Hate NASCAR but will watch this one time.

Started by Brian37, February 18, 2013, 06:43:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian37

It is all over the News, Danica Patrick made the pole position for the Daytona 500!

GO DANICA!
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

wolf39us

SGOS

Quote from: "wolf39us"Who's that?

And what's NASCAR?

Plu

NASCAR is people driving in circles, and failing miserably at even that fairly simple task.

Shiranu

As boring as I find NASCAR, it does take skill and it is science, so I have to respect it.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

wolf39us

Meh, they're taking another left turn!  They're taking another left turn!

I wonder what's gonna happen next!

SGOS

Quote from: "wolf39us"Meh, they're taking another left turn!  They're taking another left turn!

I would propose a more interesting variation for NASCAR, a straight track of 3 miles with no turns in the track itself.  A lap would consist of a run to the end of the track, doing a 180, and racing back to the start.  There could be 100 laps in the race.  They wouldn't have to actually build new tracks for this.  They could simply use runways at major airports, and race while planes were landing.

This would open NASCAR to new locations around the country, and make NASCAR available to a larger segment of the population.

Alaric I

Quote from: "SGOS"
Quote from: "wolf39us"Meh, they're taking another left turn!  They're taking another left turn!

I would propose a more interesting variation for NASCAR, a straight track of 3 miles with no turns in the track itself.  A lap would consist of a run to the end of the track, doing a 180, and racing back to the start.  There could be 100 laps in the race.  They wouldn't have to actually build new tracks for this.  They could simply use runways at major airports, and race while planes were landing.

This would open NASCAR to new locations around the country, and make NASCAR available to a larger segment of the population.

I have been of the idea that we need figure 8 tracks with a jump in the middle.  It guarentees you get the most exciting part, the crashes.

SGOS

Quote from: "Alaric I"
Quote from: "SGOS"

I have been of the idea that we need figure 8 tracks with a jump in the middle.  It guarentees you get the most exciting part, the crashes.

Yes, this would be a wonderful idea.  The jump in the middle should include a jump in all directions of travel, so it would add the interest of mid air collisions.

The Skeletal Atheist

I like NASCAR (yes, a gay atheist who likes watching NASCAR), and it's kind of surprising that Danika will be in pole. Considering her track record though, I don't think her spot in first will last long.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Brian37

Yea that sums it up. But as much as I hate that sport, all sports take talent, even the ones I don't like. These people are driving 200 plus miles an hour bumper to bumper. Plus they have to time their fuel and tire changes.

I feel the same about golf. Boring to me to watch, but it does take skill to get that ball where you want it. I'd consider watching golf if on the putt the other players were allowed to shoot paint balls at the person putting. Not at the face or the club or the ball, just at the arms back and legs.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: "The Skeletal Atheist"I like NASCAR (yes, a gay atheist who likes watching NASCAR), and it's kind of surprising that Danika will be in pole. Considering her track record though, I don't think her spot in first will last long.
Danica has run well at Daytona in the past. She has even led some laps. She hasn't finished very well yet, but it is Daytona and shit happens.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

BarkAtTheMoon

Quote from: "PopeyesPappy"
Quote from: "The Skeletal Atheist"I like NASCAR (yes, a gay atheist who likes watching NASCAR), and it's kind of surprising that Danika will be in pole. Considering her track record though, I don't think her spot in first will last long.
Danica has run well at Daytona in the past. She has even led some laps. She hasn't finished very well yet, but it is Daytona and shit happens.
I'm not that surprised. She's always done well at big, fast tracks going back to her Indy days. I'd be more surprised if she won or got pole at somewhere like Bristol or a road course. And yeah, Daytona is crazy, a lot of luck is necessary to win, and it's quite often not the best driver or car on the day that wins. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if her first NASCAR win comes at either Daytona, Talladega, or the Brickyard.
"When you landed on the moon, that was the point when God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures and you put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, then you fucking turn up and say, 'Well done.' It's just a polite thing to do." - Eddie Izzard

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: "BarkAtTheMoon"
Quote from: "PopeyesPappy"
I'm not that surprised. She's always done well at big, fast tracks going back to her Indy days. I'd be more surprised if she won or got pole at somewhere like Bristol or a road course. And yeah, Daytona is crazy, a lot of luck is necessary to win, and it's quite often not the best driver or car on the day that wins. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if her first NASCAR win comes at either Daytona, Talladega, or the Brickyard.
Yea a lot of first (and only) time winners at both Daytona and Talladega.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.