Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Red Spot

Started by Cocoa Beware, July 14, 2017, 05:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cocoa Beware

Juno has sent us a picture of Jupiter's Red Spot from 9000 km:

For the sake of scale:

These remarkable 3D images show the depth of the storm's cloud layers. Winds in the Great Red Spot blow at speeds of about 400 mph:

The Great Red Spot wasn't the only super-storm photographed by Juno, though. This image shows the "North North Temperate Zone Little Red Spot"

Juno has also captured more distant images of Jupiter. This striking view of the planet's south pole was taken May 19 then processed by two "citizen scientists" to bring out the photo's contrast and color:

This is what part of Jupiter's cloud tops looked like on May 19 from roughly 7,800 miles away:

Cavebear

Thank you.  Outstanding pictures...

But why can't they take a decent picture of my back yard?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on July 14, 2017, 07:41:00 PM
Thank you.  Outstanding pictures...

But why can't they take a decent picture of my back yard?
Because your back yard isn't decent?????
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

I'm wearing briefs...

Hakurei Reimu

Delicious science is delicious!

It's almost as good as donations!

Unfortunately, it seems that the great and venerable Great Red Spot may be dying. It wasn't that long ago, when I heard that the GRS was two Earths in diameter. Now it looks to be barely larger than the Earth. I am sad.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Hydra009

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on July 14, 2017, 11:39:33 PM

Unfortunately, it seems that the great and venerable Great Red Spot may be dying. It wasn't that long ago, when I heard that the GRS was two Earths in diameter. Now it looks to be barely larger than the Earth. I am sad.
Yeah but Oval BA (not exactly a catchy name) is reportedly gaining strength.  Jove still has plenty to show us.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on July 14, 2017, 11:39:33 PM

Dying, taking a breather, Atkins Diet, we don't know.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Red is my favorite color too.

Atheon

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Cavebear

What will we decide if the Great Red Sot suddenly disappears?