How Hard Could it be to Get Rid of the Canaanites?

Started by SGOS, July 28, 2017, 12:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 03, 2017, 03:25:11 PM
This marrying the rapist crap is still going on:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/jordan-marry-rapist-law-rape-convicts-escape-punishment-marriage/

I try to consider all religions equally dumb.  But when I read things like this, I wonder.  I'll count it as social and personal ignorance sort of like the Christian Hatfields and McCoys...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 03, 2017, 03:25:11 PM
This marrying the rapist crap is still going on:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/jordan-marry-rapist-law-rape-convicts-escape-punishment-marriage/

That is all about women being property, as they were here, until 1920.  That an magical thinking, that a potentially pregnant woman, without husband, will bring plague.  The Bible has the story of Ruth, to dissuade some of this ancient stuff ... the widow having to marry a brother of her dead husband, to bear children for his name, if she didn't do so already.  Boas stepped in, instead of the douche that was next in line.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on August 06, 2017, 07:40:51 AM
That is all about women being property, as they were here, until 1920.  That an magical thinking, that a potentially pregnant woman, without husband, will bring plague.  The Bible has the story of Ruth, to dissuade some of this ancient stuff ... the widow having to marry a brother of her dead husband, to bear children for his name, if she didn't do so already.  Boas stepped in, instead of the douche that was next in line.

Wasn't the next guy in line kinda blindsided by the situation? I remember when Boas went to him to ask if he wanted dibs, he said he'd take her. But then Boas told him that she was a foreigner, and he was like, "Eh. You can have her."
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 06, 2017, 11:31:57 AM
Wasn't the next guy in line kinda blindsided by the situation? I remember when Boas went to him to ask if he wanted dibs, he said he'd take her. But then Boas told him that she was a foreigner, and he was like, "Eh. You can have her."
Wow you threw me for a loop there a bit.  I finally found Boaz in the online bible.  Do you have any idea how many "boas" Google shows there are that didn't make any sense?  LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 06, 2017, 11:55:43 AM
Wow you threw me for a loop there a bit.  I finally found Boaz in the online bible.  Do you have any idea how many "boas" Google shows there are that didn't make any sense?  LOL!

Sorry for the bad transcription.  But as an atheist from birth, if you read the Bible your fur catches fire ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 06, 2017, 11:31:57 AM

This story was pre-Ezra or possibly anti-Ezra from later times.  Ruth was the ancestor of King David ... so being impure isn't a real hindrance.  Just ask Falasha.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.