How Hard Could it be to Get Rid of the Canaanites?

Started by SGOS, July 28, 2017, 12:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

The Canaanites were a depraved and unholy lot.  I'm pretty sure they would have pissed me off. :braceface:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/27/science/ancient-canaanites-bible-lebanon.html?_r=0

There is a story in the Hebrew Bible that tells of God’s call for the annihilation of the Canaanites, a people who lived in what are now Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, Israel and the Palestinian territories thousands of years ago.

“You shall not leave alive anything that breathes,” God said in the passage. “But you shall utterly destroy them.”

But a genetic analysis published on Thursday has found that the ancient population survived that divine call for their extinction, and their descendants live in modern Lebanon.

Mike Cl

Yes, the Canaanites were beyond depraved.  They were so evil that God ordered them destroyed.  I think God was probably a little weary when he issued that order, for he could have 'thought' them out of existence--he did create them after all, so that would be his right--but ordered other humans to do it.  And according to the Bible it was done as ordered. 

So, There!, SGOS.  You and your study are clearly wrong for the Bible clearly says they were made gone-gone with no trace whatsoever.  The Bible Trumps your stupid old study!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Blackleaf

You know what they say. If you want something done right, you've gotta do it yourself. God should really stop relying on the help.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Actually, the Bible admits that the Canaanite people of Gezer were allowed to live, because they tricked the invading Israelites into accepting them as allies, the Israelites only later finding out that their allies were Canaanites ;-)

It is all politics anyway.  Some scholars (like Finklestein) thinks that the invasion from across the Jordan never happened.  That it was a normal cycle for the hill country to fail economically, and the shepherds living lower and to the East, moving into the vacuum.  Also Jericho wasn't destroyed by the Israelites at all.  There was an ideological change ... the prior people at pigs, but the Israelites did not.  So it is just a kosher difference ;-)  There is no difference between Canaanite language and Hebrew ... both have the "Canaanite vowel shift" not found in the more rustic Aramaic and Arabic.  Abraham's family was supposedly Aramean (I think they were Hurrian) ... the Midianite father-in-law of Moses, would have spoken Arabic.  And the people with Moses were a "mixed multitude" anyway.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aitm

For a god who orders the killing of babies and the rape of little girls and for women to be forced to marry their rapists or for people to murder their sons for being pissy with them and to let angels sip mead and eat bread while innocent girls are raped and butchered to protect them.....them cannonites musta been REAL depraved eh?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on July 29, 2017, 06:10:13 PM
For a god who orders the killing of babies and the rape of little girls and for women to be forced to marry their rapists or for people to murder their sons for being pissy with them and to let angels sip mead and eat bread while innocent girls are raped and butchered to protect them.....them cannonites musta been REAL depraved eh?

Some of them engaged in child sacrifice, because late term abortion hadn't been invented yet.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on July 29, 2017, 11:53:42 PM
Some of them engaged in child sacrifice, because late term abortion hadn't been invented yet.

So did the Hebrews in the Old Testment. "You must give me the first born of your sons."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 30, 2017, 02:58:42 AM
So did the Hebrews in the Old Testment. "You must give me the first born of your sons."

Don't tell rabbis!  Reinterpretation changed the meaning of that ;=0
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Atheon

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 30, 2017, 02:58:42 AM
Not so much of a sacrifice, given that they breed like rabbis.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Baruch

Quote from: Atheon on July 30, 2017, 08:03:07 AM
Not so much of a sacrifice, given that they breed like rabbis.

I don't know how to interpret that.  Let me consult a rabbi.  Do you mean Semites in general including Arabs?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on July 30, 2017, 07:42:54 AM
Don't tell rabbis!  Reinterpretation changed the meaning of that ;=0

Hey. At least they gave the mothers seven days to be with their babies before tearing them from their arms and slitting their throats. They weren't total savages.
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 30, 2017, 11:00:30 AM
Hey. At least they gave the mothers seven days to be with their babies before tearing them from their arms and slitting their throats. They weren't total savages.

Romans couldn't execute pregnant women.  Perpetua of Carthage, was pregnant.  That gave her extra time to reverse her obstinacy (in spite of pleading by her father and the magistrate).  As soon as her baby was delivered, on the next public execution opportunity, she was executed.  Think of it as early "death by cop".  A young man in Iowa just did this.  Stole his parent's car.  Had a flat.  Tried to carjack an elderly couple and failed.  The police hunted him down, and since he was "approaching" them ... they opened fire and killed him.  So much easier to stone them at the gate, eh?

Just talked to an old hippie last night.  He had anger issues as a teen, from father abuse.  He took up weed in his teens, and hasn't been angry since.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Apparently, it is rather hard to get rid of the Canaanites.  I read a recent study in The Washington Post newspaper about DNA showing the Canaanites are still genetically distinct in the Middle East.  It may have been Jordan or Lebanon.  I don't feel like looking it up.  Feel free to.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 03, 2017, 10:30:12 AM
Apparently, it is rather hard to get rid of the Canaanites.  I read a recent study in The Washington Post newspaper about DNA showing the Canaanites are still genetically distinct in the Middle East.  It may have been Jordan or Lebanon.  I don't feel like looking it up.  Feel free to.

Linguisticially, the Arabs are not Canaanites, but the Jews who speak Ivrit are.

Studied a general Y-chromosome analysis ... the Lebanese are quite diverse, and we would expect that from the history.  Both old Y-chromosome and more recent from Arabs and Crusaders and Greeks and Romans.  So I call BS on this report anyway ... there is really no way to tell, other than the old Sidon evidence must be genetically diverse too, minus the obvious more recent invasions.  My own Y-chromosome comes from early Fertile Crescent people, who were in the area long before the Israelites were a country.

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman