees all Muslims as terrorists, blames Mexican illegal immigrants for economic problems and illegal drugs. He's exactly the sort of person to believe religious bullshit.
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 07, 2017, 12:24:27 AM
I'm pretty sure he is. Trump gets his "facts" from Faux News and Alex Jones, and his idiotic rhetoric reflects that perfectly. He's anti-immigration, against affordable healthcare, sees all Muslims as terrorists, blames Mexican illegal immigrants for economic problems and illegal drugs. He's exactly the sort of person to believe religious bullshit.

Went from low info voter to low info leader.  What could go wrong?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on August 07, 2017, 06:56:24 AM
Went from low info voter to low info leader.  What could go wrong?
I don't think I will ever wash away from my brain that endorsement of Trump, "He tells it like it is."  It's imprinted there like a ink smudge that will never go away.  It's just a smudge, without shape, form, or meaning.  God help me if it should surface at the moment of my death, ending my time on Earth with the final understanding that everything was just bullshit.

Blackleaf

Quote from: SGOS on August 07, 2017, 08:42:43 AM
I don't think I will ever wash away from my brain that endorsement of Trump, "He tells it like it is."  It's imprinted there like a ink smudge that will never go away.  It's just a smudge, without shape, form, or meaning.  God help me if it should surface at the moment of my death, ending my time on Earth with the final understanding that everything was just bullshit.

During the election, I kept hearing people say, "He's honest." I would reply, "It doesn't matter if he's honest if he's honestly stupid." But Trump voters are beyond that kind of logic. Although, now that he is in office, it's almost hilarious how stupidly honest he is. The White House staff would cover for him, giving the press this story, then he'd show up on live television, admit his fault as if it's no big deal, and throw his staff under the bus. He's his own worst enemy. Not that even hearing it from the horse's mouth is enough to convince his supporters.
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on August 07, 2017, 08:42:43 AM

"ending my time on Earth with the final understanding that everything was just bullshit" ... ditto.  No, I don't endorse Trump, because I am unable to endorse humanity.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.