Trump's Speech to the Boy Scouts

Started by Shiranu, July 25, 2017, 05:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Creepy.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/25/politics/donald-trump-boy-scouts-speech/index.html

Quote1. "Boy, you have a lot of people here. The press will say it's about 200 people. It looks like about 45,000 people. You set a record today. You set a record."

The Charleston Gazette estimated 40,000 people in the crowd -- which is a lot! Not sure there is a "record" for attendance at a Boy Scout Jamboree. Also worth noting from the Gazette: "Press staff handling the event did not allow local media to bring film equipment into the amphitheater."

7. "He better get them. Oh, he better -- otherwise, I'll say, 'Tom, you're fired.' I'll get somebody."
This "joke" was directed at Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price who was, awkwardly, standing on stage next to Trump. It came amid Trump's public effort to force Sessions to resign and less than a week after Trump threatened Sen. Dean Heller, R-Nevada, on health care.

10. "By the way, what do you think the chances are that this incredible, massive crowd, record-setting is going to be shown on television tonight? One percent or zero?"
As Trump was saying this, CNN was showing shots of the crowd. Also, that crowd was "massive" and "record setting."

19. "Do we remember that date? Was that a beautiful date? What a date."
He's talking about Election Day 2016. Because of course he is.
20. "But do you remember that incredible night with the maps and the Republicans are red and the Democrats are blue, and that map was so red, it was unbelievable, and they didn't know what to say?"
ICYMI: Donald Trump won the 2016 election, winning 304 out of a possible 538 electoral votes. That election was 260 days ago.

26. "And by the way, under the Trump administration, you'll be saying 'Merry Christmas' again when you go shopping. Believe me. 'Merry Christmas.'"
Trump gave this speech on July 24.
27. "They've been downplaying that little, beautiful phrase. You're going to be saying 'Merry Christmas' again, folks."
First of all, "they." Second of all, Merry damn Christmas.

For some alternative fun, see what Trump fans thought of the speech...

On the same week that a Republican from Texas is saying he wishes he could shoot and kill women Democrats who disagreed with him, and a guy from Houston starts shipping lard-covered Qu'rans to mosques and private residences... and faces no consequences from it. Jesus christ, America society, what are you doing?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mike Cl

Quote from: Shiranu on July 25, 2017, 05:50:54 PM

Jesus christ, America society, what are you doing?
Forest Gump (his mama, really)--Stupid is as stupid does.  There is no escaping the fact that we are now being run by the stupid.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Sorry, I don't consider the Clintons, Bushes nor the Cheneys to be smart people either.

However ... the last Obama CIA director, John Brennan, called for a coup against President Trump today (if he does what Brennan doesn't want him to do).  Just like a Dem ... Jefferson Davis all the way down.  Reminds me of the last time someone tried to prevent the inauguration of a President, some D folk tried to intercept Mr Lincoln in a train station in Baltimore, fortunately the Pinkertons were on the case.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote20. "But do you remember that incredible night with the maps and the Republicans are red and the Democrats are blue, and that map was so red, it was unbelievable, and they didn't know what to say?"
Umm...the map is always super red because vast stretches of rural land with not a whole lot of people typically go Republican while urban areas, which are comparatively tiny, typically go Democrat.

Quote6. "We're doing a lot with energy."
???

Atheon

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Baruch

A lot of New Soviet Men around here ... must be OK, because they don't like Hitler.  What is the name of that meme ... when every argument devolves to Hitler?

Actually, most around here would hate the Boy Scouts anyway (and the Guides in GB).  They should, both are forms of early 20th century youth fascism.  The Hitler Youth were the hyper-political German version ... but the Guides were created to support the British Empire, as the Boy Scouts were created to support the American Empire.

The non-rural country ... will be glass parking lots shortly.  Please keep your nuclear fallout to your SJW selves.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Atheon

I've found the Boy Scouts too regimented and military-esque for my liking, plus they're too religious and anti-gay (though they've been improving lately in the latter department).

My dad was a Boy Scout when he was a kid, but for some reason he didn't enroll me in them. Instead, he enrolled me in some local alternative scouting group that was more focused on practical outdoorsmanship and nature education (camping, nature hikes, botany lessons, etc.) than on "traditional values".
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

SGOS

I was in the Boy Scouts because I wanted to go camping and hiking, but I could do way more camping and outdoors stuff on my own, and I didn't have to wait all year for one outdoor activity.  I quit the scouts because they were simply not able to keep up with me.  Way back when, the Boy Scouts were the model of American Youth.  They were good clean wholesome God fearing youngsters learning moral values.  Of course the values of my youth were mostly based on hypocrisy and bigotry.  But scouting seemed like a good idea. 

I really don't know what scouting is about today, having lost interest years ago.  I watched snippets of Trumps speech, and I thought it was offensive, political, and Trumpish, suggesting the appropriateness of drinking, cocktails, and life in the fast lane making it with chicks.  Really??  Just "saying it like it is," I guess.   Supposedly, Scouting is politically neutral.  In fact, I think it's illegal for the organization to take a politically partisan stand.  Which makes it an ideal propaganda target for Trump to pedal a political ideology.  If the BSA were to oppose partisan propaganda, the would be in violation, yet a politician is free to pedal his bullshit to the Boy Scouts without being held accountable.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on July 26, 2017, 08:08:14 AM
I was in the Boy Scouts because I wanted to go camping and hiking, but I could do way more camping and outdoors stuff on my own, and I didn't have to wait all year for one outdoor activity.  I quit the scouts because they were simply not able to keep up with me.  Way back when, the Boy Scouts were the model of American Youth.  They were good clean wholesome God fearing youngsters learning moral values.  Of course the values of my youth were mostly based on hypocrisy and bigotry.  But scouting seemed like a good idea. 

I really don't know what scouting is about today, having lost interest years ago.  I watched snippets of Trumps speech, and I thought it was offensive, political, and Trumpish, suggesting the appropriateness of drinking, cocktails, and life in the fast lane making it with chicks.  Really??  Just "saying it like it is," I guess.   Supposedly, Scouting is politically neutral.  In fact, I think it's illegal for the organization to take a politically partisan stand.  Which makes it an ideal propaganda target for Trump to pedal a political ideology.  If the BSA were to oppose partisan propaganda, the would be in violation, yet a politician is free to pedal his bullshit to the Boy Scouts without being held accountable.

Voters have to hold politicians accountable .. or not.  At least Trump didn't try to kiss all the babies ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Atheon on July 26, 2017, 07:21:47 AM
I've found the Boy Scouts too regimented and military-esque for my liking, plus they're too religious and anti-gay (though they've been improving lately in the latter department).

My dad was a Boy Scout when he was a kid, but for some reason he didn't enroll me in them. Instead, he enrolled me in some local alternative scouting group that was more focused on practical outdoorsmanship and nature education (camping, nature hikes, botany lessons, etc.) than on "traditional values".
Heck, I was a Boy Scout m'self.

Until our scout leader left town under unclear circumstances.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on July 26, 2017, 12:54:57 PM
Heck, I was a Boy Scout m'self.

Until our scout leader left town under unclear circumstances.

The usual sin is boy-girl not boy-boy.  People are far to paranoid about gays.  I suspect most Catholic priests haven't diddled boys ... the girls are just as available, and more attractive to most priests.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

fencerider

Trump is still bragging about his inaugaration? Hey Nimrod!!! If there really as many people there as you say there was, it's because they were expecting you to do something. So shut-up and get to work.

I wonder if the boy scouts got the balls to send him a letter to tell him how inappropriate his speech was.
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on July 27, 2017, 02:01:34 AM
Trump is still bragging about his inaugaration? Hey Nimrod!!! If there really as many people there as you say there was, it's because they were expecting you to do something. So shut-up and get to work.

I wonder if the boy scouts got the balls to send him a letter to tell him how inappropriate his speech was.

There is probably a merit badge he earned for giving a speech at the Jamboree ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on July 27, 2017, 06:53:23 AM
There is probably a merit badge he earned for giving a speech at the Jamboree ;-)
I forgot about merit badges and special pins like 1st class, 2nd class, 3rd class.  The real scout nerds accumulated merit badges, and I vaguely remember something about three arrow point badges that designated some very special status. Near the end of the Scout Achievement hierarchy, you could eventually ascend to the esteemed level of Eagle Scout.  By then, you had so many decorations you actually had to buy a special sash worn diagonally across your chest.  Eagle Scouts were rare, like Generals or Admirals.   I only knew one, a distant acquaintance that my father instructed me to respect with awe.  When he put on his uniform with all the high level accessories, he looked like Baron Von Hoffschloffer at an important Affair of State.

There was one little thing about scouting that I cherished.  In retrospect it was not special, but as a 12 year old, it meant something special to me.  It was the Boy Scout Handbook, required of every Scout, just as every Christian needs his own Bible.  Everything about scouting was in the Handbook, the pledges, salute and secret handshake, the codes of honor, etc.   Most seemed unimportant, but much of it was devoted to outdoor skills, fire building, tracking, hiding.  There were diagrams of little campfire set ups made from forked sticks to hold the little pot from your Boy Scout Mess Kit.  Clever hints thought up by some would be backwoodsman in a special office of the Boy Scouts of America Headquarters, probably in a special wing of the Pentagon.  Actually, I can't remember where Headquarters was.

Much of it is probably obsolete now.  I don't think it would be environmentally friendly to built actual campfires with the modern availability of gas powered camp stoves.  Constructing soft beds of pine boughs to spread your sleeping bag out on destroys campsites, and hopefully, the manual doesn't include any drawings of the camp hatchet, which had secretly inspired every Boy Scout to chop down a tree when the Scout Master was in the outhouse.  But the Boy Scout handbook was my "go to" reference when I wanted to fantasize about going hiking and camping.

Shiranu

Quote from: fencerider on July 27, 2017, 02:01:34 AM

The boy scouts organization probably loves him, so I doubt it.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur