News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

310 Miles on a Charge at $44,000

Started by SGOS, July 30, 2017, 06:44:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-29/tesla-s-model-3-arrives-with-a-surprise-310-mile-range

The latest low price range Tesla goes more than 300 miles between charges.  And it's not like one of those ugly boxes that started showing up 10 years ago.  Its design is actually more pleasant  than most late model cars, although that's a subjective call, I suppose.  It looks like a Mazda 3, which somewhat bucks the modern trend to build automobiles that resemble giant cockroaches, a look that I could never wrap my head around.

But 300 miles on a charge breaks a barrier in my mind.  You could actually take a cross country trip in a car like that.  There are still compromises one would have to make, probably in trunk space.  Recharging will probably take longer than a gas fillup, although I've never seen that issue addressed, and of course, the biggy is the $44,000 dollar price tag, so figure a rough $50,000 by the time the dealer is done fucking with you.  But still, this is a lot less than those $350,000 concept cars of a few years ago.

This is not Adolph Hitler's peoples car, a "volks wagen" that anyone can afford.  Yes there was a time when anyone could afford a Volkswagen, but the CEO decided there was more money to be made in up-scaled expensive cars, so the original concept got lost.  Tesla is on to something.  They are skipping the whole affordability thing, and building it for the Corporate board room.  But the cost will come down.  After all, it's just a car made out of metal and plastic, with technology that already exists for the most part.

The biggest stumbling blocks will probably be from the petroleum industry, but those guys could just take their profits and use it to go into the electric car business.  When it comes to wealth building capitalism, does it make any difference where the money comes from?  There is nothing particularly sacred about fossil fuels.  It's mostly just a tradition.

Atheon

One plausible solution to long charges is swapping out batteries at fuel stations.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Baruch

in theory one can certainly power one of those via wind power or solar power.  Building a vast infrastructure to support it ... is comparable to what it took to build the existing structure.  Who will pay for it?  The first system was paid for by burning cheap petroleum.  I thought we should have gotten moving on alternatives 30+ years ago.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

"You could actually take a cross country trip in a car like that. "

How long to charge the batteries at each stop?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 30, 2017, 08:25:56 AM

I don't know.  More than a fill up I would guess.  It could be a problem during busy times.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on July 30, 2017, 09:08:08 AM
I don't know.  More than a fill up I would guess.  It could be a problem during busy times.
So, if you can't park it for a night you have to park it for a day, to charge it. (times approx.)
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 30, 2017, 10:40:47 AM
So, if you can't park it for a night you have to park it for a day, to charge it. (times approx.)
I'm speculating 30 minutes for a battery swap, assuming it isn't lunch hour, and you don't have to wait in line.  But behind a line of cars, well, I don't want to even think about it.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on July 30, 2017, 11:12:56 AM
I'm speculating 30 minutes for a battery swap, assuming it isn't lunch hour, and you don't have to wait in line.  But behind a line of cars, well, I don't want to even think about it.
And how far apart are the battery changing stations?
PZ Myers

Hydra009

SGOS

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on July 30, 2017, 01:39:11 PM
That would be a problem.
When propane was a hot idea the joke was "Where's the nearest propane filling station?" "Don't care, we can just fart into the tank."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 30, 2017, 08:25:56 AM

The first guy to prove cross country in the US was Lt Eisenhower.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on July 30, 2017, 09:08:08 AM

Elite privilege ... just show the peasant out of the way if the recharge station is already occupied ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.