Anyone Here Planning on Taking this Event In?

Started by SGOS, July 18, 2017, 06:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

I live 300 miles from the path of totality, and am planning to drive to a place that is midpoint in its path.  I'm ordering special glasses, and a filter for my camera, but I'm not sure I want to be screwing around with a camera for an event that lasts just over two minutes.  A marginal photo could waste 3 minutes of fumbling of the 2 minutes for the event.  I'm thinking I might just want to soak the event in for the short time available to me.  So I take a picture of the eclipse.  What do I expect to accomplish?  I guess that would be cool to claim ownership of my own photo, but better pictures will be available all over the Net.  I don't think National Geographic will be particularly interested in my photo.  Some of my friends might have marginal interest in it. I might just leave my camera at home.

Baruch

Hoping for partial totality from where I live.  That will have to do.  I don't want to be too close to the revived Aku ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRfCpKSTgq8
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Hakurei Reimu

Me! Taking a trip and everything just to see it!

I hope Oregon isn't going to be too cloudy...

(And Aku doesn't revive. That would suck.)
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

SGOS

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on July 19, 2017, 10:25:15 AM

Good luck there.  It's Oregon.  How far do you have to travel?  I have a good friend who flew all the way to Hawaii for an eclipse.  Of course, he had other reasons to take a trip to Hawaii, so in the event of bad weather, it wouldn't have been a total waste of time and money.  I think he saw the eclipse, but as I recall, it wasn't perfect viewing.  He enjoyed the trip, though.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on July 19, 2017, 10:25:15 AM

(And Aku doesn't revive. That would suck.)
Actually, only half of Oregon is wet.  The eastern half is a high dessert and very dry.  I'd say that Pendleton, or Hermiston, or Bend would be great places to view it and with little to no chances of being cloudy.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: SGOS on July 19, 2017, 10:33:16 AM
Good luck there.  It's Oregon.  How far do you have to travel?  I have a good friend who flew all the way to Hawaii for an eclipse.  Of course, he had other reasons to take a trip to Hawaii, so in the event of bad weather, it wouldn't have been a total waste of time and money.  I think he saw the eclipse, but as I recall, it wasn't perfect viewing.  He enjoyed the trip, though.
We'll be there to see family as well as see the eclipse. Unfortunately, that's in Portland. I suppose we could get to a drier part for the eclipse proper.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

sdelsolray

I'm about 30 miles from the edge of totality and 45 miles from the center of it.  About 10 of us are going to a friend's farm near the centerline of totality near Silverton, OR.  We're going there on Sunday to spend the night (the day before the eclipse) to avoid traffic.  My father in law is bringing a small Televue APO refractor telescope with a solar filter, so we can look at the eclipse through that.  However, totality will only be about 2.25 minutes where we will be located, so each person will only get about 10 seconds each at the scope.

sdelsolray

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on July 19, 2017, 10:48:56 AM
We'll be there to see family as well as see the eclipse. Unfortunately, that's in Portland. I suppose we could get to a drier part for the eclipse proper.

Portland will not be in the zone of totality.  You'll have to go about 35 to 45 miles south of downtown Portland.  Traffic will be a nightmare.

Mike Cl

Quote from: sdelsolray on July 19, 2017, 11:42:07 AM
Portland will not be in the zone of totality.  You'll have to go about 35 to 45 miles south of downtown Portland.  Traffic will be a nightmare.
I looked closer at a map and saw that Albany or Salem would be good places to get a room--book early!  Madras, in eastern Oregon, would be a great place, too.  Shaniko might be too--it's an almost ghost town that has (or used to) a hotel, and is east of Madras.  I doubt Madras would be cloudy.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Atheon

Wish I could, but I'd have to fly across the Pacific to see it, and I won't be visiting the US until October.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Baruch

Quote from: Atheon on July 19, 2017, 12:16:24 PM
Wish I could, but I'd have to fly across the Pacific to see it, and I won't be visiting the US until October.

Watch out for your electronic devices at customs.  That is prima facie proof you are a terrorist ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: sdelsolray on July 19, 2017, 11:40:40 AM
I'm about 30 miles from the edge of totality and 45 miles from the center of it.  About 10 of us are going to a friend's farm near the centerline of totality near Silverton, OR.  We're going there on Sunday to spend the night (the day before the eclipse) to avoid traffic.  My father in law is bringing a small Televue APO refractor telescope with a solar filter, so we can look at the eclipse through that.  However, totality will only be about 2.25 minutes where we will be located, so each person will only get about 10 seconds each at the scope.
I was thinking about buying special binoculars, but now I'm thinking looking at the sun through 10/40 lenses won't be like looking at the moon.  It's the sun, and too far away to see it much differently.  I'm thinking I should dispense with everything but the glasses so I can better take in my surroundings.  Getting caught up in the technology might take away from the changes that will also be experienced on the ground, the quick dimming and change in color of the landscape  and the ensuing silence of the birds.  I'm hoping to find a field with near by forests to experience the entire Gestalt (from another thread LOL) much as the ancients would have experienced it.

SGOS

I just booked a motel for the night before.  Rooms are going fast, and I was forced to settle for a flea bagger.  Most motels are sold out.  I just talked with eclipse junkie friend who booked two rooms back in February, one in Idaho and one in Nebraska, so he can at least have a Plan B if the weather doesn't work in one of those places.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on July 19, 2017, 12:34:33 PM
I was thinking about buying special binoculars, but now I'm thinking looking at the sun through 10/40 lenses won't be like looking at the moon.  It's the sun, and too far away to see it much differently.  I'm thinking I should dispense with everything but the glasses so I can better take in my surroundings.  Getting caught up in the technology might take away from the changes that will also be experienced on the ground, the quick dimming and change in color of the landscape  and the ensuing silence of the birds.  I'm hoping to find a field with near by forests to experience the entire Gestalt (from another thread LOL) much as the ancients would have experienced it.

If you want to experience it as the ancients did, you have to be a pagan, not an atheist.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.