News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Pew Poll on LGBT+ Acceptance Rates

Started by Shiranu, August 02, 2017, 10:12:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

http://www.pewforum.org/2017/07/26/political-and-social-views/pf_2017-06-26_muslimamericans-04new-06/

With roughly the same level of acceptance of the LGBT+ community as Protestants and Baby Bomers and Older at 52%, American Muslims fall pretty much right on the norm for religious American's tolerance of the community. Mainline Protestants and Catholics are the only two Christian sects more accepting of them, with Catholics being a surprising 66% approval. Less Surprising, unaffiliated with a church poll in at an 80% acceptance rate.

Age wise, there is a 20 point spread between millennials (74%) and Baby Boomers and Older (54%), and for Muslims (and I would assume the general population as well) a large spread between college educated (63%) and some or none higher education (48%).

Europe may be different, but all the numbers have been consistent; Muslims in the United States are not a threat (that distinction goes to American Evangelicals who actually have numbers and socio-political power) and Millennials are much more tolerant and civilized than their predecessors (on average).
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Atheon

But but but Focks News and Brightblart tell me ALL Mooslims are auntie-ghey and want to throw gheys off rooves!
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

pr126

Atheon

Charles Manson, Ted Bundy and Jeffery Dahmer brutally murdered multiple people.

Well look at that... they're all white, male and American.

Let's ban ALL white American men!!!! Because we all know, if a handful of members of a group are heinous criminals, then ALL members of that group are heinous criminals.

(Clue: Hillary Clinton was laughing at the lameness of Trump's fallacious and bigoted argument.)
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

pr126

Tu quoque much? Will it make Islam look any better?

None of those murders were done to please Allah.

BTW, the Sharia law (Islamic fiqh) does prescribe death to gays. And apostates. And those criticizing Islam and Muhammad.

Blackleaf

I'm surprised the numbers are that high considering how many still believe that death is a justifiable punishment for apostates, but they're still playing catch up to the non-religious.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Deidre32

I've read that Pope Francis believes Catholics should apologize to the LGBT community which I thought was pretty refreshing. I still think the RCC is BS, but the new pope seems to show more compassion than his peers.
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi

Baruch

Quote from: Atheon on August 02, 2017, 10:58:16 AM
But but but Focks News and Brightblart tell me ALL Mooslims are auntie-ghey and want to throw gheys off rooves!

Convert, Infidel ... or they will throw you off a roof, if they are in power.  So would the Pope, if he had power.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Atheon on August 02, 2017, 11:35:49 AM
Charles Manson, Ted Bundy and Jeffery Dahmer brutally murdered multiple people.

Well look at that... they're all white, male and American.

Let's ban ALL white American men!!!! Because we all know, if a handful of members of a group are heinous criminals, then ALL members of that group are heinous criminals.

(Clue: Hillary Clinton was laughing at the lameness of Trump's fallacious and bigoted argument.)

You may think that is satire, but SJWs don't.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Deidre32

Not sure I believe a lot of these types of studies because if the pope and the church are so welcoming, why won't they marry gay couples in their churches? Why do they still suggest that if people are living in sin (any type of sexual relationship outside of a marriage between a man and woman) they should avoid communion? Etc etc etc ...

What I take from this is that maybe most people think these religious ideas are stupid and don't follow them. That's usually how it all begins...one's path out of religion. ;-)

Blackleaf

Quote from: Deidre32 on August 02, 2017, 02:25:56 PM
Not sure I believe a lot of these types of studies because if the pope and the church are so welcoming, why won't they marry gay couples in their churches? Why do they still suggest that if people are living in sin (any type of sexual relationship outside of a marriage between a man and woman) they should avoid communion? Etc etc etc ...

What I take from this is that maybe most people think these religious ideas are stupid and don't follow them. That's usually how it all begins...one's path out of religion. ;-)

It's also possible that those studied felt social pressure to respond a certain way. They don't want the researchers to think badly of them. Ideally, participants will always respond honestly, but that doesn't always happen, especially when it comes to sensitive topics.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Deidre32

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 02, 2017, 02:36:45 PM
It's also possible that those studied felt social pressure to respond a certain way. They don't want the researchers to think badly of them. Ideally, participants will always respond honestly, but that doesn't always happen, especially when it comes to sensitive topics.

So true!

Baruch

It is a fundamental position of Catholic theology, and a weakness, that they can never admit to being wrong.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on August 02, 2017, 07:19:21 PM
It is a fundamental position of Catholic theology, and a weakness, that they can never admit to being wrong.

Well, that goes for pretty much any devout religious person. Its only people with an open mind that questions their own teachings
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

Quote from: Deidre32 on August 02, 2017, 12:46:18 PM
I've read that Pope Francis believes Catholics should apologize to the LGBT community which I thought was pretty refreshing. I still think the RCC is BS, but the new pope seems to show more compassion than his peers.
Yeah, he does.  And it's great PR.  But every time he says something somewhat progressive, the tail end of that message is always that Vatican policies have not changed.  People who haven't read that last part are more thrilled than those who read it in its entirety.  Until I see substantive change, I consider it to only be PR.