Author Topic: Nietzsche -- on the value of suffering and difficulty  (Read 211 times)

Online Cavebear

Re: Nietzsche -- on the value of suffering and difficulty
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 01:52:59 PM »
Yeah, but the Sartre character that could have wet dreams on command I found quite interesting.

I must have been given the abridged book...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2017, 07:30:06 PM »
I must have been given the abridged book...
Now that I think of it, it could have been Camus I was thinking of.  The novel was set in WWII, with the French resistance, I think.  One of the soldiers was talking about having wet dreams on command--that's why he liked naps.  I has been a long long time ago that I read it.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent,
Is he able but not willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able or willing?
Then why call him god?

Online Cavebear

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2017, 06:41:30 AM »
Now that I think of it, it could have been Camus I was thinking of.  The novel was set in WWII, with the French resistance, I think.  One of the soldiers was talking about having wet dreams on command--that's why he liked naps.  I has been a long long time ago that I read it.

My philosophy 101 lecturer claimed that Aquinas proved there was a god, and if you disagreed with him, you filed the course.  I managed a C by regurgurating enough on the exams to satisfy his religious ideas.  I couldn't do what he REALLY wanted which was total agreement.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead

Offline Baruch

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2017, 08:44:40 AM »
My philosophy 101 lecturer claimed that Aquinas proved there was a god, and if you disagreed with him, you filed the course.  I managed a C by regurgurating enough on the exams to satisfy his religious ideas.  I couldn't do what he REALLY wanted which was total agreement.

Humanities professors are like that ;-(
שלום