News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Life on earth

Started by Drew_2017, July 20, 2017, 03:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 23, 2017, 11:23:30 AM
As happened during WW II, we'd refuse to take them.
Do you know how many Jewish refugees were admitted into the US from 1939 to 1945? The number is in six figures.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 23, 2017, 10:00:24 PM
Do you know how many Jewish refugees were admitted into the US from 1939 to 1945? The number is in six figures.
Yeah, I guess you are correct.  I was thinking of one particular ship.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 23, 2017, 10:51:13 PM
Yeah, I guess you are correct.  I was thinking of one particular ship.
Lot's of people have the same impression, and yeah, that's from the St. Louis movie.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 24, 2017, 07:06:02 AM
Lot's of people have the same impression, and yeah, that's from the St. Louis movie.
Well, I stand corrected.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Neo-Nazis (who I do read posts from on other web sites) would claim ... that all the Jewish refugees were German Nazi agents trying to infiltrate our vital juices.  Good thing we blocked their entry!  But never fear, at least they weren't Muslims.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on July 25, 2017, 06:39:46 AM
Neo-Nazis (who I do read posts from on other web sites) would claim ... that all the Jewish refugees were German Nazi agents trying to infiltrate our vital juices.  Good thing we blocked their entry!  But never fear, at least they weren't Muslims.
We had actually espionage and sabotage cases in WWI, plus the usual wild ass stories about the same of course, making suspicion of any entrant somewhat understandable. The insertion of German agents on June 12, 1942, just fueled the flames.
PZ Myers

Baruch

This is why people don't like good history.  The facts are inconvenient to our imaginations or our ideologies.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on July 25, 2017, 07:15:27 AM
This is why people don't like good history.  The facts are inconvenient to our imaginations or our ideologies.
"Some" people don't like accurate history.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 25, 2017, 07:53:16 AM
"Some" people don't like accurate history.

R accurate, D accurate, US accurate, Soviet accurate ... there is no taking politics out of it.  As long as events aren't simply made up.  But the interpretation of events is always political, going back to Herodotus.  Yes, Hitler gave the British a chance to surrender before Dunkirk was occupied.  And Churchill was smart to not take him up on it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 24, 2017, 10:25:48 AM
Well, I stand corrected.
And this right here is the very core of rationalism vs. faith -- and why I stand with rationalism.  Give me "the data indicates..." over "because I said so!" any day.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 23, 2017, 12:05:21 PM
Yeah.  I think I lot of it is the context people hear the word theory.  Much of the time, it's either as a conspiracy theory or scientific theory.  People see a similar word and assume there's a similar process behind it.  Nothing could be further from the truth.

Yes, its the "my theory is" when they hardly even have a hypothesis.  You can have an idea (sharks heal fast so there might be something useful about that).  Then you could develop a hypothesis (there IS something about their bodies through evolution that gives them that healing ability).  Then you could test that hypothesis by taking skin scrapings and blood samples to test their self-healing powers.  If true you might then have a theory about shark evolution and healing mechanisms.

That is a real example, BTW.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on July 28, 2017, 03:08:59 AM
Yes, its the "my theory is" when they hardly even have a hypothesis.
"My theory is" is often nothing more an expression of an idea, even one that gelled in two seconds.  The word, "theory" has been abused into oblivion.  A person will discredit a well documented principle as worthless because its only a theory.  But if that same person needs to add credibility to his last brain fart, he will refer to it as a theory.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on July 25, 2017, 01:04:24 PM
R accurate, D accurate, US accurate, Soviet accurate ... there is no taking politics out of it.  As long as events aren't simply made up.  But the interpretation of events is always political, going back to Herodotus.  Yes, Hitler gave the British a chance to surrender before Dunkirk was occupied.  And Churchill was smart to not take him up on it.
You make up problems, that's cool.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 28, 2017, 11:14:27 AM
You make up problems, that's cool.

Yeah, it isn't a problem, if someone agrees with you ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.