News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Crash Course: Mythology

Started by Shiranu, July 30, 2017, 02:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Two great Youtube channels of knowledge came together to do a Crash Course series on world mythologies. Makes a good reminder, or primer. Also covers some mythologies that the average person will have never heard of, which is cool.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Blackleaf

Quote from: Shiranu on July 30, 2017, 02:23:18 PM
Two great Youtube channels of knowledge came together to do a Crash Course series on world mythologies. Makes a good reminder, or primer. Also covers some mythologies that the average person will have never heard of, which is cool.

Seems interesting. I'l watch a few episodes.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Cupid and Psyche love affair, is a predecessor to the Gospel of John.

Short review of Power Of Myth by Joseph Campbell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQRQJpBnHyg
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

I learned a good bit of mythology from a large book of world mythology back in my early 20s, just to love reading up on the facts about mythological characters, especially given the fact their real background designs weren't quite as softie nicey nice as some adaptations made them out to be, like Zeus instead of the fluffy daddy dear in disneys hercules, he was basically a big man whore fucking anything that moved, including his own sisters and daughters. 
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on July 30, 2017, 09:10:57 PM
I learned a good bit of mythology from a large book of world mythology back in my early 20s, just to love reading up on the facts about mythological characters, especially given the fact their real background designs weren't quite as softie nicey nice as some adaptations made them out to be, like Zeus instead of the fluffy daddy dear in disneys hercules, he was basically a big man whore fucking anything that moved, including his own sisters and daughters.

One of my first readers, outside of school, was The Adventures Of Hercules, given to me by an older boy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M85OLHYcB4
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on July 30, 2017, 09:10:57 PM

Most all the mythologies are about supermen and superwomen pretty much screwing arounnd with mortals one way or another.  I love reading mythology to see how people thought at the time.

Did you know that the cyclops was just a mammoth fossil eroding out of a hillside?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on August 17, 2017, 10:21:11 AM
Most all the mythologies are about supermen and superwomen pretty much screwing arounnd with mortals one way or another.  I love reading mythology to see how people thought at the time.

Did you know that the cyclops was just a mammoth fossil eroding out of a hillside?

You know, that might be another potential definition of mythology: bad interpretations of good data.

I always loved classical Greek mythology too, but that probably had more to do with all the hot naked willing men...
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on September 22, 2017, 12:42:15 PM
You know, that might be another potential definition of mythology: bad interpretations of good data.

I always loved classical Greek mythology too, but that probably had more to do with all the hot naked willing men...

You would have gone far in ancient Greece.  Romans weren't into that.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 22, 2017, 12:47:01 PM
You would have gone far in ancient Greece.  Romans weren't into that.

I'm surprised.  Everyone else seems to have accepted it at most times.  Wikipedia offers some impressive evidence.  It's not my cup of tea, but it is hard to deny the persistence of the desire.

I expect that it will eventually be found to be some neurological brain wiring like right-handed vs left-handed and there shouldn't be any moral judgement about handedness...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2017, 02:49:03 AM
I'm surprised.  Everyone else seems to have accepted it at most times.  Wikipedia offers some impressive evidence.  It's not my cup of tea, but it is hard to deny the persistence of the desire.

I expect that it will eventually be found to be some neurological brain wiring like right-handed vs left-handed and there shouldn't be any moral judgement about handedness...

Greek men permitted selective gay/bi behavior.  It was social and political, not hedonistic.  Hedonism was considered depraved by most societies.  The Romans didn't like gay/bi behavior because they only saw "the bottom" and saw that in political terms.  Being a bottom, for anyone, was a class/political statement.  You could be a top on anyone, male or female ... but only if the bottom was a slave.  So it doesn't qualify as gayness, it was sadisim that motivated Romans.  And misogyny ... women were defined as "bottom" in almost all circumstances ... that is why Cleopatra was hated so much ... and she was foreign as well.  Pater Familias ... was the basis for Roman authority, and originally it was dictatorial, as in Cosa Nostra.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sorginak

Quote from: Baruch on September 23, 2017, 03:32:03 PM
Greek men permitted selective gay/bi behavior.  It was social and political, not hedonistic.  Hedonism was considered depraved by most societies.  The Romans didn't like gay/bi behavior because they only saw "the bottom" and saw that in political terms.  Being a bottom, for anyone, was a class/political statement.  You could be a top on anyone, male or female ... but only if the bottom was a slave.  So it doesn't qualify as gayness, it was sadisim that motivated Romans.  And misogyny ... women were defined as "bottom" in almost all circumstances ... that is why Cleopatra was hated so much ... and she was foreign as well.  Pater Familias ... was the basis for Roman authority, and originally it was dictatorial, as in Cosa Nostra.

Which are you, top or bottom?  ;)

Baruch

Quote from: Sorginak on September 23, 2017, 03:38:30 PM
Which are you, top or bottom?  ;)

Neither ... and otherwise TMI ;-)  I hope I have never had sex, as a power trip.  In some cultures, that is part and parcel, but only if you make out in the back of the Post Office ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2017, 02:49:03 AM

Well, there are known genetic components to it -- I carry several -- but no one can yet say with any authority that it's completely genetically driven.  Certainly us gays need you straights to continue breeding more gays.  That's a little out of our scope.  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Munch

Guess we know where that puts wolverine that time he was Hercules snuggle buddy.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Nothing wrong with the Greeks.  Romans were puritanical.  Couldn't even stand the infant sacrifices of the Carthaginians.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.