Nietzsche -- on the value of suffering and difficulty

Started by Deidre32, July 31, 2017, 10:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 09, 2017, 11:47:10 AM
Yeah, but the Sartre character that could have wet dreams on command I found quite interesting.

I must have been given the abridged book...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on August 09, 2017, 01:52:59 PM
I must have been given the abridged book...
Now that I think of it, it could have been Camus I was thinking of.  The novel was set in WWII, with the French resistance, I think.  One of the soldiers was talking about having wet dreams on command--that's why he liked naps.  I has been a long long time ago that I read it.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 09, 2017, 07:30:06 PM
Now that I think of it, it could have been Camus I was thinking of.  The novel was set in WWII, with the French resistance, I think.  One of the soldiers was talking about having wet dreams on command--that's why he liked naps.  I has been a long long time ago that I read it.

My philosophy 101 lecturer claimed that Aquinas proved there was a god, and if you disagreed with him, you filed the course.  I managed a C by regurgurating enough on the exams to satisfy his religious ideas.  I couldn't do what he REALLY wanted which was total agreement.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 12, 2017, 06:41:30 AM
My philosophy 101 lecturer claimed that Aquinas proved there was a god, and if you disagreed with him, you filed the course.  I managed a C by regurgurating enough on the exams to satisfy his religious ideas.  I couldn't do what he REALLY wanted which was total agreement.

Humanities professors are like that ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 09, 2017, 01:08:55 PM
You actually got thru Being & Nothingness (by Sartre)?  Incredible!

No, actually I read the Cliff's Notes and could tell neither of them had anything to say I agreed with.  Saved me a lot of screaming out loud at people who were no longer around to yell at. 

And, interestingly, I searched for "what famous philosopher would I agree with"  http://www.selectsmart.com/FREE/select.php?client=PhilosophyGuys.  Took the quiz.  I vaguely thought it would be Hume, but it turned out to be Kant 100% (Hume was 2nd at 75%).  For any interested parties, 3rd, 4th, and 5th were Aristotle, Augustine, and Aquinus, but those were all below 50%.  Plato scored 0%!

I'll have to re-read Kant to see if the quiz makes sense.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 26, 2017, 02:56:05 PM
You Kant do that!

Seriously take the quiz.  It was very good and informative.  Why not, are you a Jesuit?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 26, 2017, 05:09:56 PM
Seriously take the quiz.  It was very good and informative.  Why not, are you a Jesuit?

Choose Your Philosopher
Really?  Kept every item as middle priority.  I disagreed with every item (as phrased) except ...

18. Ideally Man should be connected to his craft; I agreed

I scored Marx as #1 ... then ...
Descartes, Aristotle, Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Plato, Hume and Sartre.  Marx = 100%, Hume and Sartre = 50%, others in between.  But Hegel took the bottom at 0%.  So you are going to have to give more details, for me to compare.  My per-assessment guess was Nietzsche.  The relative placement of Kierkegaard vs Sartre made sense, because Kierkegaard is a theist existentialist, and Sartre is an atheist existentialist.  High marks for Descartes and Aristotle are not a surprise.  Relatively low for Plato and Hume are not a surprise, Plato is too much of an authoritarian, and Hume too much of a skeptic.  Shame Etienne wasn't around to see this ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 26, 2017, 07:03:02 PM
Choose Your Philosopher
Really?  Kept every item as middle priority.  I disagreed with every item (as phrased) except ...

18. Ideally Man should be connected to his craft; I agreed

I scored Marx as #1 ... then ...
Descartes, Aristotle, Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Plato, Hume and Sartre.  Marx = 100%, Hume and Sartre = 50%, others in between.  But Hegel took the bottom at 0%.  So you are going to have to give more details, for me to compare.  My per-assessment guess was Nietzsche.  The relative placement of Kierkegaard vs Sartre made sense, because Kierkegaard is a theist existentialist, and Sartre is an atheist existentialist.  High marks for Descartes and Aristotle are not a surprise.  Relatively low for Plato and Hume are not a surprise, Plato is too much of an authoritarian, and Hume too much of a skeptic.  Shame Etienne wasn't around to see this ;-)

All as middle priority?  Well, that too is a choice...  You commie, LOL!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 26, 2017, 07:14:53 PM
All as middle priority?  Well, that too is a choice...  You commie, LOL!

Yeah, so I am a rational, organic, existentialist ... with theistic reservations about the condition of present society.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 26, 2017, 07:21:59 PM
Yeah, so I am a rational, organic, existentialist ... with theistic reservations about the condition of present society.

You played the quiz to get a result.  You can't be Hume and Sartre.  And mostly, you can't be theist and Marxist.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 31, 2017, 03:40:36 AM
You played the quiz to get a result.  You can't be Hume and Sartre.  And mostly, you can't be theist and Marxist.

Or maybe, Hamlet, you have gotten too comfortable being bound up in your nut shell?  You scored very high as rationalist ... but as I recall, from Pilgrim's Progress, the rationalist is a sad figure from early in the pilgrimage ... bound up in a cage built from his own logic.

No, didn't play it at all.  That is exactly how it came out.  Of course maybe as you surmised, the test is weird.  I have never been a Marxist.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

Quote from: Cavebear on August 26, 2017, 12:30:22 PM
No, actually I read the Cliff's Notes and could tell neither of them had anything to say I agreed with.  Saved me a lot of screaming out loud at people who were no longer around to yell at. 

And, interestingly, I searched for "what famous philosopher would I agree with"  http://www.selectsmart.com/FREE/select.php?client=PhilosophyGuys.  Took the quiz.  I vaguely thought it would be Hume, but it turned out to be Kant 100% (Hume was 2nd at 75%).  For any interested parties, 3rd, 4th, and 5th were Aristotle, Augustine, and Aquinus, but those were all below 50%.  Plato scored 0%!

I'll have to re-read Kant to see if the quiz makes sense.
I took this quiz:

http://selectsmart.com/PHILOSOPHY/

My results show that I'm mostly aligned with Jeremy Bentham

Baruch

Sal ... very interesting results for you.  You got so many more results than I did.  Anyone who scored 76% with Spinoza can't be all bad ;-)  But Nel Noddings ... isn't that some obscure British food?  Like Yorkshire pudding?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Sal1981 on August 31, 2017, 06:57:08 AM
I took this quiz:

http://selectsmart.com/PHILOSOPHY/

My results show that I'm mostly aligned with Jeremy Bentham

OK, I had to look him up.  Not bad, but I think where I disagree is about Natural Rights.   He seems to have thought Natural Rights being not god-given (of course) not also somehow not being human based.  I'm not sure where that goes.  I like his ideas about "legal fictions" though.