A question for the ex-Christian atheists

Started by fencerider, July 07, 2017, 02:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Last stage isn't atheism, it is cynicism (in the modern sense).  Read Ecclesiastes, old man?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on August 09, 2017, 06:59:59 AM
Last stage isn't atheism, it is cynicism (in the modern sense).  Read Ecclesiastes, old man?
The last stage is death.  Cynicism, atheism, skepticism are just realizations along the way, and they don't come in any order requiring one to be final.  And forget what Ecclesiastes says about it.  That's a just a chapter from a book of what is basically rubbish. Not my first choice as a go to reference when I need to understand something.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on August 09, 2017, 07:13:22 AM
The last stage is death.  Cynicism, atheism, skepticism are just realizations along the way, and they don't come in any order requiring one to be final.  And forget what Ecclesiastes says about it.  That's a just a chapter from a book of what is basically rubbish. Not my first choice as a go to reference when I need to understand something.

Well maybe you haven't had the last bit of idealism kicked out of your crotch yet.  Ecclesiastes and Job speak to me, you can refer to your DSM V manual if you like.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on August 09, 2017, 07:13:22 AM

I understand.  I'm 67 and beginning to understand my eventual death.  But none of that involves any afterlife.  Just mundane things like making a list of places for Executor to tell I'm dead so they won't bother with wondering why I vanished, the few objects I have of non-obvious value, what do do with my cats, etc.  Practical stuff. 

The legal stuff is all in my Will, but there are a lot of minor things that aren't legal matters.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on August 09, 2017, 06:59:59 AM
You have that backwards--cynicism and then atheism; the default for any person who can reason.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

trdsf

Quote from: Munch on August 08, 2017, 05:27:59 PM
I believe its the implication you were never a Christian to start with, suggesting you have no past understanding of the meaning of Christianity and so have no basis to criticize it.

I've never been islamic, but it doesn't take being born into an Islamic culture to know it's practices and beliefs are awful too.
I figured, but I wanted to hear Flee's terms rather than assume.

I had actually been quite an enthusiastic little Catholic -- altar boy, lector, even toyed with the idea of going to a seminary and taking vows, went to one of the top Catholic high schools in the nation.  I aver that I had been very much a convinced believer at one point in my life.

Happily, I learned better.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Let me make sure every new poster understands...  I am not Christian, Hindu, Jewish, Moslem, Satanist, Bhuddist, etc.  I am atheist.  Non-theist.  Not-theist.  No belief in any deity and that includes "good" ones, "bad" ones and sci-fi ones.  OK?  Any suggestion I was, am, or ever will be is inaccurate just annoys the crap out of me..

Just saying that because some posters just can't get it through their thick skulls that SOME PEOPLE have no theistic beliefs and superstitions and aren't going to be convinced other wise by idiots quoting religious texts.  May their breakfast cereal be filled with mouse-droppings...

Unbeliever

Quote from: trdsf on August 08, 2017, 01:11:52 PM
Also, I don't 'deny' the existence of a deity.  Denial implies there is something provisionally demonstrated to gainsay.  On the grounds of the total and complete lack of evidence, I have no cause to accept the hypothesis in the first place.

Yep, as Charles Bradlaugh pointed out,

QuoteThe atheist does not say," There is no God", but he says, "I know not what you mean by God"; the word God is to me a sound conveying no clear or distinct affirmation.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on August 09, 2017, 01:21:09 PM
Any suggestion I was, am, or ever will be is inaccurate just annoys the crap out of me..
Do cavebears get the crap annoyed out of them in the woods?

Sorry, just thought I'd beat Baruch to it...
God Not Found

Baruch

"the word God is to me a sound conveying no clear or distinct affirmation."  I find this is true of most mutterings of ape men.  Their mouths move, but it doesn't mean anything.  See, rhetorically, let someone define your words for you ... and you are a loser.  And if you corner them, they will say ... but those words don't mean anything.

ܬܥ ܘܘܪܕ Ü"ܘܕ  ܝܣ ܛܘ Ü¡Ü¥ ܐ ܣܘܘܢܕ ܟܘܢÜ'ܥܝܝܢÜ" ܢܘ ܟܠܥܐܪ ܘܪ ܕܝܣܛܝܢܟܛ ܐܦܦܝܪܡܐܛܝܘܢ

Ah yes, if you can't read the words, then they must mean nothing.  Or you are illiterate.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Well, they seem to mean nothing at all to Google, so I guess Google is illiterate...
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 11, 2017, 04:00:27 PM
Well, they seem to mean nothing at all to Google, so I guess Google is illiterate...

The Deep State is blind and deaf.  Like King Lear, it is too decrepit to rule wisely.  Its children betray it.

AI is magical thinking applied to technology.  If there was real AI, Google Translate could easily figure out what I wrote.  Maybe if you can find a few British cross-word puzzle enthusiasts from 1940 ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 09, 2017, 05:24:59 PM
Do cavebears get the crap annoyed out of them in the woods?

Sorry, just thought I'd beat Baruch to it...

We crap freely.  And we pee in the waters beer is made of (that's why it is yellow).